Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So by now you have probably noticed it - But in case you haven't, the following is now up for pre-order:

Crimson Slaughter: A Codex supplement

The much talked-about supplement is now up for grabs on the Games Workshop website. You can also get a 500-copy limited edition if you are interested in that sort of thing (Which I am - Collector at heart and all.)

Not much has been revealed except that it unlocks Possessed as troops (which is most likely not that usefull, but could be quite fun in fluff games.) I will look forward to seeing the new artifacts and other small tweaks.

Chaos Space Marine Attack Force

To supply the new supplement, a new battleforce is also available. It contains the following models:
- 10 Chaos Space Marines
- 5 Terminators
- 1 Terminator Lord
- 5 Raptors
- 1 Forgefiend
- 1 Rhino

The total price is 120£, which saves you roughly 32£, which is a pretty nice save all together.

Chaos Helbrute

Last, but not least, the awesome new Helbrute model is also out. While the unit is questionable in it's effeciency, the model is kick-ass! The price? 33£.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm buying a bundle! For the first time ever!
I'm going to buy 'The Terror Begins', the one with the helbrute and the supplement. For the low, low price of £63!

(price sold separately, £63)

Take my money gw! :laugh:

·
Registered
358 Posts
you u think they would be better doing 1k son or the death guard and not a little little chapter then added after

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have no problems with a supplement dedicated to a more obscure and new chapter. It helps diversify the fluff more, and it's neat to be at the beginning of something.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
As much as I love the idea of seeing some of the smaller chapters, I think Thousand Sons needs so much work that they really should come next. They're also the most divergent from Chaos, because they never really were active traitors.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
I look forward to spending reading it!

We now have a Legion Codex and a Traitor Codex. (and one that's filled with Daemon type troops for ace alliance with Daemon codex)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think I'll pick up the limited edition codex, it looks super nice and it will give me a slightly different codex to pull from vs the standard dex that I'm borrow from my friend. Then I'll pick up a helbrute near the end of the month hopefully.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
As much as I love the idea of seeing some of the smaller chapters, I think Thousand Sons needs so much work that they really should come next. They're also the most divergent from Chaos, because they never really were active traitors.

That would be great. I love their fluff and it has such a dynamic to it. They really aren't bad, they were just screwed over.

·
Fantasy Rumors
962 Posts
That would be great. I love their fluff and it has such a dynamic to it. They really aren't bad, they were just screwed over.
By slannesh.

I differently going to get the attack force as that sorts out the rest of army. May get the hellbrute just for show as like everyone I think it's a great looking model

·
Registered
313 Posts
Very cool indeed. Love the new Helbrute, but doubt I'll be buying it for now - although, I might of course get a supplement...

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
As I'm pretty sure GW has said...

Shut the fuck up about Legions. You want Legions, bring Cult Troops, or play 30k. The focus on Chaos Space Marines is the warbands, not the Legions.

I think it all looks pretty sweet, and should unlock some pretty cool builds.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
you u think they would be better doing 1k son or the death guard and not a little little chapter then added after
I've been thinking about this and I suspect the reason is more practical than midnight suggests. I think it comes down to creative freedom and fan expectations.

If GW release a cult legion codex it's a smaller sales demographic and there are huge expectations on what a cult legion codex might include and how it would function. Besides, it would be a comparatively large time investment because writing 1 would necessitate writing all the others at some point. If they didn't it would be a public relations nightmare.

By releasing a codex for a new traitor chapter GW can make it anything they want without the fear of directly alienating long time players.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I've been thinking about this and I suspect the reason is new practical than midnight suggests. I think it comes down to creative freedom and fan expectations.

If GW release a cult legion codex it's a smaller sales demographic and there are huge expectations on what a cult legion codex might include and how it would function. Besides, it would be a comparatively large time investment because writing 1 would necessitate writing all the others at some point. If they didn't it would be a public relations nightmare.

By releasing a codex for a new traitor chapter GW can make it anything they want without the fear of directly alienating long time players.
Hear what your saying mate but I find it hard to imagine a legion Dex would not sell like hot cakes - what Chaos player would not jump for joy at a Night Lords Dex, or an Iron Warriors Dex etc? Plus they have already raised this expectation by releasing Black Legion.
The cynical part of me says this is GW milking the fan boys who will part with £30 a pop for any old shite, and they will drip feed this sort of crap into the mix while eventually doing the proper legion Dex slow time - look at the HH series to see how the company will milk a golden goose.

From a gamers perspective, I cannot believe the overwhelming clamour in Bugmans Bar was for this release over Legion?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Sadly by releasing this warband codex they have in my eyes given up on legions altogether. Although, I welcome more diversity in the game I think the idea of a focusing on one warband was a dumb idea. They should have just made a elite version of the current codex, or something along those lines. I mean really who gives a shit about some nobodies that accomplished nothing. I mean loyalist chapters are almost all former legions(Expect maybe the black templar, but they have more or less gotten the sisters of battle treatment at this point), while these idiots are just a bunch of nobodies relatively speaking.

Its like if they suddenly released a codex flesh tearers for the loyalists.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sadly by releasing this warband codex they have in my eyes given up on legions altogether. Although, I welcome more diversity in the game I think the idea of a focusing on one warband was a dumb idea. They should have just made a elite version of the current codex, or something along those lines. I mean really who gives a shit about some nobodies that accomplished nothing. I mean loyalist chapters are almost all former legions(Expect maybe the black templar, but they have more or less gotten the sisters of battle treatment at this point), while these idiots are just a bunch of nobodies relatively speaking.

Its like if they suddenly released a codex flesh tearers for the loyalists.
Correction: Templars were IF's First Company and were forced to split via Guilliman's Heresy. They have just as much claim to First Founding as any other Chapter who doesnt have any original members after ten thousand years. But yeah, soft squat.

To everything else, 100% agreement. Its a sad day for the customer base when you clamor non-stop for something and are given the exact opposite.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Stop the moaning chaps just because GW didnt release your toys this time round doesnt mean your toys have been forgotten forever, truth is alot of the legion stuff has had its time in the limelight and its someone else's turn to take a bow, given the speed they are pumping out data slates and companions and codexs and the obscure shite they have covered already it's only a matter of time before GW pump out some legion love.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
633 Posts
As I'm pretty sure GW has said...

Shut the fuck up about Legions. You want Legions, bring Cult Troops, or play 30k. The focus on Chaos Space Marines is the warbands, not the Legions.

I think it all looks pretty sweet, and should unlock some pretty cool builds.
It's a fair enough argument, even if it is presented in a somewhat abrasive way. Warbands are to CSMs what Chapters are to SMs.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Ok.

I also would like to add.. Basically the Black Leagion supplement is about a Chosen Army! This one is Demonically Possessed Army (their are rules to make the lord as Possessed, gets the possessed traits, Deamon, It will not die and few other special rules)

Its very fun for that type of thing!

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I have to agree with bits here.

While I would love a codex for my Iron Warriors, I don't see codex: crimson slaughter as it's antithesis.

Besides as the man said, at the rate GW are producing supplements there may be many things in the works. Especially if GW have really given up on internal/competitive "balance" as a design goal (and signs are that they have) then there really isn't a limit on what they might release - what ever will enrich the setting and make GW money is fair game.

Clearly, from the latest raft of releases, competitive and internal army balance aren't really a consideration. Everything can be widely allied and therefore more likely to sell.

The broadening allies also greatly expands the meta game by adding do many more options.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts