Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the situation. I currently have blog: Maverike Prime's Forces and sometime in the not too distant future I will be upgrading/upscaling it to an actual .com website. Now presently the content of the current blog makes it's little more then a "Here's what I've done" sort of thing. I want to make it more then that. I want to make a website that can actually serve the Warhammer community by and large. So here my first step:

What should be on it? What would make you go to a particular site for warhammer material? Modeling tutorials? Painting Guides? Army Galleries? Battle reports? Product reviews?
I've gone to From the Warp (surprise surprise, it's actually run by someone I know) and It's got lots of information. But does that make it a good site? It's got lots of links to other warhammer site (my present one included), but does that make it a good site or just a good jumping off point?

I guess the best way to sum this question up is to ask: What do you want to find on a Warhammer/40k site?

Oh and one other thing. I do intend to open the website up the community by supporting other people's efforts, posting ads, and inviting others to post their material to the site as well. So telling me you would want the ability to post something or something in that line is fine too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A wiki based painting and modelling tutorial could be handy, but might get confusing as some people tips and tricks interfere with others. I just like wikis, despite their flaws.

·
4,491 Posts
First of all, i would make sure that your hosting package and domain are with a reliable provider.
I assume that you are aware of all the tricks and scams when it comes to web hosting companies like over selling, domain ransoming, etc etc?
If you need to know anything, feel free to ask.

For your website itself, if you want it to take off then you really need to do 1 of 2 things.

1- Fill your site with LOTS of REALLY GOOD content and update it REGUARLY.
There are literally millions of websites out there dedicated to miniature wargaming. The chances of people looking at yours on a regular basis is slim to nil.
Going back 10+ years it was a lot easier to get your website looked at. Now with the number of websites registered you are nothing more than a drop in the ocean.

2- Spend a fortune on advertising. It can be quite effective, but EXTREMELY expensive.
Problem is, it will require a MASSIVE investment (probably in the $100,000+ region), which is impossible to justify on a "hobby" web design project.

I have created several websites that got used on a regular basis, but due to the cost of the upkeep of the domain and the hosting cost, along with the minuscule income from advertising, i was forced to abandon everything.
I now only own 1 domain and 1 shared hosting account with an extremely reliable and reputable host, and basically just use the hosting account as a way to access my files from any computer and occasionally muck around with php scripts and mySQL databases for fun rather than public access.

Although i dont have any advise for the content of your website, i hope that what i have said will help you out a bit.
Dont expect to make money out of it. It will cost you a lot more than you will make, but the main thing is to have fun doing it. :)

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing the result. :grin:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I sort of got the impression that more than being a major player in miniature wargaming sites, he wanted to use the site as a blog with a little extra tacked on to the side to be useful to others.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
KingOfCheese and Daz are both pretty much right. What I'm leaning toward doing is inviting multiple people on board as writers while I function as the admin (In addition to being a writer). Each person can post about pretty much whatever they want so long as it's hobby related. So in that particular venue it would be a blog site. That way there should be a roughly constant flow of information and have it be different enough to interest a variety of people.

The other part of the site will be more static and would be used for reference. That is where I'll post tutorials and such. As a bit of a bonus to anyone who does come on board as a writer, I'm going to set up a gallery system for the posters if they want to display their armies/models.

As it stands right now, I would like to bring in a range of content from model building and converting, to rules discussion and army lists, to model reviews and battle reports. If I can get 6 or 7 other people to write in addition to myself I figure that will give a broad enough range of individuals to cover a variety of topics such that it won't turn into a "This is a X-army" site.

I know that kinda sounds like I knew what I wanted when I made the original post and maybe I kinda did I just didn't know I had it.

I did some looking at different Word Press themes and I found one that I like the lay out of, but I'm not crazy about the colors. I'm looking into seeing what's coded how and what it will take to change it.

But here's the layout:

I figure it'll have the most recent 3 posts referenced right there with a rotating banner of the last 6-8 posts (or maybe particularly note worthy posts like Battle reports from Adepticon or Games Day).

So I guess the next question is "Does anyone want to join me as a writer?"

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he he I love the power I have to make everyone scatter simply by stating "Anyone want to help me?" now if there is just some way I can make that work out to be a profit for me...

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
he he I love the power I have to make everyone scatter simply by stating "Anyone want to help me?" now if there is just some way I can make that work out to be a profit for me...

Bad statement...

This is wargaming... the only sites I know of that run profit are BoLs, Librarium, CMON and TMP. You simply won't make a meaningful profit until you have 750k or more visitors per month. Even then CPM and CPC networks return fuck all.

My advise is look at the successful sites in your niche, take all the points that make them successful add your own unique spin (simply copying sites doesn't work) and promote the shit out of it.

You'll struggle to find decent contributors too, we have 160k visitors a month and very few "article" writers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bad statement...
My advise is look at the successful sites in your niche, take all the points that make them successful add your own unique spin (simply copying sites doesn't work) and promote the shit out of it.
Which kind of leads back to my original question of what sites you (you being anyone who's reading this thread) visit. Like I said, I personally I don't like BoLS. I think the layout is waaaaay too cramped. The information itself is good, I just can't stand reading it on the site itself.

Librarium, if you mean the Wiki that's a whole separate comparison. Wiki's and News sites serve 2 different purposes, though that can be modified to cross-cover.

CMON and TMP, don't know which ones those are. Mind dropping links?

You'll struggle to find decent contributors too, we have 160k visitors a month and very few "article" writers.
I like a challenge. Speaking of challenges, I sent you a PM Jezlad. Did you get it?

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Which kind of leads back to my original question of what sites you (you being anyone who's reading this thread) visit. Like I said, I personally I don't like BoLS. I think the layout is waaaaay too cramped. The information itself is good, I just can't stand reading it on the site itself.
If your aim is to make profit you'll need a layout like BoLS.

They have huge areas dedicated to advertising space and all the articles are on seperate pages. Remember when they first started they had articles on the front page? Well now they're getting paid "CPM" (cost per impression) they need the most page views they can get. This does 2 things, makes them more attractive to prospecive advertisers (they can claim to be more popular and busier if they have millions more page views) plus the extra impressions from people visiting earns more CPM revenue.

BoLS is a money making engine. They have huge income and no outgoings... google host their site and they don't pay any contributors. Its 99% filler shit designed to gain page clicks...

Librarium is a forum - Librarium Online. The site is riddled with tonnes of banner ads above the fold. It's really quite distracting.

No I didnt get your PM either :unsure: can you send it over again?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/

http://theminiaturespage.com/

·
4,491 Posts
NEVER make a website with the expectation of making money from it.

Do it for the fun of it instead.

If you are intending to make money from it, you will get bored within the first couple of months and end up giving up on it.

Getting traffic is extremely hard. Simply having a 40K blog is nowhere near enough of a niche for people to bother visiting your site. It will offer them nothing that they couldnt get from other sites.

If you want it to be successful, then try to narrow your focus. Make it purely about Imperial Guard, or about Dark Eldar, or Tyranids. You get the idea.

Sure you will have a smaller target of people (as they will only be people that play that particular army), but you will find that you will get more page views as the people who play that army can access information about it without filtering through everything else.

If there was a new 40k blog starting up, to be honest i wouldnt even bother looking at it. I dont even look at BOLS or anything. Heresy is my website for my 40k information.

However, if there was one starting up that was dedicated PURELY to Imperial Guard, id probably take a look at it, and id even read through most of the articles.

Just a thought anyway.

But yeah, don't expect to make money from it.
If its not something thats "fun" creating, then it wont last long.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
NEVER make a website with the expectation of making money from it.

Do it for the fun of it instead.

If you are intending to make money from it, you will get bored within the first couple of months and end up giving up on it.

Getting traffic is extremely hard. Simply having a 40K blog is nowhere near enough of a niche for people to bother visiting your site. It will offer them nothing that they couldnt get from other sites.

If you want it to be successful, then try to narrow your focus. Make it purely about Imperial Guard, or about Dark Eldar, or Tyranids. You get the idea.

Sure you will have a smaller target of people (as they will only be people that play that particular army), but you will find that you will get more page views as the people who play that army can access information about it without filtering through everything else.

If there was a new 40k blog starting up, to be honest i wouldnt even bother looking at it. I dont even look at BOLS or anything. Heresy is my website for my 40k information.

However, if there was one starting up that was dedicated PURELY to Imperial Guard, id probably take a look at it, and id even read through most of the articles.

Just a thought anyway.

But yeah, don't expect to make money from it.
If its not something thats "fun" creating, then it wont last long.
Nice to know I'm not the only person who thinks like this. It was never my intention to build a website for the goal of profit. If I can build it break even that'd be fine. My goal, as I previously stated, was to serve the gaming community. That is my objective, and it will always be my objective. Do I intend to have ads on the site? Sure. An extra $5 toward the operating budget of the site is never a bad thing. I understand that BoLS is considered 'susseccful' because of it's ability to turn profit. I will not argue that point. Guess what, I'm not advertising on their site, and I'm not going to their site for the ads. Actually I don't go to their site at all anymore because everything from there that I have an interest in I get on the RSS feed with out the ads.

::edit:: (sorry my 'enter' button decided to have an identity crisis and submitted the post instead of entering a carriage return)

CMN is nice, but once you get right down to it's just another photosharing system. No argument about that being a service to the community. But it is what it is.

MP at first glance looks more like the type of resource I want to develop, but could use some design help. I could be wrong about it. It's content could be totally different then what I think it is at first glance. I don't see an 'about' or 'about us' link anywhere.

As it stands right now, its looks like building a site with a focus on the 'non-game' aspects of the hobby will be my best bet. Basically a site dedicated to tournaments, rules discussions, tactics, and fluff. BoLS has some of this, but again it's all lost under the ads.

·
4,491 Posts
An extra $5 toward the operating budget of the site is never a bad thing.
Yeh... about that....

If you use Google (or just about any other company) for your banner adds, they will have a minimum amount of income you need to achieve before you can withdraw the money.
Usually its around $100.

My first website i spent around $50 on during its life (hosting, domain, etc), and it made about $20 in advertising.
Website views started to drop rapidly, monthly hosting cost kept coming in, and i shut it down.
Went to draw out the $20.... nope.... need a minimum of $100. :(

Never bothered with advertising since. Waste of time.
If you want to use advertising, talk to a website/company about placing a banner on your site recommending their site for a monthly/weekly/daily fee.
While it will take quite a while for anyone to want to advertise with you (if at all), at least you know that you will actually get the money.

That $20 is still sitting in there to this day.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yeh... about that....
I was being generalistic King.

even if the ads only return $100 a year, that's $8 a month toward the operating cost of the website. I'm not saying no to that.

Heck, even if it adds up to nothing per year it's not a big deal. I'm not planning on paying for the site through advertising.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.