Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about doing an army, Tau Primary, Eldar Secondary. I know Tau pretty well, but I know next to nothing about Eldar, so that's why I'm posting here, and would like some assistance.

Most people who know me know I love walkers, and with newer codices, the monstrous creatures that might as well be walkers.

I'm thinking, in the loosest terms, to build an army of heavy 'mechs', and by that term I basically mean anything larger than normal, walker style. And what's not walking, I'm considering running in tanks, to keep a mechanized, mobile force. As I said, i could really use the assistance of some Eldar expertise on this half.

Tau Detachment

Cadre Fireblade

Cadre Fireblade

Firewarriors x12
Devilfish w/ SMS

Firewarriors x12
Devilfish w/ SMS

I like the Fireblade for how potent they can make firewarriors. Adding them to Firewarrior squads offers 26 30" shots when they fire, and the Devilfish can get them all over the place. I like using the SMS, making them pocket tanks. Not sure the best wargear for them, possibly sensor spines and Disruption Pods.

Riptide
Ion Accelerator
Early warning override, Counter defense

Riptide
Ion Accelerator

Two beefy jump monstrous creatures with an amazingly versatile gun. I could use other options for the secondary weapons.

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2

Larger 'mechs', and my primary anti air, based on raw volume of shots.

Eldar Detachment

Spirit Seer

Wraith Blades x5
Wave Serpent?

Wraith Blades x5
Wave Serpent?

Wraithknight
x2 really-big-guns?

I don't know what the points would be of a squad like this, and how feasible it would be. Basically I have lots of mechanized units, from elite troopers in mobile light tanks, to larger close combat 'robots' in the Blades, and I've heard that Wave Serpents can make similiar nice pocket tanks to move them around.

The Wraith Knight plus the two Riptides would make for a honking huge centerpiece for an army, all of them with impressive firepower.

But... would it work as a 2000 pt list?

·
Registered
720 Posts
If I counted right it all adds up to 1873 points. I suggest putting twin bright lances on the wave serpents and holofields. Maybe you might want to switch the wraith blades for wraithguard

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not very familiar with the Wraithguard and their ranged weaponry. I know how the blades work with those options, but not the ranged weaponry. I think the D-Scythes are some sort of flamers, basically? If so, those might make decent front liners... Tau suffers greatly from front liners, which is why having Blades might have helped.

·
Registered
720 Posts
D-scythes are ap2 flamers with the str of a bolter. The other weapon is a 12inch str of a rail cannon assault weapon. Which can insta-kill on a 6

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you're suggesting one squad with cannons, and one with scythes? Or one with scythes, and one with swords?

I've always been more of a ranged-support army person personally. I also don't know how I'd kit out the Wraithknight... I assume the primary is the super-guns and scatters to twin-link them?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Cannons and d-scythes. Heavy cannons on wraithknight for more heavy anti tank. No need for scatter laser because they can't twin link the cannons because he can only fire two guns a turn which should be the two cannons

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. Food for thought. I really need to get myself a copy of the Codex to see how the points would work, and check for upgrades on the light tanks.

I think i read that Warlocks can't affect the Wraithguard... And right now I don't actually have a good spot to hide the Spiritseer, he kind of stands out compared to everything else. Possibly protecting the Broadsides, but something like Guide would be redundant.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The spirit seer can go with the wraith guard in the wave serpent. Also spirit seer can only role on the runes of battle or telepathy.

Reactions: Xabre

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to wait until I see the codex for the runes, but yeah, sounds like putting the Seer with one Wraith unit would work best.

Thank you for the assist. +rep.

Any one else want to chip in on this one?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm no expert on Tau, but having three Broadsides plus the Wraithknight may be a bit overkill?

Definitely take the Serpants though. Probably with Shuriken Cannon and Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannon, or TL Scatter Laser and Shuriken Cannon (not sure what will be the best, its a trade off between the possibility of more AP2 wounds from the Shuriken Cannons, or more hits from the Scatter Laser helping out?).

Maybe also take some Vypers with Scatter Laser and Shuriken Cannons to support the Serpants. It'll dramatically increase the amount of S6 shots you bring with that added posibility of AP2 Shuriken weapons.

I'm not really sure how else I can help you here. There are so few Eldar slots in the list that I feel a little helpless!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm no expert on Tau, but having three Broadsides plus the Wraithknight may be a bit overkill?
The Current codex, Broadsides are not as messily anti-tank as they used to be. They either run a TL S8 AP2 gun, plus a pair of secondary weapons, OR TL S7 AP4 Heavy 4, plus the secondaries. If you then add Missile Drones, you effectively can have something like 10-12 autocannon shots, most of those twin linked, making them extremely effective anti-air, even without the Skyfire rule.

Definitely take the Serpants though. Probably with Shuriken Cannon and Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannon, or TL Scatter Laser and Shuriken Cannon (not sure what will be the best, its a trade off between the possibility of more AP2 wounds from the Shuriken Cannons, or more hits from the Scatter Laser helping out?).
I'm not sure if I'd rather go with Light weaponry, or use some more heavy firepower, like the bright lances. I deffinitely like having access to some strong anti-tank. The Wraith will have some S10 available to it, and the Wraithguards, but only at short range, so having the Serpent able to help all across the board is deffinitely useful. I'm not faimiliar with the current ShuriCannon stats; isn't the AP2 only anti-infantry on 6s? rending-lite?

Maybe also take some Vypers with Scatter Laser and Shuriken Cannons to support the Serpants. It'll dramatically increase the amount of S6 shots you bring with that added posibility of AP2 Shuriken weapons.

I'm not really sure how else I can help you here. There are so few Eldar slots in the list that I feel a little helpless!
That's part of the problem; I'm running Eldar only as allies. That means at most I could have one FA slot, one Heavy slot, etc.

The two Riptides with the Ion Accelerator offers some decent mid-strength firepower, and I can overcharge them (or Nova charge, but I doubt that will be needed much) for AP2 as well. The Vypers sort of go witht he theme, but really don't, as I'm going mostly for large walkers and some battle tanks (or light tanks, in this case). But again, just more anti-infantry firepower. I also get the Firewarriors, and they can unload 26 shots each at 30"... not Ap2, but I can go for sheer volume.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm not sure if I'd rather go with Light weaponry, or use some more heavy firepower, like the bright lances. I deffinitely like having access to some strong anti-tank. The Wraith will have some S10 available to it, and the Wraithguards, but only at short range, so having the Serpent able to help all across the board is deffinitely useful. I'm not faimiliar with the current ShuriCannon stats; isn't the AP2 only anti-infantry on 6s? rending-lite?
All shuriken weapons have the rule 'Bladestorm' which means any rolls to wound of a 6 are AP2...which is crazy. So yeah 'Rending-lite'!!

Broadsides, Wraithknight, Riptides, Wraithguard...I think with this list you should have anti-tank wrapped up, so you probably won't need the Bright Lances. You may also want to think about what your opponent will be targeting. If you have two Serpents side by side, one sporting Lances and the other Shuriken Cannons, which would you be more likely to shoot? It's all about the mind games with Eldar. You want to be keeping those Serpents alive as long as possible so they can deliver their Wraithguard payload, and if they're all souped up, they won't get far.

The Vypers sort of go witht he theme, but really don't, as I'm going mostly for large walkers and some battle tanks (or light tanks, in this case). But again, just more anti-infantry firepower. I also get the Firewarriors, and they can unload 26 shots each at 30"... not Ap2, but I can go for sheer volume.
If you're not keen on the Vypers you could always consider another Fire Warriors squad and Devilfish. No Fireblade I know, but it's still another Tank, loads more shots and that all important 5th scoring unit. It might be worth keeping in mind.

In a mainly shoot-ey style list like this you don't really have much more of a choice in terms of Eldar. You've got the HQ, Troops and Heavy Support sorted, so the only other units you can take that fit are Fire Dragons in Serpent (Won't bring much with the Wraithguard around fulfilling the same job) and Fliers (and I think I recall you saying you weren't into Eldar Fliers? May have been someone else!!).

So, if you don't want to add any of the above I think the best thing you can do is take this list to the Tau forums and get them to analyse it and sort out some more Tau units. I think as far as the Eldar go, you're set.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I honestly don't know the eldar fliers, only the FW ones. I hate the model, but I have no problem repainting a Razorwing. Hell, I'm probably going to be using count as for a lot of the models... and the Broadsides are enough anti-flier that I don't know if I need to add another one.

Tau I know fairly well, but the problem was the points... without points and exact stats, which I don't have for the Eldar part of this, it's hard for me to point out and tweak. I wanted to make sure of the Eldar contingency first, and to get suggestions on that end of things, and then hopefully try and put together a full list.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Current list:

Tau Detachment
Cadre Fireblade

Cadre Fireblade

Firewarriors x11
Devilfish w/ SMS, Disruption Pods, Sensor Spines

Firewarriors x11

Riptide
Ion Accelerator

Riptide
Ion Accelerator

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2

This is 1200 points

Eldar Detachment

Spirit Seer

Wraithguard x5
D-Cannons
Wave Serpent w Shuricannons and more Shuricannons (maybe EMLs?)

Wraithguard x5
D-Scythes

Wraithknight
Heavy D-whatever they're called.

No idea how many points this is, and what's left. I'm pretty sure it's NOT 800.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Eldar contingent is 910pts. You may also want to think about adding Holo-fields to the Serpents to boost their cover save a little. (That's an extra 15pts each.)

Not sure about the EML's. They are pretty good, but they got super expensive in this new codex and I'm personally not sure if they're worth it.

Good luck with the Tau side of things!! You have 900pts (ish) you're going to need it!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
What's crazy about Tau and Eldar? The two books were made for each other, you pretty much can't go wrong...

I'm going to second the Scatter Laser+Shuriken Cannon Loadout. Mass TL S6 is more powerful than people give it credit.

Not loving Vypers tbh, there's better things in the FA slot (namely Spiders and Hawks).

Current list:

Tau Detachment
Cadre Fireblade

Cadre Fireblade
I'm not loving Fireblades, you don't bring enough Fire Warriors to make them worthwhile (and even them they are ordinary).

I think an Iridium Commander is better here. He provides a lot more to the suits you're bringing. Even an Ethereal is a better buy.

Firewarriors x11

Firewarriors x11
Yay! FoF is back! No complaints here.

Riptide
Ion Accelerator

Riptide
Ion Accelerator
These are good, but you already knew that, didn't you?

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2
I honestly prefer Crisis, mostly due to being cheaper and having relentless, I'd at least be looking to take one unit and attaching an Iridium Commander for the PENChip plus tanking capability. Then with whatever points are left bring broadsides.

Eldar Detachment

Spirit Seer

Wraithguard x5
D-Cannons

Wraithguard x5
D-Scythes

Wraithknight
Heavy D-whatever they're called.

No idea how many points this is, and what's left. I'm pretty sure it's NOT 800.
I really don't think the Wraithguard are worth it here.

The main reason to be bringing Eldar into a Tau army is to have a Farseer hand out buffs to the shooty Tau (Guide + Prescience on Tau? Yes please!); to that end a Spiritseer seems bad here. I think swap the Spiritseer for a Farseer, and swap the Wraithguard for Guardians or Dire Avengers (your call there).

I also don't love Wraithknights, but If you have 2 Riptides, it actually could be really good, so I guess it stays. If you're going to run it, I'm thinking take the S10 guns, since you don't have much else if you drop the wraithguard, and you already roflstomp infantry with your Tau anyways.

As an aside, I think the Tau should be bringing a Quad Gun, funnily enough. If you put an Iridium Commander on it, the Interceptor is outrageously good at preventing people from knocking out your AA before you can respond. Otherwise your main AA is likely to cop a Vendetta (or similar) or two and die to the alpha strike, and then you simply don't have enough fire to deal with multiple flyers.

·
Autarch of Heresy
886 Posts
Cadre Fireblade

Cadre Fireblade

Firewarriors x12
Devilfish w/ SMS

Firewarriors x12
Devilfish w/ SMS

I like the Fireblade for how potent they can make firewarriors. Adding them to Firewarrior squads offers 26 30" shots when they fire, and the Devilfish can get them all over the place. I like using the SMS, making them pocket tanks. Not sure the best wargear for them, possibly sensor spines and Disruption Pods.
This is fine, however you don't need Sensor Spines on average but the Disruption pods will be very useful. If i had to make a suggestion I would give 2-3 Warriors a Pulse Carbine so you can add some pinning to the unit. IT would lower your shots @ 30' but if you pin a unit you are close too then that is very sexy.

Riptide
Ion Accelerator

Riptide
Ion Accelerator

Two beefy jump monstrous creatures with an amazingly versatile gun. I could use other options for the secondary weapons.
They really should cost 210 each, this gives them Interceptor, Skyfire, a Ion Accel. In the list as you currently have it I would recommend giving them a TL-Fusion Blaster since you don't have much...or actually any melta.

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2

Broadside
HYMP, Shield Drone x2

Larger 'mechs', and my primary anti air, based on raw volume of shots.
This is fine although you don't really need the Shield Drones IMO. YMMV

Spirit Seer

Wraith Blades x5
Wave Serpent?

Wraith Blades x5
Wave Serpent?

Wraithknight
x2 really-big-guns?

I don't know what the points would be of a squad like this, and how feasible it would be. Basically I have lots of mechanized units, from elite troopers in mobile light tanks, to larger close combat 'robots' in the Blades, and I've heard that Wave Serpents can make similiar nice pocket tanks to move them around.
This is okay but doesn't add much to your list. After a few playtests that 36' range really bums me out. I CANNOT BELIEVE I AM SAYING THIS, but possibly giving him the sword and board +2 Secondary weapons would be best.

The Wraithguard are need but are really only useful for point defense unless your opponent cannot handle their rides. I would recommend 1 unit of Wraithguard with Flamers, give the serpents a Bright Lance, and replace the second unit with Guardians and a Heavy Weapon (bright lance). This gives you more bodies, more shots, and more long range presence that isn't Str 6/7 spam.

The spirit seer doesn't add much to the whole list but is a nice and cheap HQ.

I can give you a better list setup if you tell me exactly what you are trying to achieve with the list.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts