Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
these may seem like really noobish q's but thats because i am, i've played 40k for about 10yrs and am just starting to play fantasy and i must say i am rather dissapointed with the rule book, it seems to leave out some pretty important things, what i would like to know is:

1. what actually constitutes a magical attack? is it a spell, a wound from a magic weapon? an attack from a demon or ethereal?

2. after the first turn of combat one unit destroys another in cc (not breaks, destroys) does that unit get a consolation move? say d3/6 inches like in 40k?

3. do models on a chariot carrying great weapons get +2 or +1 strength?

4. if a model on a chariot for example an arch lector on a war altar is in a challenge with another model but other units are in base contact with said war altar can they attack the chariot itself or do they have to leave it alone?

5. if a wizard or priest is in a challenge can said wizard or priest cast spells/prayers on a different enemy unit than the one he is fighting in the magic phase even if the spell does not require line of sight?

6. can mounted models like outriders enter and fire from buildings?

again i apologise if to some of the more veteran gamers these questions appear obvious but i can't find anything in the rule book about it

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
these may seem like really noobish q's but thats because i am, i've played 40k for about 10yrs and am just starting to play fantasy and i must say i am rather dissapointed with the rule book, it seems to leave out some pretty important things, what i would like to know is:
Wow, honestly, i think it's the most comprehensive of the rulebooks, and most things can be found if you look hard enough. The complexity of the game does make it harder to find some things mind...

1. what actually constitutes a magical attack? is it a spell, a wound from a magic weapon? an attack from a demon or ethereal?
Yes. Any attack of magical origin. All of the above except ethereal.

2. after the first turn of combat one unit destroys another in cc (not breaks, destroys) does that unit get a consolation move? say d3/6 inches like in 40k?
Just like breaking, a unit overruns 2d6" or 3d6" (if cav.) This is all on p43 of the BRB.

3. do models on a chariot carrying great weapons get +2 or +1 strength?
Ohh... good one... I'd say +2, as they are not cavalry.

4. if a model on a chariot for example an arch lector on a war altar is in a challenge with another model but other units are in base contact with said war altar can they attack the chariot itself or do they have to leave it alone?
Leave it alone. p77 of the BRB "No other models may attack them or their mount even if they're bases are touching"

5. if a wizard or priest is in a challenge can said wizard or priest cast spells/prayers on a different enemy unit than the one he is fighting in the magic phase even if the spell does not require line of sight?
Beyond the fact that it is a 1on1 combat, it otherwise follows the normal rules for combat, so yes. They can.

6. can mounted models like outriders enter and fire from buildings?
Cavalry cannot enter buildings, or charge units in them.

again i apologise if to some of the more veteran gamers these questions appear obvious but i can't find anything in the rule book about it
No worries! Like i said, some of the particulars are buried deep in the book, so dont hesitate to ask!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know you mentioned page 43, but am i still missing something, it doesnt seem to cover the circumstance where the opposing unit is annihilated.

I called GW and the guys just said that the winning unit doesnt do anything unless the pursue a fleeing enemy unit, or overun if its the turn they charged.

If I have got it wrong I'd love to know as im new to wh as well

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
p43

"OVERRUN!

If a unit charges into combat and, by the end of that turn's combat phase all its enemies have been wiped out, the unit may make a pursuit move, even with nobody left alive to pursue. This is an overrun move and represents the unit surging forwards, hungry to find more enemies to fight."

its in the middle of the page dude.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this isn't what i meant, i meant after the first turn of combat, ie you charge on turn a, no body flees, overuns etc but on turn b you wipe out the opposing squad, you havent charged that turn so would you still get the overun move? if not then what happens? do you just stay there?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
that is a massacre and the winners can consolidate. pg 43 still

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
sorry for misunderstanding, but thats an excellent question, to which i cannot find the answer either..

·
Registered
445 Posts
Overrun only mentions a charging unit so you do not get any movement. You just sit there after killing the enemy.

Also, white lions in a chariot are "mounted" in a chariot. This means that the +1 S for great weapons applies to them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
really? when they first appeared on the pages of white dwarf it stated that the white lions chariot is a beast in combat giving 4 st 5 attacks and 2 st 6 attacks on top of impact hits, that leads me to think that they're not "mounted" plus "mounted" in the rule book only refers to cavalry for the closest description.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in addition to my last, issue wd335 pg 31,white lion chariot, quote "this chariot is one of the hardest hitting in the game with four s5 and two s6 attacks plus impact hits"end quote

1 - 11 of 11 Posts