Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like the fact that the space marine codex allows its regular troop choice only bolters. Is it okay if I switch codexes and use a "counts as" army. I wanted to do imperial fists, but if all imperial fists are skilled with a blade fluff wise it makes no sense that most of my army is only armed with bolters for close combat. I am also not very familiar with the codexes other options. What should I do. I was thinking of just using grey hunters as my classical imperial fist as they seem a little more "stern and closecombatish"

·
Unforgiven
689 Posts
I've actually seen a SM army used the CSM codex.

Vanilla CSM= Tactical Squad
Chaos Lord= Captain
Havocs= Devastators
Berzerkers= Vanguard Vets
Plague Marines= Sternguard Vets
Raptors= Assault Squad
Most of the others are pretty self- explanatory
Chaos Marks were just attributed to Battle Honors/Blessings

Last time I saw the list, the guy working on it was working on a tech-marine w/servitor conversion that was going to count as an Obliterator.

It would let your marines have that extra close combat attack, as all Chaos Marines have Bolter, Pistol, and CCW.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Space Marines are Space Marines. Use whatever codex you like.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
You can run a very plain space wolf army (ie no long fangs, TWC, etc...) and be able to build a very solid list for your Imperial Fists...

Downsides, bikes and jumpers suck compared to regular marines - so your fast attack slot becomes speeders. Also you lose the Sgt in your tac squad and have to burn an Elite slot to take Wolf Guard... Also, running Termies is more expensive
Upsides - you get much better troop choices...

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I don't see a problem with it, well I do but there is no logic to it. Just make sure you tell him what is going on and shy aware from rules like MOTW. Hell, you could even use TWC and call them stern guard cav or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts