Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Counting attacks

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Winterous 
#1 ·
I always assumed that my Guardsman has 1 attack because he has a CCW, and that my Sergeant has 2 attacks because he has a CCW and a Pistol, but I got confuzzled today. I was browsing the C:SM and I saw that Tacticals have Bolters as well as Bolt Pistols, but are only listed as having 1 attack. "Oh, no, only the Sergeant has the Pistol, that's why he's got 2 attacks." I thought, but then I remembered to turn a few pages and find the Assault Squad. Bolt Pistol. Chainsword. One attack. Wait, what?
In one codex it says that gear bonuses are included in the profile, and the other doesn't even mention this. How exactly do I count attacks? And how many attacks does the sergeant have in the end, two? Three? Eleven?

#3 ·
Profiles almost never include the bonus attack for two weapons. That's why it's a bonus attack. The profile stat is static whereas the total number of attacks a model has may fluctuate due to selected options, special rules, or just by initiating an Assault.

#9 ·
Just for clarification Tyranids never get extra attacks for additional weapons as it states in the codex that this is already reflected in their profile.

As much as id like to say that a warrior with 3? attacks plus a pair of scything talons and a pair of rending talons gets 6 attacks I dont think my opponent would be very happy :p

#8 ·
It is indeed :laugh:
Tactical Marines have 1 attack base, but only have a Bolter and a Pistol, they only have 1 attack in CC normally.
Assault Marines have a Bolt Pistol AND a CCW, so they have 2 attacks.

Please note: In certain cases where you have an assault weapon and a bolt pistol, for example, a grey hunter equiped with a Melta gun. you do not gain the +1 attack on the charge if you fire your Melta gun the same turn.
Yeah, that's completely wrong.
If there are no special rules, then the weapon you fire in the Shooting phase (unless it's a Rapid Fire or Heavy weapon) means nothing for the Assault.
As long as you have 2CC weapons, you get a bonus attack (unless you have multiple different special weapons, but that very rarely happens).

#6 ·
yes, effectively 2 CCWs = 1 bonus attack. so base + 1.

your sargent, who has a BP and a chain sword has 2 CCWs and 2 attacks base. so he has 3 attacks.

Please note: In certain cases where you have an assault weapon and a bolt pistol, for example, a grey hunter equiped with a Melta gun. you do not gain the +1 attack on the charge if you fire your Melta gun the same turn.

#7 ·
This isn't true. :toot:

The weapon you fire in the shooting phase has no bearing on the weapon(s) you use in the assault phase.

If, however, your codex allows you to exchange an asault marine's usual bolt pistol + chainsword loadout for a meltagun + chainsword, you will lose your bonus attack as meltaguns can't be used as CCWs in an assault.

#11 ·
Boz, basically, when figuring how many attacks you get, you always start with the base number in the profile. Then you check how many single-handed weapons the model is equipped with, 2 or more will usually mean a +1 attack, certain combos negate this and disallow any additional attacks. Then you add in possible bonuses from special wargear (mandiblaster, tormentor helm, etc) and any charge bonuses (anywhere from +1 to +6). Bear in mind that there is also wargear that negates plusses for additional weapons (DE Wyches) and charging (defensive grenades). See, simple, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.