Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I promised a few weeks back, when showing my converted DG Raptors (see them here: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64983), that I'd post what I've done so far for Mortarion's Boys of the XIV.

The plan was initially to paint up old minis, then it became a challenge to collect all the DG minis made to date (Mission accomplished - less the awful plastic minis of the mid '90s - with two left to paint) and now it's an aspiration to complete a 5,000pt army list (which will have options, so more than 5,000pts painted).

Anyway, here's what there is so far (you should be able to click the images to make them larger):

Seven squads of Death Guard Plague Marines

View attachment 7080
View attachment 7081
View attachment 7082
View attachment 7083
View attachment 7084
View attachment 7085
View attachment 7086

My DG Havoc Squad

View attachment 7087

My Converted DG Raptors

View attachment 7091

My Converted DG Lord

View attachment 7088

My Typhus

View attachment 7090

My Forgeworld DG Sorceror

View attachment 7089

My Classic Palanquin (I have the second Palanquin Rider, to be used in a conversion)

View attachment 7092

Two Rhinos, for the DG Squads (More to follow over time)

View attachment 7094
View attachment 7095

This is an ongoing and growing project, which I may post an army list up elsewhere for comments an analysis, but feedback here is welcome!

·
Registered
836 Posts
AW.
FUCK.
YEAH.

Nice solid paintjob, a good mix of old and new converted and as-is models, perfect preparation, and some inventive conversions and style.

The only, THE ONLY thing I can see wrong with them is on the model on the palanquin - the models on the base have a mould line on the front.

Other than that, refer to the first three words of my post. You, sir, get all the rep I can muster.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback NO254!

You're right, there is a mould line on the two Nurgling carrier-sets. truth is, I didn't know how to get the mould lines off without damaging the delicate wee faces of the Nurglings!

Arabest,

CtS

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is one old old mini you are missing that could be in the first DG squad dude, he is pointing a power-fisted finger with his left hand and has a bolter in the right, if I can find my one at home i'll post a pic :)

As a lover of old models and have used most of the above in my own DG army I must say these are killer! Well done indeed and +rep

EDIT: Oh I especially like the washing on the tanks!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Infael, would love to see your mini, I think I have it in the garage awaiting a paint, will post a pic when I can...

:thank_you:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, the works in progress - Infael, have a butchers at the two DG Plague Marines waiting for a new skin; is that the mini you were thinking of?

DG Plague Marines:

View attachment 7145

DG Bike Squad (all minis bought on eBay):

View attachment 7144

DG Bike Squad Conversions:

First, classic Palanquin mini to go on bike:

View attachment 7148

Next, a wee alteration to the helmet:

View attachment 7149

Now, the Land Raiders:

Number 3, bought on eBay already built:

View attachment 7153

Number 2, again an eBay purchase already built:

View attachment 7151

Number 1, self built from new, with Forgeworld, greenstuff and toolmark alterations (a few angles):

View attachment 7150
View attachment 7147
View attachment 7152

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
Nice stuff all round - there is simply no such thing as 'too much Nurgle'. I'd give you some rotting rep but apparently I have to spread it around it bit more first :biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing how these guys develop...

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
great work, I love the DG color scheme. Have some rep for the sick conversions

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I really like these, a nice concept idea as well :) the Typhus is my favourite of the bunch I think though, I simply love the pose of that model :victory: have some rep mate, keep up the good work!

·
Registered
238 Posts
That is exactly it dude! The one on the right yeah! Mine is unpainted unfortunately; I really need to stop looking at other people's schmexy models and get back on the painting horse! It's been a year or more since I did anything!

Oh P.S. i'm totally jealous of the idea of using the Palanquin Plaguebearer as a bike sarge, awesome model, perfect fit!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Magnific work. ¡All hail Grandpa nurgle!

·
Registered
149 Posts
OK,

There is loads I adore in your models...
The old-skool goodness, the conversions (like the Raptors) and the paintjob is awesome.
Clean painting, but it still looks rotten, gooey and yucky (in a very good way)

But there is one part I really really do not like about your models and that is their bases.
Due to the fact that they are not painted, they look extremely out of place and ruin the overall feel of your beautiful paintjob.

This could be solved by simply applying a wash over them (and if you feel productive, one small drybrushed highlight after the wash).

That would completely and utterly turn these figs into works of art.

I do hope that didn't sound too harsh, and remember, I really appreciate the effort you must have invested in these guys as the paintjobs are ace.
I was simply trying to give some constructive feedback to go that one step beyond and really finish these models:grin:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good feedback there Quake, thanks.

I use static grasses on most minis, but with these guys I wanted a dead, barren look. I know what you're saying as it did cross my mind that the bases blend right into the minis, so will experiment on the last two Plague Marines and feedback when done on the result...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad I could be of help.

I'll be interested to see those results.

A dead, barren look eh?
Have you considered trying to make tumbleweeds to put on your bases here and there?
No idea on how one'd make 'em, but they suit that description just fine:grin:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't but will look at it - perhaps some wire wool?

Will keep you posted...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hiya,

Here's the latest update to my DG Force... the latest update to my wee family has stalled developments on Mortarion's Men! A wee boy, born 27th September...

:biggrin:

Back to the minis, though:

Classic Palanquin champion converted to a Biker on an old doomrider (?) bike:

View attachment 8695

View attachment 8696

View attachment 8697

View attachment 8698

I have the seven-man DG bike squad on the table just now and a trio of Land Raiders in the queue behind them - will keep you posted.

Note for Quase - thanks for your advice, I've tried the shading on the base, hope you can see the result here as I'm so pleased with it I've gone back and done the same to all my DG minis!

CtS
. .

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.