Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was away for a LONG time.

I have a question of delicate nature: how would you react if your opponent brought a Chaos Space Marines but said you that he is using rules from Space Wolves codex? Of course everything would be pure Space Wolves (no codex melding) and "What You see is what You get" but using chaos bits and units (mainly Dark Vengeance conversions).

I played few games with my CSM army I must notice that I cannot create an army corresponding to my style with CSM codex though liking the fluff while I like Space Wolves playstyle though hating they fluff.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
Well I was away for a LONG time.

I have a question of delicate nature: how would you react if your opponent brought a Chaos Space Marines but said you that he is using rules from Space Wolves codex? Of course everything would be pure Space Wolves (no codex melding) and "What You see is what You get" but using chaos bits and units (mainly Dark Vengeance conversions).

I played few games with my CSM army I must notice that I cannot create an army corresponding to my style with CSM codex though liking the fluff while I like Space Wolves playstyle though hating they fluff.
I see no problem with it, as long as the rules are represented correctly by the models then no one can really have a complaint.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Yeah I would be fine with that as long as everything was modeled correctly and I understood what everything was before the dice started rolling. It would be interesting to see actually.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I've seen a player at my FLGS using Grey Knights codex for Chaos rules. Awesomely painted, too--black with glowing green OSL everywhere.

Basically, it depends on your opponent, but I personally would be perfectly fine with it. Thunderwolf Wolf Lord as Juggernaut-riding Chaos Lord, Berzerker Blood Claws, what have you--go right ahead. Just make sure you clearly explain what each unit is to the person you're playing against (while they're paying attention), and are prompt to clarify any confusion they have throughout the game.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Maybe even give your opponent a cheat sheet with X = Y on it. So if you are using bezerkers as bloodclaws then they can remember it by looking at the sheet.

But yeah it depends what your opponent is like. TBH I don't have a problem with it, you can just say they are a bunch of fallen wolves who stuck to the original ways and methods. So yeah their armour is a bit more spikey and old fashioned, but the guys inside are still the guys inside. The only objections I might have is if you use stuff like a heldrake as a marine flyer as they are VERY different in both look, shape and size.

Of course it is easier to do the other way around though that Wolves could be Chaos. That is because you can say that they were excommunicated by the inquisition or something so are on the run. Though I guess you can say that anyway and just say your chaos looking ones cant get hold of spare parts from loyalists as they aren't actively hunting them, but are killing chaos and nicking the bits of armour they need from them.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think it's a pretty cool idea personally. Chaos can theoretically touch anything, so it's not like it's beyond the realm of comprehension. I wouldn't mind at all, and would make for a rather unique game.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think it should be fine to use. I've had many experiences with the counts as rule. I wouldn't mind seeing CSM retooled and converted into space wolves. That would look pretty intimidating on the field.

The most humorous example of counts as that i've seen would be the tonka land raider.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The most humorous example of counts as that i've seen would be the tonka land raider.
Oh and I bet you hate my Chaos Knight as well... (Not a picky of my one)

The best bit is on a flat table I can turn on the batteries and have him walk the 12" movement by himself :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh ho ho very nice. I always wanted to buy me the gojulus giga zoid kit. The automated movement is also pretty sweet, my friend did the same thing to his predators with remote control. It was quite nice.

I also fondly recall seeing the soft drink drop pods in my FLGS.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh for god's sake, just when I was ready to create project log of my new chapter a codex is going to get rewritten probably removing everything I liked about their rules... Well, thanks for help anyway.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
a codex is going to get rewritten probably removing everything I liked about their rules
Maybe, it's worth waiting for the release before tossing around too much woe. Lame timing for sure though, reminds me of when 6th hit and invalidated almost my whole Blood Angel army. At least once they release the new SW dex you'll be smooth sailing for a few years, I'm not even looking at my Necron, Grey Knight, and Blood Angel collections until they get updated. Given that there's 4 (Dark Eldar as well) more armies to be updated after the Wolves and GW have been killing it for Codex releases I'm ok to wait.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, probably. Although I like the new flyer (kind of like viking longship). Just hope that Ward will stay off that codex.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts