Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposing the worlds best engineers have nothing better to do, money is not a problem and ignoring all kinds of practicalities both military and otherwise, could we build a real warhound class titan?

Any engineers out there in Heresy land who would know anything about building or powering such a machine? Super heavy vehicles are already in existance but are tracked or wheeled. Is it even possible to build bipedal machines that size? Also, using weapons of today what would arm it with eg 30mm rotary cannon for a mega bolter etc, thoughts on this please.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Building a 1:1 replica wouldn't be too difficult in the scenario you envision, but there's no chance we could mimic its performance specs because of currently inferior energy generation methods (aren't even Warhound-class Titans powered by a plasma/fusion reactor?) and a lack of fictional materials that're probably light-weight despite their stress tolerance.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Actually we currently have materials that are actually better then whats depicted in 40k. Theoretically we could make a warhound sized walker using carbonnanotube sheets, and power it with a standard nuclear reactor. However; as pointed out the power output of the fictional fusion reactors is probably far greater, meaning we couldn't arm it with any of the fictional energy weapons mounted on a warhound. Then again its power output would be great enough to mount a rail cannon microwave cannon, or any other weapon system that would only normally be reserved for large naval ships.

Another failing of making a warhound with current tech is that we couldn't give it any type of energy shields, as the development of a energy shield is kind of a impossibility according to current understandings of physics.

Also theoretically we could make a walker just as stable (Or more so) then a 40k warhound using the movement system used in the big dog project.

Yet in real life we would never do this as in none fiction such machine are insanely cost ineffective. I mean a single cruise missile would cripple the thing, while the 20 or so super tanks and nuclear bomb that could have been built would be infinitely harder to disable or destroy. On the plus side we do have one edge over 40k's warhound, and that is how we currently have stealth field technology. So yes theoretically given enough money we could make a warhound sized walker that would be invisible to the naked eye, and radar.

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So an under powered one is possible, I know militarily it would be useless without void shields, as you said a missile would take it out but I'm just intrigued as to whether it is possible, I just love seeing science fiction becoming science fact and with powered armor being developed and with that Boston Bog project I'm sure I.G style sentinel scout vehicles are not far off and would have a real world military role.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's possible, but it'd be insanely expensive, slow-moving, easy as hell to hit, etc.

The main problem now is that it'd likely just be too damn heavy if it was armored at all (Big Dog is pretty darn cool, but no one's trying to make it eat depleted uranium shells). Modern fission reactors don't hold a candle to what the presumable output of even an Imperial fusion reactor does, so it'd either be suffering continuous brownouts or laden down with chained reactors, increasing the weight.

Ammunition would also be a problem- hard rounds are heavy as hell at the calibers that the titan's main weapons fire at.

The main thing I think, however, is weight. Double something's size and the weight quadruples. It'd either be too heavy to move, or the chassis would collapse under the weight of the armor/ammo/reactors/hull/etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
With the weight of the machine itself I highly doubt we would be able to power it to a level that it would even be able to lift a toe off of the ground, at least with the energy generating technology we currently have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts