Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people.. There is a painting competition coming up soon and I'm going to enter.. I know i'm not an 'evy metal painter but I would looooovveee a trophy (any colour)

The comp isn't for another month so i have time to paint something else...

This is my first shot at NMM (non-metalic metal) painting and I found it verrrry easy.. He only took two and a half hours (probably less) but you can tell because the paint is very crude :p And its also my first go at Blending (check the cape)

ANYWAYYY! Here are the photos...

What do you think??

He isnt finished.. I've spotted several things i want to fix from the photos.. and the base is suppose to look like a frozen lake or whatever.. :p

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
I wont comment on the possible out come of the painting comp as that will be up to the judges on the day and i have seen some freakish good under 18 painters in the past.

I like the paint scheme, but it looks rushed and the highlights look harsh, the cloak is by far the best part of the model and i have to admit im struggling to see which parts are NMM? Im going to assume its the brown bits as they are the usual colours used, its a good first go but as NMM goes its not working, sorry if thats harsh but NMM is one of those things i dont think can be rushed and it does not really have a middle ground it either looks like gold or it looks like brown.
what i do like about him is the reality of the scheme, he looks like hes come out of the northeren wastes and not out of some chaos fetish night club,by that i mean hes got natural faded colour rather than bright shiny reds and gold and pvc black everwere.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I agree entirely with bitsandkits. The painting is quite nice and could definitely at least give you a chance at that win but I think it's not the painting you intended. I also agree about the Gryphonne Sepia, that'll make it look real nice. The only other thing I can suggest is he looks a little too clean, you might even want to add a thin layer of Devlan Mud to the armour to "dirty" him up a little.

The haft of the axe in particular is excellent. Have some +rep

EDIT: Or at least I would give rep if I could...darn reputation spreading :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yeah. B&K has it. I like how this guy has turned out, he looks more realistic than many painted minis out there. I reckon if you are pleased with your work you should show it off. Its nice to gain appreciation for your work but its also cool to do it for yourself.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.. Yes I agree and looking over him again he just looks... ehh.. I'll grab another model tomorrow and try the NMM again but i'll obviously take A LOT more time with it :p and If something goes wrong i can always use him as a back up :D

I might enter the singles under 18 for both 40k and fantasy.. And maybe a Duel scene (why not?) But A friend told me to remember... Its about quality not quantity.. very wise

Thanks for the support guys!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well, you're quite a bit better than I was at 16. I like your color pallet, and your NMM- you've got a good eye for those.

To be sure, the youngbloods Golden Daemon quality is all over the place. There have been years when this would have won, and other years when it wouldn't have placed.

If you'd like the feedback, I think that overall you should work on the blending of your white (the skulls and horns mainly). Try to get more intermediate shades in between your lighter and darker colors. It is usually good to have a lighter shade color when working with white.

(of course, white is something a lot of people have a rough time with).

If you're still wanting to find ways to improve after that, try improving the blending on the larger pieces of gold (the circular medal shaped bits in the front of the armor, or the helmet). The way I would do that from here is to mix a shade in between where you can see the divisions in the paint, and water it down before applying it to the space where the blending needs work.

Anyway, keep posting. Oh, and by the way, don't overstress yourself into doing too many entries. Sometimes it is better to just do one right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts