Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked this question when I was at my GW store. I had no idea, I guess it was possible but unlikely? They basically look like Sanganius

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
There are no examples of Space Marines who have become saints in the fluff, but I wouldn't rule it out, especially in smaller communities (not sector-wide) that have definitely felt the Space Marine's presence. Right now the biggest obstacle between Space Marines and sainthood is their relations with the Ministorum; as most chapters follow their own chapter cult instead of the Imperial Creed, Ministorum officials would be hesitant indeed to raise someone to sainthood who did not follow it!

Even so, like I said, I wouldn't rule it out for smaller communities; A Space Marine could become a minor saint of protection or courage in a Feral World village, for example. It's also an easier pill to swallow if the chapter from which the Space Marine originates does in fact follow the Imperial Creed - the Fire Angels are an example of that.

It is also worth noting that all loyalist Primarchs are considered saints; Sanguinius is simply the most celebrated.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
No, for the simple reason that marines aren't cool enough.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Honestly this is a very good question. After reading up a bit on Lexicanum, I honestly found nothing that prevents an Adeptus Astarte's from being made Saint. However I think because of their humility, their love for battle, and the fact that they are not well know outside of their respective chapters makes it kind of impossible for one to become such. Saints tend to be humans, unaltered, who aspire to greatness in the Emperors name. thus augmented humans, like the Astarte's, would not count.

But in any case that's just my view on it, not a fact. Perhaps the big boys would like to comment (Monsieur Serpion or Darkreever perhaps :p )

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Indeed. The Imperiums Saints are all/were all, just regular citizens, from any background or class, but somehow rose up to be revered as a Saint, be it from their piety, influence or charisma combined with their faith, or from physically manifesting as Saints with Devine like powers , such as Sabbat. The Astartes are already seen by the vast majority of the Imperium as variously the Emperors Sons, Angels, Demi-gods etc, which puts them already on a different kind of level to the Saints, in a different league as if you will. Having said that, and with no evidence anywhere in the fluff that I can find, the Imperium is still beyond vast and full of all sorts of beliefs, ideologies and views. I could see a planet once seeing a lone Asartes or squad in action and starting to venerate them as a Saint. But again, the thing to me is their already divine like reputation, a Saint ascends, where as like I said, the Astartes are already on that different level of awe, fear, inspiration, divinity, post-human etc.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Considering the Adeptus Astares are already considered, "The Emperor's Angels" of death or whatever, I imagine that Sainthood would be a downgrade.

As well, I would think that any Astares isn't going to be involved long enough with civilians to get a good enduring impression, outside of, "wow, those guys showed up and everything got destroyed."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Considering the Adeptus Astares are already considered, "The Emperor's Angels" of death or whatever, I imagine that Sainthood would be a downgrade.

As well, I would think that any Astares isn't going to be involved long enough with civilians to get a good enduring impression, outside of, "wow, those guys showed up and everything got destroyed."
The big thing about the Astartes is, though, when they get called in, everything has gone, or is about to go to, shit.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Agreed. I think that there is no reason you can't beatify one of your marines if you want to for your own fluff, but to justify it fluff wise you'd need to have figured out some way to justify the Adeptus Ministorum bothering to do so. Now, maybe that would be based on one captain's actions during a particularly stunning campaign to defend an Imperium system, or maybe it would be that the local populace of their recruiting world have decided to give them an honourary title... similar to 'lord maccrage' perhaps?

Maybe they just work with a particularly faithful element of the guard or even the sisters of battle, and the association has led to such a common belief amongst their allies that they've taken it on as a honour bestowed by their allies?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts