Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Coteaz the Radical and henchmen 1500 pts

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Jacobite 
#1 · (Edited)
The idea behind this list is to have some fun using the GK dex with no restrictions on what I can take and come up with a fluffy heavily counts as list for a Radical =I=. I've included in brackets what I'm thinking modelwise.

H.Q.

Coteaz – 100 pts

Icarus Var. Radical =I=. This is the only proper =I= in the force, I’d prefer him to have a deamon weapon for fluff purposes but alas its not possible, a deamon hammer it is then (ruleswise I think a deamon weapon could have a similar effect to a force hammer)

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor – 82 pts

Power sword, power armor, needle pistol, psychotroke grenades, 3 servo skulls.

One Var’s two most trusted henchmen. IG Vet who then became a drill abbot and then got recruited and shown the light. I went Xenos with him for the wargear, bit more exotic stuff in there. He leads the CC henchmen squad.

Troops

Henchmen Squad – 114 pts

1 Warrior Acolyte with Storm Shield (Pysker with a dampening helm - fluff choice, his main job is to protect the =I= leading the squad.)
2 Crusaders – (Crusaders)
3 Deathcult Assassin – (Disgraced Deathcult members)
1 Acro-Flagellant – (A hulking chrono gladiator from a medieval world)

I want to make this squad CC heavy. They will be running with the CC =I=. What other henchmen builds would you recommend for such a team?

Inquisitorial Chimera – 65 pts

2 heavy flamers, dozer blade, storm bolter

Probably some sort of half track or repurposed civilian vehicle. Drive by barbecuing FTW!

Henchmen Squad – 200 pts

1 Mystic (Guard Vet with Vox)
6 Warrior Acolytes with storm bolters, carapace (6 Mercs)
3 Warrior Acolytes with plasma guns, carapace (3 Guard Vets)
2 Jokaero Weaponsmiths (As Joka’s but really raggedy specimens or some renegade Adep Mech types.)

This one is the opposite, lay down a fair bit of fire. I was going to go with servitors in here but without a =I= to stop them turning into vegetables for a turn there’s not much point.

2 heavy bolters, dozer blade, storm bolter

Probably some sort of half track or repurposed civilian vehicle. Fire support pure and simple.

Henchmen Squad – 127 pts

1 Warrior Acolyte with Storm Shield (Pysker with a dampening helm, again fluff choice and to help protect Coteaz)
2 Deathcult Assassins (Disgraced Death Cultists again)
1 Acro Flagellant (Merc Kroot Warrior)
1 Mystic (IG Vet Vox Op)
2 Warrior Acolytes with Combi Flamers, power armor (IG vets rebuilt as Hyspasists)

These guys will run with Coteaz.

Heavy flamer and heavy bolter, dozer blade, storm bolter

Probably some sort of half track or repurposed civilian vehicle

Elites:

Vindicare Assassin – 145 pts

This is the other of Var’s most trusted henchmen, a IG Vet. I’d prefer to have him as another =I= and put him with the Shooty henchmen but the dam FOC doesn’t allow it!

Fast Attack:

Storm Raven Gunship – 225 pts

Psybolt ammo

This will be some sort of personal gunship of Vars

Heavy Support:

Nemesis DreadKnight – 235 pts

Personal teleporter, and heavy incinerator.

May seem like an odd/cheesy choice I know but I don’t care. You may have been wondering why I haven’t included a daemon host in any of the retinues in what is supposed to be a fluffy Radical list. The reason for that is that statwise they seem to be possessed by a nurgling….This is the deamon host bitches! Most likely make it from a Soul Grinder or something. Heavy incinerator is the fluffiest weapon for him I think and same with the teleporter. Deamonhost slipping in and out of the warp breathing fire still sound cheesy?

Imperial Bastion – 75 pts

A building Var’s forces have commandeered. Pretty self explanatory really, I had the spare points couldn’t really think of what else to use them on, thoughts on a fluffy unit to have?

Total 1498

Realistically this an't going to be a tournie winning force but it could be a bit of fun to play. Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds interesting, i always love fluffy lists. I'm wondering vaguely why you'd put Coteaz in a squad that's not shooting based, just because of his abilities, but I respect doing it for fluff reasons.

Also, if you wanted, instead of running the Bastion and the Dreadknight, you could snag a pair of Psyriflemen for fire support, and perhaps base them off of some repurposed armored Sentinels (you mentioned alot of ex IG) or load lifter mechs.

#4 ·
Hmmm I just saw Coteaz and a MCDH with Hammerhand and immediatly thought CC, would he be better in a shooty squad? I don't really have a problem with him being in a shooty squad, Var swings both ways (oha helloooooo). In an Apoc list he would be swapped out for a OMI with deamon blade, hell rifle etc but I need the Coteaz tax but don't want to have my other =I= as a pysker for fluff reasons. Although I could always just not use those psychic powers...

The dreadknight is there to be used as rules for a Deamon host that actually does some damage rather than the pissy little ones that are in the Henchmen squads. Think Cherubael level power. I don't think the henchmen DH's are going to be good against a chaos titan now are they.

hmmmmm, The mystics are kinda a waste in my opinion since you dont have anything in a large measure DS. i was hoping for some deamon host and pyskers since i saw radical in the title. now that would be an interesting addition lol. just a thought
Mystics were for there for fluff purposes (IG Vox ops). I'm not using the deamonhosts that you can get in henchmen squads because they are crap frankily. They are about as scary as a nurgling who has just taken a bath in some bleach. The dreadknight is my deamonhost. IE a massive walker that can teleport across the battlefield, rip tanks open with it's bare hands, shoot flame and will attract more negative attention than Beiber walking into a metal concert.

I didn't have the points for a pysker henchmen squad but since I might be dropping the henchmen squad with the combi-flamers I should probably have enough points to do a pysker battle squad. Thinking something like the one at the end of "Only In Death".

#5 ·
1 Warrior Acolyte with Storm Shield (Pysker with a dampening helm - fluff choice, his main job is to protect the =I= leading the squad.)
2 Crusaders – (Crusaders)
3 Deathcult Assassin – (Disgraced Deathcult members)
1 Acro-Flagellant – (A hulking chrono gladiator from a medieval world)

I want to make this squad CC heavy. They will be running with the CC =I=. What other henchmen builds would you recommend for such a team?
The usual CC squad for henchmen is usually something to the effect of 2-3 Crusaders and 4-6 DCA, so your configuration is essentially the best setup that's then been flavoured to taste.

2 heavy flamers, dozer blade, storm bolter

Probably some sort of half track or repurposed civilian vehicle. Drive by barbecuing FTW!
This unit doesn't really work, if you move you have to snapfire one of your guns. Since the HF is a template, it cannot be fired at all, which means that you have to stand still to fire both HFs, and if that works then your opponent is a moron. I'd swap the turret for a multilaser.

Storm Raven Gunship – 225 pts

Psybolt ammo

This will be some sort of personal gunship of Vars
I heartily recommend taking hurricane bolters.

Heavy Support:

May seem like an odd/cheesy choice I know but I don’t care. You may have been wondering why I haven’t included a daemon host in any of the retinues in what is supposed to be a fluffy Radical list. The reason for that is that statwise they seem to be possessed by a nurgling….This is the deamon host bitches! Most likely make it from a Soul Grinder or something. Heavy incinerator is the fluffiest weapon for him I think and same with the teleporter. Deamonhost slipping in and out of the warp breathing fire still sound cheesy?
Who cares if it's "cheesy" or not. If you think it's cool, then do it. I think that justification is pretty cool.

Imperial Bastion – 75 pts
A building Var’s forces have commandeered. Pretty self explanatory really, I had the spare points couldn’t really think of what else to use them on, thoughts on a fluffy unit to have?
The Bastion should really have a quad gun, no reason not to...

Realistically this an't going to be a tournie winning force but it could be a bit of fun to play. Thoughts?
Obvious inefficiencies, but it's a fluff list, so whatever.

#6 ·
The reason I suggest Corteaz in shooting is because of his 'I knew you were coming', or whatever it's called. He gets to shoot at things popping up, and his squad, so you should usually put him into a strong shooting squad to deter Deep Strikes and the like. His own gear is CC based, yes, but his abilities benefit the full squad.

I admit I like the idea you're using with the Dreadknight... for a while I had considered doing the same thing for him, since he effectively could fill in as an Armored Daemon Prince, or an Archangel, a Daemonhost, anything really that can fly/jump, breath fire, smash things, have a forcefield...

I agree with Coke about the Stormraven. the psyammo can effect the hurricanes, heavy bolter, and assault cannon.

#7 ·
I like to run stormravens fully kitted, typhoon missles, psybolts, hurrican bolters. The nice thing here is even though w/ psybolts your hurricane is s5 and no longer defensive, your typhoons can fire as frags, s4, counting as defensive, meaning if you want to you can unload everything, especially nice on infantry. I'd also recommend Coteaz with a shooting squad like Xabre said. His psychic powers (if you take prescience) are also shooting oriented and thus should be near a ranged unit. I also LOVE your daemonhost/dreadknight idea. I might rip that one off myself.

#8 · (Edited)
I like to run stormravens fully kitted, typhoon missles, psybolts, hurrican bolters. The nice thing here is even though w/ psybolts your hurricane is s5 and no longer defensive, your typhoons can fire as frags, s4, counting as defensive, meaning if you want to you can unload everything, especially nice on infantry.
There's no such thing as defensive weapons anymore, being S4 or less means jack. This is 6th edition, you're quoting 5th edition rules.

Also, you can never fire more than 2 mindstrike missiles, so it's impossible to "unload everything".

Also, I'd pretty much always run the MM on the 'Raven, it's cheaper and gives you access to a melta weapon, which is otherwise hard to find in GK.

A zooming flyer may fire up to 4 weapons. With a Stormravens PotMS, this is increased to 5 weapons, one of which may be directed against a different target, up to two of which may be mindstrike missiles. This generally results in you shooting MM, Assault Cannon, 2 Hurricane Bolters and a missile when zooming.

When Hovering, you can fire everything (but still only two missiles) when moving at 6" or less, or fire 2 weapons and snapfire everything else at 12"-18".

I'd also recommend Coteaz with a shooting squad like Xabre said. His psychic powers (if you take prescience) are also shooting oriented and thus should be near a ranged unit. I also LOVE your daemonhost/dreadknight idea. I might rip that one off myself.
Coteaz should be in a shooting squad. He's the goddamn batman, might as well use his utility belt. Not to mention misfortune makes units just die.

#9 ·
Well damn. I haven't been all the way through the new book yet, good to know about defensive weapons, though sad to see them go, I also was not including the mindstrike missiles in the 'unload everything' as they are limited and might not always want to be used, though seeing as you have 4 might as well fire 1 a turn or so. I suppose 25 points is a lot to pay for the utility of missiles and an extra shot when there is perfectly good TL multi-melta right there already.

#10 · (Edited)
Have to say that I am a fan of the Multi Melta as the prime anti air weapon, it works a treat, also means you don't HAVE to get into a tail shot to stand a really good chance of a kill. 3+ to hit, 3+ to Pen and +2 to your damage result is not to be sneezed at.

Back that up with a Psybolted Rending Auto Cannon, add in Burning Skies and you get Soul Blaze and Hammer of the Emp and you can clear the skies pretty quick.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all your responses. Here is my revised list. Unless otherwised mentioned, the minis used will be the same as in the first post.

H.Q.

Coteaz – 100 pts

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor – 79 pts

Power sword, power armor, needle pistol, psychotroke grenades, 2 servo skulls.

Troops

Henchmen Squad – 135 pts

3 Crusaders – (Crusaders)
5 Deathcult Assassin – (Disgraced Deathcult members)
2 Acro-Flagellants – (Hulking chrono gladiators from a medieval world)

Dozer blade, storm bolter

Henchmen Squad – 217 pts

3 Warrior Acolytes with storm bolters, carapace (3 Mercs)
3 Warrior Acolytes with plasma guns, carapace (3 Guard Vets)
3 Inquisitorial Servitors with Plasma Cannons (3 Sagitarii)
2 Jokaero Weaponsmiths (As Joka’s but really raggedy specimens or some renegade Adep Mech types.)

The Chimera will probably some sort of half track or repurposed civilian vehicle. This squad is the opposite of the previous one, lay down a fair bit of fire. Coteaz/Var leads them.

Henchmen Squad – 123 pts

3 Deamonhosts (These will actually be as modeled as really sliced up and tortured Psykers, call them freshly possessed if you want and it makes you feel better about me using rules for something count as something else in the dex. In my fluff they are actually pyskers. Think Agun Soric at the end of Only In Death, not the normal ones like in the IG dex)
3 Warrior Acolytes with carapace armour and power swords (Sanctioned Division Custodians)
3 Warrior Acolytes with carapace armour (Sanctioned Division Custodians)

2 per Guards per “pysker” as in Only In Death seems to suggest. The chimera will probably be an open topped chimera or Trojan with trailer… like in Only In Death. Get the theme here?

Elites:

Vindicare Assassin – 145 pts

Fast Attack:

Storm Raven Gunship – 255 pts

Psybolt ammo, hurricane bolters, multimelta

This will be some sort of personal gunship of Vars. Multi melta is there on the off chance I need some more anti tank and as its been pointed out I can fire it at something other than what all the anti infantry stuff is shooting at.

Heavy Support:

Total 1499

Thoughts?

#13 ·
Problem with the is that the Acolytes aren't as good as marines.
You'd be better off using the SM Dex and taking the Inquisitor et al as allies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.