Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, just wanted to show off my latest addition to my Space Wolf great company.

The background to this project was that I already have a massive, poorly painted space wolf army which I started about 15 years ago, based on Ragnar's great company, so I already had all the old special character minis.

With the release of the new space wolves codex I started a new army, this time based on Bjorn Stormwolf's great company (vindicators + bikes = my kinda thing). I wanted a mini that could represent Ragnar in my army but didn't want to paint the old figure again.

I was originally going to use the Vanguard Veteran guy with the sword raised above his head, but when my local GW store manager showed me his conversion based on Gabriel Seth, I knew I'd picked the wrong model, so I ordered all the bits and got stuck in. It's not exactly the same as his, but I'm pretty pleased with the result.

This was probably the trickiest conversion I've done in a long while (repositioning those arms was a nightmare, and probably not worth the effort:angry:). It's also the first time I've used GW's snow flock. Not sure of the results, so please let me know what you think (before I go ahead and 'snow' the rest of my army to match...)

Rev
View attachment 8091

View attachment 8092

View attachment 8093

View attachment 8094

View attachment 8095

View attachment 8096

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
looks fricken sick man

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
So much nicer than the standard Ragnar, well worth the effort imo. (Says he having made none of it.)

Great work all round.

GW snow flock seems fit for purpose, so if its ok to use crack on.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

I've been asked just to tell how/what I did for this conversion.

I took Gabriel Seth's body, lopped the head off and green-stuffed the Ragnar-esque head from the Space Wolves sprue into it's place. I then disregarded the right arm and back-pack.

I then took the Flesh Tearer's iconography off the left shoulder pad, chest and left shin and used a bit of green stuff to smooth it over. The icon on the right knee has been designed so that it I recessed, so green-stuffing that over was pretty easy (you could do this with the scroll on the sword too). I fixed a wolf skull from one of the bolters in the Space Wolves box set (but he ones that come in the terminator box set would be just as good) to the chest with a pinch of green-stuff.

I then found some wolfy bits from the space wolves accessory sprue and placed them around. I took the wolf pelt from the sprue and chopped the space marine bit off it and then green stuffed that into position (that is the bit I am probably most pleased with, even though you can't see it) and attached a couple of wolf tails to the backpack.

At this point I dry-fitted it all together just to check the body, head and sword arm were positioned correctly and pinned the model to the slate base.

Next I chopped the sword section into several pieces; the left wrist, the right wrist and the hilt. I took a plastic bolt-pistol arm and lopped the bolt pistol off, then pinned all of these pieces and dry-fitted them together, raising the arm higher above the character's head than the original model. Happy with this, I used green-stuff and superglue to fix it all together and then affixed the Wolf Guard shoulder pad.

And that's it. The arm repositioning is the fiddly bit, but it's worth it. If you just filed off the Flesh Tearer's iconography from the original you couldn't have that Space Wolf pad, and I don't think it would look right without it.

And that's it, hopefully that was interesting/useful?

Rev

·
Registered
47 Posts
That looks great man, you`ve given me a great idea for my next conversion, just ned to wait till my next paycheck.. +rep

·
Registered
800 Posts
Man I am so tempted to steal this idea haha. I will not though I will be original somehow.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Foulacy, I pretty much stole it myself, so don't feel you can't also steal it :)

The GW guy at the store had the terminator wolf cloak on his figure (just the wolf bit), it looked great but I didn't have the skills to get that looking right on my own.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Foul, I think he stole the idea somewhat from someone else as it was himself, so it just speaks bundles of the conversion, its so good that everyones emulating it (that actually wants to do ragnar)

I would steal this conversion myself, but, I am not the biggest fan of ragnar

·
Registered
800 Posts
You've convinced me haha, that truly is a great conversion. I will post up my Space Wolves log soon and after I paint my Wolflord I may start him.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i dig it, and maybe someone asked already, but how annoying was repositioning those arms

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What colour did you use for the main body.... The greyish black colour?
I used Adeptus battle grey, washed it in Badab Black, then neatly painted over it in Adeptus Battle Grey again, then edge highlighted it up to space wolf grey. It doesn't look quite as dark in real life. But i prefer my wolves to be grey, rather than blue :)

as for the arms. I'm an impatient person so it probably isn't as fidley for people who have patience. It just took quite a while wiating for each bit to set before you can glue on the next bit, and then having to hold it all carefully in position so that the left arm, right arm and sword are all in the correct position for what seemed like hours...

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I used Adeptus battle grey, washed it in Badab Black, then neatly painted over it in Adeptus Battle Grey again, then edge highlighted it up to space wolf grey. It doesn't look quite as dark in real life. But i prefer my wolves to be grey, rather than blue :)

as for the arms. I'm an impatient person so it probably isn't as fidley for people who have patience. It just took quite a while wiating for each bit to set before you can glue on the next bit, and then having to hold it all carefully in position so that the left arm, right arm and sword are all in the correct position for what seemed like hours...
you and I do share that sentiment of Space wolves being grey is better then blueish grey. im sure you can find your way to my WIP, though you are definitly a far better painter then I find myself being. Though I did also make my models darker on purpose by not repainting adaptus

·
Registered
290 Posts
i dabble a little in space wolves, and although i dont like them too blue, i mixed up a couple of pots of paint for them, i mainly used a mix of fortress gray and space wolves gray, but nowadays i use vallejo game coulor and model coulor. I find that i get a more even coulor with them, but finding the paint to correspond with GW paint is a bitch!

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
ooooh purdy

A very nice conversion of Ragnar, a huge improvement to the current GW model. I very much like your interpretation of this fine Space Wolves hero and your paint scheme. Keep up the wonderful work.

+rep

Grish

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well done. I'm actually really disliking the position of those old models that look like they are just holding a sword in one hand and a pistol on the other and just standing there. Lord Mephiston is another character I dislike. Could be better. But hey, its this kind of stuff that makes conversions awesome. Plus rep for sure.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts