Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently considering what for me is a rather ambitious project - turning Battle Brother Artemis of the Deathwatch into Captain Cortez of the Crimson Fists. It's tricky due to the absence of ideal parts and the parts available require some pretty major conversion to work. Still it's worth a shot. I also made the decision at the start of the year that every member of my Minotaurs would be converted in some way. Regretting that decision now. What is too much work for you? Arm swaps about it? Or are you willing to go further on every mini?

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
While I haven't made any worthwhile conversions yet (apart from wings on some MC's that didn't have them) I usually go all the way, when I decide to do something.

If I did start a major conversion project at some point, I would go as far as was needed to realize my vision. Better it take 6 months and me loving it, than 6 weeks and me regretting not going further.

·
Registered
217 Posts
im of the same mindset if it's what you want youll appreciate it more regardless of time spent... have a few very ambitious ideas for conversions that by the time i start them hopefully i will have the skill-set to do well

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Looking at the two different starter models, I've got to say it should be interesting no matter what you do. What all were you thinking about doing to make them mesh?

As for how far I think is to far, the most I've done personally is change the heads and kit bash like, two or three models. I might start green stuff, just to try. How far do I think is too far? As long as the army looks good aesthetically I'd make it a labor of love. For example, the Heldrake: The standard kit looks good if your army is Undivided or Khorne. But for say, Nurgle or Slaanesh, I think either greatly modifying it into something that fits would be amazing.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at the two different starter models, I've got to say it should be interesting no matter what you do. What all were you thinking about doing to make them mesh?
Based heavily on Artemis with Witch Hunter Tyrus's power fist and bolt pistol. Getting them to fit without seriously butchering either Tyrus or Artemis's arms is the tricky part and doing a hack job is out of the question due to the scarcity of =I= minis in general.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I love doing heavy conversions. Although admittedly I am far better with tanks than infantry models. I have done a few infantry models with head, arm weapon changes to get what I want, but for rank and file models I am not that ambitious. Tanks, defilers and dreads I love doing majors on. As far as too far, I have built two titans out of bits.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Nothing is too far!

So long as you can tell what it;s supposed to be, or easily identify it to the opponent if not.

·
Registered
585 Posts
On basic troops I tend not to bother with conversions, maybe the occasional part from another kit but not to much messing around with them.

For character models I like to have a bit of fun with green stuff and bits from other kits. But I do try to keep the model from looking over the top.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
There is no upper limit on my conversions; if I am struck by an idea I will go for it.

However, with some units I might leave them unconverted because the basic models are already pleasing, or not convert everything because I do not have enough good ideas about the same models at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts