Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if this thread is in the correct place but anyway...

Im very interested in conversions and altering models to suit what look I want etc. Ive recently built a basilisk that looks very simular to the one in a diorama at the back of the Imperial Guard collectors guide.

The question is can I drastically alter the appearance of, say a Chimera to be a ramp fronted assault vehicle with a raised turret and a narrower entrance ramp at the rear. My plan is to keep it the same according to the function and rules applied to the Chimera, but I could effectively deploy from the front- in style! What is wrong with this plan, any ideas?

Also, I once visited Games Workshop store at Blue Water shopping centre in Kent, England and the Manager built a scale Tiger tank (ww2) and just added the correct Leman Russ weapons. He insisted it was game legal. Whats the truth behind this? If its OK, can I use any scale models I like the look off in that case?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes, the Tiger with Leman Russ weapons is technically game legal. You could put a tub of margarine on the table and call it a Leman Russ, and it would technically be legal, but you must have your opponent's permission if you're going to do something like this. You probably wouldn't get away with it in a GW store (except Bluewater, apparently!) or at an official tournament.

It's quite common to field a "counts as" model in friendly games. After all, who wants to drop £20-30 on a model without playtesting it first? Some armies, like Orks, don't have a complete vehicle model range, so the only thing you can do is build your own.

As for the Chimera, you're altering the way the vehicle works in game (whereas the Tiger Russ doesn't), so some players may not be happy about it, but again, as long as you have your opponent's permission, go ahead.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Like what kelvingreen said the main thing is to ask your apponants permission first.

As for the Chimera, I don't think many people would be having that much of a problem with unless you started demanding that it's passangers actually came out the front in regards to the actual rules.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes, Pilgrimshost, are you intending to have the troops inside come out of the front of the vehicle, or is it just for effect? Because if you are changing the rules to allow them to leave by the front, then some players may not like that, as it gives you an advantage other Chimeras don't have.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I could effectively deploy from the front
As has been said before, I forsee no problems using that feature in friendly games with your buddies, but using it in a serious, competitive game, such as a rogue trader tournie, you would have some problems.

As a side note, I like that idea very much. It allows the guardsmen to pour out and swamp the enemy, much like marines out of a landraider. Very creative! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the function of a troop transport and a landing craft in an imminent battle zone have a common and shared objective - to move the troops to a position, provide cover then deploy.

Maybe Gws should have a wider range available in every aspect of the game. IG effectivly only have one tank choice- logically absurd.

So Im going to build this 'assult transport' and have many great battles with it in the 'EMPERORS HOUNDS' company, gws are going to have to just miss out on the £35 or so I would happily pay for it-dispite the extremely high charge for a small piece of plastic. Their lose!

Thanks everybody for your thoughts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts