Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Since the Eldar Codex dropped a while ago I've had some consideration of building an Eldar army. Now, this does stem from the "Oh, cool!" factor that the models have inspired me to say when I see them. I do not have the Codex, yet, but plan on trying to get it later. I'd like to slowly buy models and start this army on a much better understanding than when I first started and went Space Marine crazy. I literally looked like this for the first year going nuts.

So, with that being said, I'd like to avoid going overboard... again. Personally, I would like to build this list in a progressive manner that can graduate the list from 500 to 2K for the different playable tiers. As said before, there are models I'd like to get based solely off the cool factor I find in them and use them for this, eventual, army.

HQ
Eldar Farseer
Troops
Guardian Squad
Elite
Wraith Guard/Blades
Fast
Wraith Fighter / Crimson Hunter
Heavy
Wraith Knight

Also, I'm curious to know if the Battleforce would make for a decent purchase to start this endeavor.

Now, I realize the possibility that these may not work for the competitive level, but as I stated I'm just looking for fun.
Please, any C&C is welcome and I look forward to the input.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Fantastic starting army! I use all of these on a regular basis (or would if I had the crimson hunter!)

Good additions would be Warwalkers (SO OP it's no even funny.. well.. a little), jetbikes, warp spiders, and if you're feeling fancy, a Nightspinner! ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
i would say with the way your wanting to build an army stay clear of the wraith knight its looks amazing but i dont think its a unit for a startin player you need to synagise an eldar armor and for new players this isnt a good choose what would be better i think would be maybe a fire prism or a wave serpent

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good morning,

After some consideration yesterday, and talking to a friend who plays Eldar, I was given a couple of suggestions that I'd like to run by on here, so its some C&C time.

First, my friend recommended having a Farseer with Warlocks. Since I still do not have a Codex, I'm very hesitant on this. He also noted that it would be a better buy to get the Farseer and Warlocks box set as to save $$$ when purchasing time arrives.

Second, he also recommended dropping the Wraithknight from a new comer army list as well as the Wraith Guard/Blades.

Since this is someone who knows me and plays games with me, on more than one occasion and more than one system, he recommended getting 3 of the Fighter and running an Eldar Air Force.

Again, C&C is welcome on this evaluation. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
3 Crimson Hunters, while nasty, is a bit of a dick move (and I can't see it being fun/challenging to play).

I agree with removing the Wraithknight. It's a gorgeous addition to any army, but not really worth it at lower points levels.

I'd recommend Warp Spiders for fast attack, and Warwalkers for Heavy Support.

Fire Prisms are nice too, but don't forget about Night Spinners! I'd honestly say this is the edition where I'm taking Nightspinners over Fire Prisms in nearly every army I've made so far.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Elder airforce with jetbikes night spinners is a very good list when in the right hands.
Something like this.
autarch falouches(spelling)wing 100
jetbikes 6 2 cannons 122
jetbikes 6 2 cannons 122
jetbikes 6 2 cannons 122
jetbikes 6 2 cannons 122
crimson hunter 160
crimson hunter 160
crimson hunter 160
night spinner 115
night spinner 115
night spinner 115
1413 By my calculations add upgrades to taste.
Basically you smash one half of there army. Make sure you kill the quad gun first turn.
And pick on easy objectives you should always get first blood and linebreaker.You can deploy cautiously lowering the risk of them seizing the init because of youre speed, although ideally your going second.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input! :)

Well, after texting with this friend he stated a list like this for 1K

Farseer
2 Warlocks
2 Guardian Squads
3 Fighters

I asked about the un-fun/cheese factor of this and his reply was, "Consider the fact that there are 8 Chaos Players and all of them run 3 Helldrakes wwhenever possible. Then its defensive/offensive and not so cheesy."

·
Registered
298 Posts
Curious to know if he is suggesting to put the warlocks with the Farseer or split them up and put them in a guardian squad each?

The 1k list seems fair, a little light on feet on the ground but with the effective use of cover I don't think you would have too many problems before the fighters get in. I'm a bit concerned by the lack of transport for your troops, its a lot of foot slogging.

The only problem I have with both Eldar fighters is the Av10. Even weapons such as the trusty bolter can glance them to death. Granted this is on a double six (unless they are on a skyfire nexus objective) but I feel they suffer from being so fragile. At this point level I don't think you will have too much of a problem but just something to consider as you raise the point level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts