Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a tactic that I've seen a Tyranid player using recently. I can't find anything against it in the rules but I'm not happy about it. All suggestions as to how to stop it being used are welcome.

The core of the guy's army is 3 Tervigons (with adrenal glands and toxin sacs) plus a Venomthrope. These 4 models sit in a huddle at the back of the army. He starts with 3 broods of Termagants - 30 each - these are at the front of the army but the rearmost models are within 6" of the Tervigons and the Venomthrope. As the Termagant broods advance the rear most models don't move so that there is always a line of models back from the main part of the brood to the huddle. Even when the termagants are on the other side of the table they claim a cover save (because of having a model within 6" of the Venomthrope) and the benefits of both the adrenal glands and toxin sacs as well as the Counter Attack special rule because they have a model within 6" of the Tervigons. Each of the Tervigons also casts Catalyst on a brood giving them FnP.

The only thing that disrupts the formation is if the termagants charge but:-
a) Letting yourself be charged by 30 termagants at I5, Str4 with poisoned attacks is not recommended; and
b) Once the assault is finished the Termagants just re-arrange themselves and re-attach themselves to the huddle.

I like to play 'all-comers' lists so I'm reluctant to design an army just to deal with this tactic but I can't see anything in the rule book that says he can't do this. However it seems wrong that he can have a brood in my deployment zone and be claiming benefits derived from models that are 30" or more away at the back of his.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
TT

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Shoot the Venomthrope. If it's only one, it will go down pretty easily, 5+ cover or not.

If he assualts with the Termagants, and they are no longer within 6", they will lose furious charge and toxin Sacs. So it will be 30 Termgants charging, which isn't nearly as bad.

And remeber its 3D6 hits on ALL Termagant broods within 6" of a Tervigon if it dies :)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Shoot the Venomthrope. If it's only one, it will go down pretty easily, 5+ cover or not.

If he assualts with the Termagants, and they are no longer within 6", they will lose furious charge and toxin Sacs. So it will be 30 Termgants charging, which isn't nearly as bad.

And remeber its 3D6 hits on ALL Termagant broods within 6" of a Tervigon if it dies :)
Yup, that would about do it.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts

This is exactly it, they lose the benefits of the 6" aura the moment they leave that proximity :biggrin:
Except for the Counter Attack thing, they get to use that, even if their CA moves them out of distance, since the combat has already started.

Basically, kill the Tervigons, that will do an awful lot of damage to the Gaunts.
Venomthrope first, it's only T4, a single missile can do it, and 4-5 should basically guarantee it dies.
After that, everything else is uncovered, the Tervigons are too tall to get a cover save from the Termagants, so you should have little trouble blasting them; although they can still Catalyst themselves, and only AP2 will negate that as they have T6.

Point is, they aren't hard to shoot to bits, and the Termagants only retain their effectiveness in melee while within 6" of a Tervigon, try and bait them out of that distance, and you'll win the combat easily.

Also just remember that Termagants don't have Fleet anymore, that's the sort of thing people can miss in a new codex.

·
Registered
468 Posts
if he's stretching out a huge line of gaunts you could assault them, his models at the back won't be able to attack with being too far away so you should be able to win combat and hopefully sweeping advance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also let them string them selves across the board, and then charge them yourself. Should mean that you facing only a fraction of the 30 man unit, and the counter attack rule will force his back Termagants out of 6 inch range of the huddle.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
if he's stretching out a huge line of gaunts you could assault them, his models at the back won't be able to attack with being too far away so you should be able to win combat and hopefully sweeping advance.
They still got fearless. :p But, pop venomthrope, to tervigon, and bid the rest good night.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Whenever my SW come up against this problem (and what I have to worry about when I do something along the lines of this with my Nids) I have a dreadnaught assault them and then laugh away as the gaunts are only S4 so they can't hurt my front AV of 12 that then brings up the tervigons which then get shot to hell

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
and that is forgeting deep stikes and outflankings from various things who just drop behind the lines and kill your tervigons.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of this guys.

The army I'm running atm is SW.

I didn't post this as I was looking for a rule that prevents what I regard as an overly gamey tactic from this Nid player rather than a tactical response. I got a mix of both so thanks again. I will certainly look closely at the issue of whether the Gaunts lose their Ferocious Charge and Toxin bonuses if they start an assault less than 6" from the Tervigon but end further away than that. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been playing it this way.

Regards
TT
PS How do you give people rep on this forum? A couple of you deserve it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I tried to post this reply much sooner, but by stupid ISP decided to be both retarded and stupid today, as well as moronic.
Anyway, cover them in pie plates and shove some deep strikers up their behinds. See the roaches scatter in a disorganized fashion after that.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If he assualts with the Termagants, and they are no longer within 6", they will lose furious charge and toxin Sacs. So it will be 30 Termgants charging, which isn't nearly as bad
Actually the check for it is at the beginning of the assault phase, so gaunts charge, wipe you out, and squiggle back.

The easiest way to beat it is to play a mech army who doesnt give a damn about squiggly bugs. Or you could tell us your army and we can work out a better list, or hammer new options or tactics for you, as it stands the best advice I can give is target priority the floating fart tank, then the one that makes more gaunts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts