Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as far as I understand it, under the Codex Astartes, the 10th Company is comprised of Scout Marines - essentially initiates to the chapter - led by (veteran) Sergeants. The purpose of this company is to train and prepare these initiates to become full fledged Space Marines, ready for deployment in a Tactical/Devastator/Assault squad.

But how is the 10th Company itself, deployed?

For example, I'm currently re-reading Courage and Honor
( http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Courage-and-Honour-Softback.html ) and in the story, Sgt. Learchus and a squad of scout marines are sent on a mission to free a captured Imperial official.

I doesn't appear to me that the entire 10th Company of Scout Marines was deployed to the planet. Does that mean that individual squads of the 10th are attached to other companies for specific combat operations?

:scratchhead:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Scouts from the 10th company are deployed by detaching squads of them to reserve companies or to battle companies for deployment.

So you have it right. The scout company will never be deployed as a complete company, its squads are sent out with the other main companies.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Its very rare for the reserve companies including the 1st and the 10th to ever be deployed en mass. the members of the 10th join each of the battle companies in order to gain combat experience.

Although they are still part of the 10th space marine armies tend to be made up of a mix of several companies, with the majority being taken from 1 of the main battle companies

1 - 3 of 3 Posts