Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question on the Steel Host formation in the Red Waagh book: when it says it requires a tank commander, does that mean a tank commander plus a squadronmate, or just a lone tank commander (who has nobody to give orders to)? To me the natural meaning is tank commander plus squadronmate, but Army Builder takes the view that it is a lone commander (plus 3 squadrons of Lehman Russes and a hydra...), and since the rampart detachment has a platoon command squad but not the rest of a platoon (can they give orders to Ogryn or something? I suppose technically there isn't a rule that a platoon commander can only give orders to his own platoon but still) either interpretation is plausible. What are you guys seeing?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Formations take units as described in their Codex entry unless otherwise stated. Tank Commander plus squadron-mate constitues that unit selection, so unless there's something written into the Steel Host rules you have to take both (or three) tanks as your Tank Commander.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Just asked this question myself.

Also, what are people's thoughts on Army Builder's interpretation of the Steel Host? In their configuration, the formation looks like
LR SQN 1 + Tank commander Tank
LR SQN 2
LR SQN3
Hydra

I think that this is wrong because the whole point of the formation is to take your HQ and 3 Heavy support choices to a game. Agree/disagree?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Army Builder/Battlescribe really aren't the place to reference rules. I maintain that units must be taken as per their Codex entry for Formations unless specifically stated otherwise. This Formation would be:

Tank Commander + Squad (since this is mandatory for a TC to be taken)
3x Leman Russ squads
Hydra

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that's the most natural reading, but having been presented with the other interpretation, and the other formation having technically illegal selections (a platoon command squad without a platoon) I wasn't prepared to dismiss it out of hand. I kind of wish WD still had battle reports - there would probably have been an army list using the steel host in the WD the month Red Waagh came out and I'd know how they interpret it.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Rules as Written, black and white, I'd say the TC must have a second tank, because the entry for the TC requires a second tank.

You can chalk it up to 'tax' if you what, or whatever else, but that's how I'd see it. Just like the specific formation says '1 hydra', not '1 hydra squadron'.

There's plenty of opportunity for GW to add in the 'restrictions' part that the TC doesn't need a squad, etc. But until then, the entry comes from the main book.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the consensus appears to be that, in line with my initial reading, the tank commander needs his squadron (without which his tank orders aren't valuable anyway) - thanks. Until Army builder corrects this, I'll just have to slot the extra tank in a heavy support slot of another detachment and write a note as to its proper location.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Rules as Written, black and white, I'd say the TC must have a second tank, because the entry for the TC requires a second tank.

You can chalk it up to 'tax' if you what, or whatever else, but that's how I'd see it. Just like the specific formation says '1 hydra', not '1 hydra squadron'.

There's plenty of opportunity for GW to add in the 'restrictions' part that the TC doesn't need a squad, etc. But until then, the entry comes from the main book.
Well, the consensus appears to be that, in line with my initial reading, the tank commander needs his squadron (without which his tank orders aren't valuable anyway) - thanks. Until Army builder corrects this, I'll just have to slot the extra tank in a heavy support slot of another detachment and write a note as to its proper location.
Agreed. I re-read my codex, and I've now come to the conclusion that this is the only correct way to read it. If you look at the wording, Tank Commander is both a character and a squadron, and it does not require you to 'hijack' a heavy support slot for your HQ, just as intended. Did anyone get their hands on the White Dwarf 2014 issues for Astra Militarum's release?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts