Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys,

I'm changing my 1500 list, but I don't know how to fill it remaining points (80), or if I drop some equipment to release more points. I'm expecting MEQ, but I can make some minor changes to face hordes (I think this list as it is now can handle some horde threat).
Assault termies and librarian go on LR.
Should I beef up the librarian? (termie armor and SS). Or change him another HQ? Or free some points and get a predator w/ side lascannon? Or maybe get more 5 units troops - scouts or tatical?

HQ
Librarian - 100

Troops
10 tatical marines (ML, Plasma Rifle, Sargeant w/ PF and combi-melta) 215
Rhino 35
10 tatical marines (ML, Plasma Rifle, Sargeant w/ PF and combi-melta) 215
Rhino 35

Elites
5 assault terminators ( all w/ SS and TH) 200

Fast
LS (MM) 60
LS (MM) 60

Heavy Support
LR Crusader (MM) 260
Vindicator (dozer blade) 120
Vindicator (dozer blade) 120

Total 1420

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Hey, there is a basic flaw in yoru list.... At 1500 points the inclusion of a TH/SS in LR unit is really expensive... like 1/3 of all your points expensive. So I think that if you're dertermined to run them, then you need to beef up your list with the ability to hit things at long range to compensate. Were it me, I would use the 80 points left over to swap the vindicators for Auto Las preds, and upgrade the speeders to typhoons. I would then take the two full tac squads and drop at least one to a 5 man squad in TL Las Razorback

But even then, realize that you're pretty much running a single rock army and your success lynchpins on that one unit. So a good opponent will target them early.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you are running the Lib with termies then I would put him in termy armor with the SS. The other thing is your army is short range. look at adding a typhoon or dropping a vind for a pred.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Because you’re putting your tact squads in a rhino and keeping them at full strength the PF is probably ok, but personally I’d lose it(tactical squads are better off avoiding cc). I’d also add HF to your LS so they have a duel purpose once they’ve fulfilled their tank hunting obligations. And yes, you need an extra troop choice for sitting on home objectives; I’d pick a scout sniper squad w/ ML. With these suggestions you’d still have 25 points to play with (assuming you drop the PF) for some extra goodies for your liby.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.

I think that the major flaw is the lack of long range fire. The LR loaded w/ assault termies is expensive, but I really think it's worth the price, even at 1500. This is a highly mechanized list, so the opponent will have 7 vehicles to shoot.

I think I good solution for the 80 points is upgrading the LSs to typhoon. So they will shoot 4 krak missiles at 48", may not have the same penetration than a lascannon, but it may work.

I intended to let the tatical squad on rhinos full time, and not use them on cc . But just in case the rhino is destroyed, the PFs are a good defense to assaulting MEQ. Since I am inexperience, I can't evaluate if I will be able to keep the tac squads alive at the rhinos, so.... is the PFs worth the price this list?
I could use the 8o points to change the rhinos for the razorbacks TL Las. Then i would combat squad, and put half of the squad holding defensive obectives? In that case would be wise to keep the PFs? Anyway, I don't have razorbacks, so I would have to buy it. BTW, I have a predator, and if a drop the PFs I can use one...

Comments, please.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
If you are running the Lib with termies then I would put him in termy armor with the SS. The other thing is your army is short range. look at adding a typhoon or dropping a vind for a pred.

Storm Shield is not worth the points IMO... And in this list you're going to be extremely points tight...

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I think if you just focus on making everything else in the list have a long range threat, then you'll be fine.

Another option if you're short on cash would be to consider losing the the libby and adding Vulcan and then just go run everybody down your opponent's throat... Just switch the Plasma to Meltas and take Flamers... then go nuts...

·
Registered
221 Posts
A lot of people like typhoons, so if that’s what you want to do you should be fine, I’m not a big fan because I think the point cost is too high, but this is really just my opinion.

Changing the rhinos to razorbacks w/ TLLC is also a solid idea; I use 2 of these in my 1500 list. By combating your tactical squads and leaving behind your ML you’re basically adding 4 long range threats to your list. For this you might want to consider doing the conversion and going with LC/TLPlas instead because that will give you some extra MEQ fire power, again this is also a matter of opinion but the TLLC has a 75% chance to hit, while the LC/TLPlas is only a little bit worse with 66% chance to hit but then you get an extra weapon.

As for the power fist, at ten men strong it is a valid idea to have a power fist because typically the sergt. will still be standing by the time you get to int 1, as you should be allocating you wounds to you normal marines. But at half strength a tactical squad very much faces the possibility of being eliminated before you even get to int 1 meaning you don’t even have a chance to use the pf, but if you play cleaver and use your flamers effectively and make sure you get the charge (with a bolt pistol volley) you should be able to pull it off, but it’s not always a guarantee.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Changing the rhinos to razorbacks w/ TLLC is also a solid idea; I use 2 of these in my 1500 list. By combating your tactical squads and leaving behind your ML you’re basically adding 4 long range threats to your list. For this you might want to consider doing the conversion and going with LC/TLPlas instead because that will give you some extra MEQ fire power, again this is also a matter of opinion but the TLLC has a 75% chance to hit, while the LC/TLPlas is only a little bit worse with 66% chance to hit but then you get an extra weapon.
Agreed, as a general rule of thumb... if the role is to sit back and provide fire support, then I use a TL Las... if it's gonna push forward, then Las/Plas

·
Registered
297 Posts
Overall I like your list. It is a shame to see 5 assault termies rattling around in a Crusader. I feel like the standard LR would be a better choice. What powers do you give your librarian?

I'm uncertain about PF. Your guys are quite shooty with the plasma rifles, so perhaps you shouldn't be thinking in terms of cc. If you are worried about armour, you already have the meltagun... maybe an MB?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well..... the typhoon w MM cost 100 points.... and it is good, but fragile.

I am really considering dropping the PFs and adding a Preadator w/ side Las.

But I am still confused.... what's the best strategy? To keep just 2 scoring squads 10 man strong or to combat squad it to 4 squads 5 man strong?

I love Vulcan. But I my models are all painted as ultramarines, and if I used Vulkan (even as a ultramarine), I would do massive changes to this list.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Depends, I tend to go light on troops so I usually combat squad them to get more scoring units on the table. If you want to use them for CC, then all together, if just to hold an objective, then combat squads... Also, the terrain and your opponent can drive the decision too...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts