Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow Heretics, hope you're all well :)

I appreciate a recent post and several others for that fact have been made which relate to my queries; that being said as I am a complete beginner when it comes to the game (other than one taster session over a year a go) I'd like to tailor my questions from the ground up.

I have my plog which can be found here: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148322

This will cover my progress for my Death Guard army; I'm happy with painting and sculpting these nasty swines but to have them "game ready" with the correct load outs escapes me. I have vast collection of bitz, putty & time so I'm open to do anything really.

I'm aware I am in need of 1 HQ & 2 Troop choices; for someone beginning and looking for fun, what load-outs should I be looking at?

I have within my collection:

x1 Rhino
x14 Metal Plague Marines
x10 Space Marine Tactical Squad
x5 Space Marine Terminator Squad
x10 Chaos Space Marines w/ Forgeworld Death Guard Upgrade
x1 Chaos Space Marine Champion
x1 Forgeworld Nurgle Chaos Marine Sorcerer
x1 Forgeworld Nurgle Blight Drone
x1 Forgeworld Nurgle Daemon Prince and Herald
x1 GW Great Unclean One

+ more to come + bitz + a'lota conversions.

Thanks in advance!

- .Bragg.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Hey Bragg.

I will see if I can help.

The number 1 thing you need is a Chaos Lord with the Mark of Nurgle. This lets you take Plague Marines as Troops. Now as for what kit you give him, you have lots of options. The most popular is on a bike with the chaos artifact (Burning Brand of Skalathrax), Powerfist and Lighting claw. Gives him a good shooting attack, and quite a bit of flexablity in close combat.

Now as a Death Guard 'purist' I don't like running many fast attack options, as they are not known for them. So I would look to building him on foot and keeping him cheep, or in Terminator Armour (Just fistclaws) and run him with a few other Terminators.

For the second HQ you have the Prince or the Sorcerer. I would go with the Sorcerer, and move the Prince to an allies detachment of Chaos Deamons.

It then looks like you can pull together 5 squads of 7 marines (Nurgles number). As it looks like you are good with greenstuff and converting, I would try and make them in squads of Plague Marines. I would look to equip, 2 squads with meltas, 2 squads with Plasma guns and other with flamers. Another option is to drop a squad of plague marines and try and see if you have of the same heavy weapons and build a havoc squad with the mark of nugle.

The Rhino, convert if you can with a removable havoc missile laucher, I have been building mine onto the 'razorback' plate that comes in the kit so I can swap it out with the door pannels when I want to run it cheeper. (but the Havoc is a great bit of fire-power)

If you can get your hands on some lesser daemons then you have some good HQ choices for a allied detachment.

I hope that helps as a start.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The number 1 thing you need is a Chaos Lord with the Mark of Nurgle. This lets you take Plague Marines as Troops. Now as for what kit you give him, you have lots of options. The most popular is on a bike with the chaos artifact (Burning Brand of Skalathrax), Powerfist and Lighting claw. Gives him a good shooting attack, and quite a bit of flexablity in close combat.
Good advice, though the weapon loadout I think is illegal. The Chaos Artefact replaces one of his weapons (as said in the chaos wargear list saying "A model may replace one weapon with one of the following"), same for the power fist and lightning claw (A model can replace his bolt pistol and / or close combat weapon with one of the following). You only start with a Bolt Pistol and Close Combat weapon. So you are replacing 1 for the artefact, 1 for the fist, but then have no additional weapon to replace for the claw or vice versa.
Yet I know it is stupid as normal chaos marines and chosen can have boltguns & bolt pistols & close combat weapons all at the same time..

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Good advice, though the weapon loadout I think is illegal. The Chaos Artefact replaces one of his weapons (as said in the chaos wargear list saying "A model may replace one weapon with one of the following"), same for the power fist and lightning claw (A model can replace his bolt pistol and / or close combat weapon with one of the following). You only start with a Bolt Pistol and Close Combat weapon. So you are replacing 1 for the artefact, 1 for the fist, but then have no additional weapon to replace for the claw or vice versa.
Yet I know it is stupid as normal chaos marines and chosen can have boltguns & bolt pistols & close combat weapons all at the same time..
Giving the lord the chaos bike, gives him a new weapon. (The twinlinked Bolters) so you can replace them for the BBOS. Or you can make the argument that the Frag and Krak grenades that are also weapons that you could replace, but I dont like that argument, so yes if he is on foot he can only have the BBOS or the lightning claw.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Personally I would say replacing the guns what are on the bike is dodgy ground as well IMOO. I would say the weapon is fitted to the bike rather than being "his weapon", but I'm sure the argument can swing either way.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Personally I would say replacing the guns what are on the bike is dodgy ground as well IMOO. I would say the weapon is fitted to the bike rather than being "his weapon", but I'm sure the argument can swing either way.
I say bring it up at your local FLGS or to the player you're fighting against. I know my FLGS banned it at first, but later adopted an "unofficial FAQ" in use at a nearby tournament that allowed just such a weapon swap.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Woh, thanks guys! All your input is greatly appreciated.

It then looks like you can pull together 5 squads of 7 marines (Nurgles number). As it looks like you are good with greenstuff and converting, I would try and make them in squads of Plague Marines. I would look to equip, 2 squads with meltas, 2 squads with Plasma guns and other with flamers. Another option is to drop a squad of plague marines and try and see if you have of the same heavy weapons and build a havoc squad with the mark of nugle.
With the squad consisting of five marines (̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶m̶p̶i̶o̶n̶?̶)̶, how many of that squad would have the melta/plasma/flamer gun respectively?

As I wish to set goals, I'd like to address the HQ and two Troops:

HQ: x 1 Chaos Lord - Mark of Nurgle
Troops: x 5 Plague Marines ? w/ plasma
Troops: x 5 Plague Marines ? w/ melta

With the melta/plasma guns, as these to be the two handed variants?

Thanks in advance!

- .Bragg.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yeah Plague Marines have 2 special weapon options but no heavy weapon ones.
Chosen of chaos though are great as a 5 man squad can have 4 special weapons and 1 special or heavy weapon (though actually needs to go up to 6 marines to use them all).
Makes a great 6man squad with 5 plasma guns and the champion with a combi plasma (best he can do) at just over 210pts. Crimson Slaughter makes them even better as you can give them preferred enemy (everyone) and they cause fear as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

So... For example: One squad will have x2 Melta Guns thus leaving three more men; what load out do they have? Bolter or Bolt Pistol? What would work well for the Champion? I know I've gone for an aesthetic route with the pointing hand but can I sculpt a sheathed chainsaw with a recommended weapon?

Thanks so much in advance guys, the Heresy' has always been kind and helpful to me! :D

- .Bragg.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So... For example: One squad will have x2 Melta Guns thus leaving three more men; what load out do they have? Bolter or Bolt Pistol? What would work well for the Champion? I know I've gone for an aesthetic route with the pointing hand but can I sculpt a sheathed chainsaw with a recommended weapon?
If you don't have the Chaos Space Marine Codex that's a must. It's pretty clear on the load outs for Plague Marines. A squad of Plague Marines can consist of 2 special weapons in exchange for their Bolter (a special weapon is a Plasma, Melta or Flamer) for x points per model. Next to that on the left will have the loadout of a Plague Marine, so thats a Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Plague Knife, Blight grenades etc etc. So you can have 2 Plague Marines exchange their Bolters for a Plasma, Melta or Flamer. Your champion may then exchange his Bolter for a ranged weapon from the ranged weapon list (combi- plas, melta or flamer). As for the chainsword, Plague Marines carry a plague knife, which is a close combat weapon but wounds on a 4+ unless you're strength is higher than enemies toughness, then its 3+ or 2+ respectively. so the poison 4+ allows your S4 plague marines to tackle even T10 opponents!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
You sure can sculpt on weapons. Codex alignment is important, and i am an edition out of date... but. i say go with boltguns. Although you need to get close with meltas, this essentially puts the bolt guns in rapid fire range, and a five man squad is rarely going to lend much to a combat anyway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great advice once again, I have some referencing regarding the codex but I won't be able to buy a hard copy just yet.

X 7 Plague Marines: X2 plasma, X4 bolter - x1 Champion w/ (I'll triple check when I get back in.)
X7 Plague Marines: X2 melta, X4 bolter - x1 Champion. /w (I'll triple check when I get back in.)

X1 Nurgle Chaos Lord

How does that sound? :)

- . Bragg.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
X 7 Plague Marines: X2 plasma, X4 bolter - x1 Champion w/ (I'll triple check when I get back in.)
X7 Plague Marines: X2 melta, X4 bolter - x1 Champion. /w (I'll triple check when I get back in.)

X1 Nurgle Chaos Lord

- . Bragg.
Its not a bad setup, I personaly make sure the 4 non-special weapon marines have a mix of bolters, Bolt-pistols and CC weapons (their Plague Kives). May be one or two in the whole army whom have Blight Grenades.

Blight Grenades - made of the miniaturised heads of the enemies of Nurgle, killed by one of Nurgle's favourite plagues. The grenades scare and disorient enemies as they attack.
Quoted from http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for everyone's input, I've read each and every message and taken on board something different :)

I found this on HQ-BUILDER.COM:

9x Plague Marines (303pt.)
Mark of Nurgle;
§ 1x Plague Champion (24pt.); Power armour; Blight grenades; Krak grenades; Plague knife; Bolt pistol; Plasma Pistol;
§ 5x Plague Marine (24pt.); Power armour; Plague knife; Blight grenades; Krak grenades; Bolt pistol; Boltgun;
§ 1x Plague Marine (34pt.); Power armour; Plague knife; Blight grenades; Krak grenades; Bolt pistol; Meltagun;
§ 1x Plague Marine (34pt.); Power armour; Plague knife; Blight grenades; Krak grenades; Bolt pistol; Meltagun;
§ 1x Plague Marine (34pt.); Power armour; Plague knife; Blight grenades; Krak grenades; Bolt pistol; Boltgun; Icon of despair;
§ 1x Chaos Rhino (57pt.); Combi-bolter(x2); Smoke launchers; Searchlight; Havok launcher; Dozer blade;
To keep up with the theme I'll drop two Marines; taking them out of the group of five thus making seven! If anyone things otherwise let me know but as I'm new to it all I'm up for making mistakes and learning how I like to play :D

I think for another squad I'll simply swap out the Plasma for Melta?

- .Bragg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts