Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, im looking basically for a rough template per say, on how to build a competitive tournament list, the do's and dont's. maybe even some example lists. not looking for BA, DA, BT, and SW ideas.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Duplicity and duality. Duplicity means doubling up on unit roles so you have multiple anti-tank and anti-infantry units. Duality means a unit is capable of taking on tanks and infantry to a certain degree of effectiveness. Ensure mobility and saturation (generally through Mech for Vanilla SM). Example lists @ 2k can include: double raider (2x Raider w/10xTH/SS, Libby, 2x flamer/mm/rhino tac, 2x typhoons, 2x preds, 2x riflemen dreads), mech (libby, 3x rifleman dread, 3x2xMM/HF speeder, 3x AC/LC pred, 3x flamer/MM/rhino, 5x scouts w/cloaks & HB), Bikers (2x Command squad w/4xSS/3xLC/TH/bikes, 2x Captain w/bike/relicblade, 3xfull bike squad w/PFist/2meltagun/AB w/MM) or Fast'N'Slow which combined Mech & Bikers.

That’s a really brief look at it…couple articles here on army composition might explain it a bit better (under basics).

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Make sure to look hard at the SM special characters because some of them are fantastic force multipliers. Vulkan is probably the biggest as twin linked flamers and meltas are fantastic and makes TH/SS termies even more dangerous. Pedro is another good one for sternguard. A lot of tournament lists are based around characters like these guys and building lists around them can be both fluffy and competitive. Hooray Salamanders!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am gonna start playing sm again after a year, and was wondering if there are any new or really good combo units or hq configurations i should be aware of. i am going to play a iron hands army, and a lot of people use vulkin i wanted somthing diff like sicarios mabe.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
i am gonna start playing sm again after a year, and was wondering if there are any new or really good combo units or hq configurations i should be aware of. i am going to play a iron hands army, and a lot of people use vulkin i wanted somthing diff like sicarios mabe.
If you're going to play Iron Hands you can take a Master of the Forge and it'd be a very fluffy choice. I'd advise against any of the special characters that have Chapter Tactics since the Combat Tactics rule is so devastating.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what do you mean by "devistating" it dosn't seem that good englighten me plz. And i will be using a Motf as an "iron Father". proly used as either a motf or a chaplain...

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
what do you mean by "devistating" it dosn't seem that good englighten me plz. And i will be using a Motf as an "iron Father". proly used as either a motf or a chaplain...
Being able to just leave bad situations is really good. About to get assaulted by something? Just fail your Morale check and fall back out of distance. Stuck in a close combat you can't win? Just leave. It's very flexible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Space Marines are good for 3 reasons, easily:

1) Combat Tactics (Let's face it, you're better getting the charge off, not being stuck in combat receiving a charge...and this gives you the possibility to get out of many of these situations.)
2) TH/SS Termies with 3+ Invuls (Only answer for these guys is spamming shots and the next best thing about SM...)
3) Null Zone (The spell that single handily has killed the Jetbike Council it's that good? Yeah.)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but you cant just choose to leave right, i cant make myself fail a morale cheak my dice rollz iz to gudz.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't have my dex infront of me... but I'm pretty sure that is what it is... that when you are tasked to take a moral test, you can CHOOSE to fail it regardless of actually rolling to fall back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Man...if you're 20, please try typing more sensibly, Anensenef?

Do you have your Codex?

Combat Tactics - Any Space Marine unit with the Combat Tactics Special Rule may choose to Automatically Fail any Morale Check they're called upon to take.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was going for and arby and the chief thing(long running jokes with my buds) i don''t have the codex any more after last playing SM a while back hence i dont remember all the rules. and thank you whoever posted the combat tactics rules for me. so now I know, thank you person not trying to step on people and make them fell bad on a forum of all places. (golden rule people)..

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
kewl.... lol

I would suggest reading Kriby's article above... There is a lot of really good advice... If you can get past the pink hamburger helper thing :)

Basically, the SM codex can give you some really good builds. Depending on your style of play and what you dig about the blue guys, they should have a stye for you..

Since you talk about Iron Hands, you might look at running the MoF who will allow you to take Dreads as a heavy choice... You could potentially run 6 dreads (I'd run them all riflemen, but I like shooting things) Or you could think about a Dread Drop list.... so there are a lot of options available 4U.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Also check out a blog called Yes the Truth Hurts.... Stelek has a lot of really good advice there... Take a look at the Best Of lists.... he tends to go in for Multiple Small Units.... but if that dosen't do it for you... then at least use that as a template of what you'll have to deal with in tournament on the extreme end... If you can't come up with an answer for it, then back to the drawing board.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts