Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

Has anyone figured what is the most we can have in terms of competitive lists now that Traitor Legions is out? Anything goes regarding Allies, I'm talking about pure competition.

(before anyone lashes out to me about fun & fluff, I own over 10k points full of fluff, I play for fun a lot, but I also want to assemble a force which can stand for itself and compete at highly competitive environments as much as possible. I stopped playing 4 years ago and I started again about 2 weeks ago).

I have seen a lot of potential in Death Guard, perhaps some in Emperor's Children, I just can't seem to figure out how to assemble the "pieces of the puzzle". Online research doesn't help, most legion-specific searches bring 30K results -.-

Right now I am considering a Death Guard Warband, with a Bike Lord, a Terminators unit, 2x 5-man CSM in a Rhino, 3x Biker squads and a Havoc squad (most likely with Autocannons) as the core of the army.

However, I am confused. Would I need allies? Is the army core I posted a good base for an as-competitive-as-can-be list? (Perhaps a CAD without the Terminators & Havocs in favor of Obliterators would work as well). Damn, I am confused & overwhelmed.

Post your lists, or links to related articles, I would be grateful!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello guys,

Has anyone figured what is the most we can have in terms of competitive lists now that Traitor Legions is out? Anything goes regarding Allies, I'm talking about pure competition.

(before anyone lashes out to me about fun & fluff, I own over 10k points full of fluff, I play for fun a lot, but I also want to assemble a force which can stand for itself and compete at highly competitive environments as much as possible. I stopped playing 4 years ago and I started again about 2 weeks ago).

I have seen a lot of potential in Death Guard, perhaps some in Emperor's Children, I just can't seem to figure out how to assemble the "pieces of the puzzle". Online research doesn't help, most legion-specific searches bring 30K results -.-

Right now I am considering a Death Guard Warband, with a Bike Lord, a Terminators unit, 2x 5-man CSM in a Rhino, 3x Biker squads and a Havoc squad (most likely with Autocannons) as the core of the army.

However, I am confused. Would I need allies? Is the army core I posted a good base for an as-competitive-as-can-be list? (Perhaps a CAD without the Terminators & Havocs in favor of Obliterators would work as well). Damn, I am confused & overwhelmed.

Post your lists, or links to related articles, I would be grateful!
There are many legions worth to play.. death guard is one of the top for sure. I'll choose the chaos warband instead base cad for 2 reasons:
- obj sec on every unit
- reroll 1s on fnp rolls, morphing your army in necrons with heavy weapons.
And yes.. bike are one of the best units to field. And relentless on havocs make them pretty awesome.

But Death Guard resilience can be pretty useless in these days, depends all on your meta man. If you play usually against D weapons and spamming of space conclaves, then feel no pain loose utility. In addiction relics of DG are very "meh".

There's many combinations, maybe too many with this book.
Have you notice black legion?
The warband allow roll for deepstrike in turn 1.. no need roll if your lord have deep strike.
You potentially assault on turn one by using raptors talons formation with black legion warband and deliver your nasty axelord in the opponent's face.

Just for example

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
There are many broken ways to make CSM dirty competitive (not eldar level, but definitely on par with Marines and Tau, even above Necrons)
Mixing legions is key. Allies are key. I've read some discussions on the net talking about black legion alpha strike lists plus Iron warriors CAD with comm relays and troop obliterators. pretty hefty. Also, respawning cultists spam with alpha legion plus tau allies seems to me quite stupid and evil. a tau gundam formation plus circa 90 infiltrating respawning cultists...(and a barenaked chaos warband)
death guard warband (circa 900 pts) + minimum auxiliary spawn (36 pts :p ) + vraksian unending host (artillery based, circa 900 pts) seems good enough to me.
My least favourite, but most effective i think, is summoning galore with tzeentch Sorc formations + Word bearers nurgle marked sorc on palanquin spamming daemons summoning. add an iron warriors CAD with daemon prince and 2+, IWND armour and 6 obliterators... some nice mix in there.
I'd basically say that as before, chaos will fare best when maxing psykyk powers and pairing with daemons. Also, heavy fire (with tank hunter!) as troops is extra sexy.
My two rambling cents.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dislike unfluffy lists myself, but to put it straight, my local meta is "crush without mercy" at tournaments :p And since we CSM are in a disadvantageous position at the moment (Legions buffed us up a bit, but still not too much), at least I wish to even up the odds by utilizing the most powerful list we can build and stand a chance (there is also the skill factor, terrain, etc).

So, I am keeping my fluffy Warbands for Campaigns and Apocalypse, let's get into the most effective build.

Neferhet, you mentioned summoning galore with tzeentch Sorc formations + Word bearers nurgle marked sorc on palanquin spamming daemons summoning, plus an iron warriors CAD with daemon prince and 2+, IWND armour and 6 obliterators.

Can you put it all together in a list?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I dislike unfluffy lists myself, but to put it straight, my local meta is "crush without mercy" at tournaments :p And since we CSM are in a disadvantageous position at the moment (Legions buffed us up a bit, but still not too much), at least I wish to even up the odds by utilizing the most powerful list we can build and stand a chance (there is also the skill factor, terrain, etc).

So, I am keeping my fluffy Warbands for Campaigns and Apocalypse, let's get into the most effective build.

Neferhet, you mentioned summoning galore with tzeentch Sorc formations + Word bearers nurgle marked sorc on palanquin spamming daemons summoning, plus an iron warriors CAD with daemon prince and 2+, IWND armour and 6 obliterators.

Can you put it all together in a list?
later will do, might be some food for thoughts for me too :)

hey, no refunds!! :laugh:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can pay you with morally questionable amounts of warp dust :p

Reactions: neferhet

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Reactions: ntaw

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Brainstorming list:

-Heralds Anarchic (each herald gives you +1 warp charge until it dies...)
5 tzeentch heralds, ML 2 (350 pts)

-Iron Warrior CAD
Tzeentch Daemon prince, Wings, ML3, Relic Armour (can't remember the name) (295)
6x1 obliterator, veteran (420)
2x5 havocs, 4 autocannons, veteran (230)
Aegis Line + ammunition dump (65)

Word bearers CAD

Nurgle Sorceror, palanquin, ML 3, familiar (190)
35 cultists (150)
10 cultists (50)

comes in at 1750 roughly. 21 warp charge, lots of firepower, obnoxious summoning.

The anarchist can begone to allow the Word bearers to field a Lost and the damned formation + a basic warband, which would be better, imo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very strong!
But you have to change heavy supports of IW since units of obli are max 3 guys each

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Very strong!
But you have to change heavy supports of IW since units of obli are max 3 guys each

they are IW, so they are troops and they are 6 units of 1 model, filling up troop role choices :wink2:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
And what about 1850pts? :D

Edit: So, seems like I have to buy a gazillion Daemons and have them with me at tournaments :'(

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So far:

HERALDS ANARCHIC (210)
3x Herald of Tzeentch, Mastery Level 2

IRON WARRIORS CAD (1010)

HQ
Daemon Prince of Tzeentch, Wings, Mastery Level 3, Relic Armor

TROOPS
1x6 Obliterator

HEAVY SUPPORT
2x5 Havocs (4x Autocannons each)

FORTIFICATIONS
Aegis Defence Line + Ammo Dump

WORD BEARERS CAD (190+?)
HQ
Chaos Sorcerer, Mark of Nurgle, Palanquin, Mastery Level 3, Spell Familiar

TROOPS
?

LOST & THE DAMNED (305)
Dark Apostle
4x10 Cultists

This is at 1715pts. This is 15 Warp Charge, not bad at all I think for summoning galore.

135 more pts to go. I could dump the Heralds and a Havoc squad and go for a Warband for the Word Bearers as advised (naked lord, termicide squad, 3 bikes with 2 melta, 1 havoc squad -the one dumped from the IW- and 2x5csm), but I can't find room for the Nurgle sorcerer if I do so. As-is, I can put a 5-man CSM squad and a 10-man Cultist squad as Troops on the Word Bearers CAD.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Well, the word bearers could become an allied detachment. You go for 1 Hq (palanquin lord) and 1 troop such as 5 marines with melta+combimelta in a rhino with dozerblade. 135 pts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts