Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These guys are my favorite loyalists. Love the heraldry, fanaticism, courage, and unyielding nature of the Black Templar. Their fluff is some of thre best in 40K if you ask me.

This is my attempt at trying to make a competitive list, but still get in those super killy Termis w/ Veteran skills. Looks pretty good to me but please feel free to pick it apart!

No pity! No Remorse! No Fear!

Emperor's Champion 140 Points
- Accept any Challenge, No Matter the Odds

Marshal 145 Points
- Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Storm Shield

Sword Brethern Terminator Assualt Squad (5) 215 Points
- Lightning Claws (5), Furious Charge

Land Raider Crusader 293 Points
- Blessed Hull, Smoke Launchers

Venerable Dreadnought 165 Points
- Twin-linked Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Tank Hunter

Crusader Squad (5) 195 Points
- Bolters (3), Lascannon, Meltagun
- Razorback w/ Twin-linked Lascannon

Crusader Squad (6) 195 Points
- Bolters (4), Lascannon, Meltagun

Crusader Squad (10) 243 Points
- Chainsword/ Bolt Pistol (9), Power Fist/ Bolt Pistol, Frag Gernades
- Rhino w/ Smoke Launchers, Extra Armour

1850/1850

·
Registered
366 Posts
Looks good and not miles apart from my 1500 list.

I'd question the use of the meltas on the Lazorbacks. You'll find alot of the time they are just sat way back firing away and that melta will never get any use. If you definatly want to make use of the special weapon option then Plasma gun should be better or even save points and stick with a rank and file bolter.

I'd also look in the direction of a GK hero in place of the Marshall (who i belive should be 165 points).

For 121 points you can get a Brother Captain withpretty much the same setup AND a psychic hood leaving you to bulk out further (another super killy termie!)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Venerable gives it a reroll on the pens and also lets you take it as tank hunter - Str 10 lascannon and Str 9 Missile all the way baby.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrighty, so the modified list looks like:

Marshal 150 Points
- Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Storm Shield, Bionics

Crusader Squad (5) 191 Points
- Bolters (3), Lascannon, Plasma Gun

Crusader Squad (6) 207 Points
- Bolters (4), Lascannon, Plasma Gun

1847/1850

Not a drastic change by anymeans. I stuck with the Marshal more for the fact I like the fact that all my squads are leadership 10 with him on the board as I'm told I still haveta test for target priority as it's in the BT Codex? :search: I really like the BT but does this Codex have some quirks! :p

The more I play around with the Raven Guard idea the more I like it. But the list i posted on here was completely ignored for replies. So I figure it was either that good that no changes needed to be made (highly unlikely) or people aren't a big fan of the Raven Guard?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Drop the Rhino squad and replace them with 2x Inquisitorial Storm Troopers with double melta in Rhinos. That costs only 3 points more. Also replace TL las with las/plas.

EDIT: And lose the plasma guns.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Looks good and not miles apart from my 1500 list.

I'd question the use of the meltas on the Lazorbacks. You'll find alot of the time they are just sat way back firing away and that melta will never get any use. If you definatly want to make use of the special weapon option then Plasma gun should be better or even save points and stick with a rank and file bolter.

I'd also look in the direction of a GK hero in place of the Marshall (who i belive should be 165 points).

For 121 points you can get a Brother Captain withpretty much the same setup AND a psychic hood leaving you to bulk out further (another super killy termie!)
Hail,

A Grey Knight Hero doesn't have a place in a chapter that totally hates psykers(which the GK Hero is). Now it may be a loophole as far as the legality is of having the GK Hero in a Templars list, the fluff issue has no gray area.

BFTBG!!

World Eater

·
Registered
263 Posts
Black Templars hate psykers. Grey Knights are an exception (stated in the codex iIrc), as they have been purified by the blessed power of the Emperor (as have all navigators and astropaths, else the Black Templars wouldn't get very far or know where to go).

Very killy list, by the looks of it. I always loved AACNMTO, as it more or less nulls enemy WS in determining your own rolls.

I do agree with the idea of adding GK and storm troopers, fluffwise, but for competitive purposes, I don't really see the need to add any 4+ saves, unless they're neophytes.

Am I to assume the EC rides with the Terminators/Marshal? If so, that's a large sum of points to hurl into enemy hands. Perhaps slap the EC in a rhino? Just a thought.

Also, where's the fast attack in all this? I see four troops options (should be way more than enough) and a heavy HQ/Elite bowling-ball of death, but no fast attack. No heavy support, for that matter, unless we're counting the Dreadnought and Land Raider Crusader?

·
Registered
186 Posts
No heavy support because of the linchpin set up of the army. Their are a crap tone of points in the LRC. That and LazBack in the templar list is way overpriced imo. I like running the EC and Marshal in rhinos, because the crap tone of lightning claw attacks are going to kill just about anything in one go, so the killing power of the champ, and the marshal are lost in the group.
Drop the 6man lazback & 2 marines & u can add a vindicator & auto laz pred. For thew loss of a scoring unit U can add a lot of fire power. hope that helps. Good Luck & Happy HuntinG!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like your suggestions r9a9g9e. So much I implemented them. This army is looking pretty freaking good IMO. :victory: Can't wait to test this bad boy out!

No pity! No remorse! No fear!

Marshal 141 Points
- Artificer Armour, Power Weapon, Storm Shield, Frag Gernades, Terminator Honours

Crusader Squad (5) 191 Points
- Bolters (3), Lascannon, Plasma Gun

Crusader Squad (9) 227 Points

Crusader Squad (9) 227 Points

Vindicator 125 Points

Predator Destructor 125 Points
- Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons

1848/1850

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your list almost resembles mine! Only difference is as much as I like the awesomeness of Termies and the LRC I just can't force myself to spend that many points on 1 unit. Same with Laz Razorbacks. I can take 2 Land Speeders with MM, a squad of 4 Bikes and 1 Attack Bike with a MM, and an 8 man Initiate squad with PF and Flamer in a Rhino thats point scoring for 14 points more(522 total) than just your LRC and 5 Termies(508 total). 3 seperate MMs, one of them with 4 TL Bolters, runing around the field and an almost full squad of Marines in a Rhino just seems a bit more worth it points wise than a single tank that can go down with a lucky roll and possibly explode and kill a couple of the inhabitants, and a 5man unit that is amazing in CC but can't score points or shoot. But I do like the list a lot. If I were to ever field the Termie/LRC this is probably how I'd go about doing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts