Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally as i have said elsewhere on the forum, i think eldar have taken a massive hit in the new codex. I can only really see mech eldar remaining competative, with hybrid and infantry being on the whole too fragile. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
138 Posts
You don't think the 27 Harlequin 2 Fire Prism 2 Vibrocannon 2 jetbike 2 farseer army looks frightening?

If i was seriously trying to win the final, its what i'd use.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose harlies do look scary, but i for one will be taking measures against them in my gt list, whatever i decide to take...and i'm sure others will too. The main thing being, who actually has 27 harlequins with kisses?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I personally don't think it is scary,

I think any army with fast moving multishot capability would wipe the army out without loosing very much at all.

Move all the speeders / preds etc out at once and watch the Harlequins fail 5+ saves. Then with 90% of the army gone finish the remainder off at leasure. I agree Harlequins are scary it certain circumstances but not at the GT

·
Registered
81 Posts
I believe that eldar have really suffered under the new codex, to me it seems that mech eldar are really the only way to go, unless you plan on taking Eldrad and forming a fire base.

While the harliquins have potential, I think that foot slogging harliquins are not the way forward as under the new system you need to be able to deal with every army if you want to achieve a top 10 finish. I think that the style of army that Torgoch mentioned will do very well against certain armies but will suffer badly against others, meaning that it can not easily consistantly win. However Saying that I believe that 3 units of 6 harliquins all in falcons may work better.

What do you think?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think due to the 50/50 esgaylation situation at the GT mech Is the obvious way to go, only problem Is with the spirit stone and SC nerf there Just not strong enough In my view to win the whole thing, they do really now require great skill to use having to rely on their combined arms skill rather than the previous 'win' lists I.e Ulthwe,Alaiotic and falcon/serpant spam.
I think one of their few 'meta' Improvements Is the fire prism I'd expect to see at least two In every army due to their all-rounder ability.
I've been using a mech list for a month or two which could be similar to what you might find at the finals, I'll go post It up.....

·
Registered
630 Posts
However Saying that I believe that 3 units of 6 harliquins all in falcons may work better.

What do you think?
Too many eggs In too few baskets I think with that one, that combo could potentially cost you up to 1000pts and given poor terrain or a cheeky Infilgay Alpha list the game could be over turn 1! :shock:
I think balance Is the key along with damn good 40k skills, Kudos to any Eldar player that makes It Into the top 10 In my book.

·
Registered
81 Posts
LongBeard said:
Too many eggs In too few baskets I think with that one, that combo could potentially cost you up to 1000pts and given poor terrain or a cheeky Infilgay Alpha list the game could be over turn 1! :shock:
Thinking about it I believe that I would have to agree with you there. The idea in theory seems to have potential, but with the points cost involved the idea in practice will suffer.

LongBeard said:
I think balance Is the key along with damn good 40k skills, Kudos to any Eldar player that makes It Into the top 10 In my book.
I would definitely agree that it seems unlikely that the Eldar will win the GT this year. I am now starting to wonder what will take the top spot this year; will it be Chaos/Iron Warriors, Marines/Blood Angels or possibly Tau? I have my suspicions, but nothing concrete.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am now starting to wonder what will take the top spot this year; will it be Chaos/Iron Warriors, Marines/Blood Angels or possibly Tau? I have my suspicions, but nothing concrete.
I'm thinking BA's stand a damn good chance! :wink:
Should be Interesting to see what the regular Eldar players come up with as most of the general 'meta' netlists I've seen so far have yet to Impress.....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Aye, BA have a good chance- so would any army with a bonus 200pts Fearless assault squad with extra gubbins, :wink:

Seriously though.

I expect Mech Tau, Iron Warriors, Ass Cannon Spam, Skimmer Spam Eldar, BA to be the top 10.

I'd like to say Iron Warriors will be no 1 on account of their beardiness, but I don't know- many of the other top armies are designed primarily to fight IW now.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i reckon BA are a stong contender to....now if i can convince jezlad to start an IW army maybe i can pinch his and give it a go :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Come on Boys...Eldar where and will always be one of the top armies in a GT. I know that Warlocks are very expensive now but what do think of something like this ???

Farseer [jetbike, Mindwar, singingspear]

3 jetbikes[shuriken cannon] + Warlock [embolden, singing spear]

6 Fire Dragons

Falcon + spirit stones, holo field

Fire Prisim + spirit stones, holo field

Fire Prisim + spirit stones, holo field

Is it scary and fast moving ???

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you think that Mech eldar are the only way to play competetively with them, you simply havent played enough eldar players/armies.

I just won best general at a 24 player RTT with an infantry based list, going undefeated and maxing out every game in battle points. Eldar infantry are NOT fragile if accompanied by an avatar. The firepower from a shooting infantry list blows away anything that a mech list can muster.

By the way, the harlequin and jetbike lists are both pretty unimaginative and will get stomped at competetive tournements, just to let you guys know.

This codex makes for GREAT toolbox lists. Find a base to start on, then add/subtract units for effectiveness. Any eldar list that depends on a single unit choice will get trounced as the units in our codex need each other to perform more effectively...as its always been, but even more so now.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think Harlies In the right hands can be quite filthy but as long as you have some sort of rapid reponse units to shoot the hell out of them you should be fine. If I come across them at the GT I think my Preds and speeders should slap them fine, also add In fury If my libby doesn't die due to RO-Warding first. :cry:
To be honest I think the best Eldar armies at any tourney are going to be the finely tuned combined arms lists where the player has playtested rigourously and knows EXACTLY what to do with his list against ALL armies.
So basically to sum It up there Is no netlist, yet! :wink:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Not sure If Stompy comes on here (hope he doesn' mind!) but this Is a list that he's posted up on Warseer.
Again combined arms ftw, I think the use of Eldritch with multiple shuriken cannons Is quite cheaky and having the Vibro's to potentially protect the serpants and Prisms from other AT shooters I.e skimmers, Preds Is a pretty damn good combo.
Would have to be played well obviously but pretty devastating If done correctly.

Farseer, bike, spear, ROWarding, Eldritch Storm - 123

Elites
8 x Banshees inc exarch - executioner + Warshout - 155
Wave serpent - TL Shuricannon, underslung SC, Spirit stones, vectored engines - 140

Troops
10 x Dire Avengers inc exarch twin shuricats, bladestorm + defend - 167
Wave Serpent - TL EML, Vectored engines, Spirit stones - 150

6 x pathfinders - 144

Fast Attack
Twin shuricannon Vyper - 60

Heavy Support
Fire prism - Shuricannon, spirit stones, Holofield - 170

Fire prism - Shuricannon, spirit stones, Holofield - 170

2 Vibro Cannons - 100

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think vibros are a must have in an eldar army nowadays (much like falcons with holofields were generally before). I can't really see any kind of OTT eldar army from the first few months of the new codex - every list seemingly has weaknesses which can be exploited. However i definitely think there will be a few mass harlequin/eldrad and his many brothers lists at the final, which mech FW tau love :)

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
very similar to a list i posted on 40kforums not so long ago, but i had jetbikes over vypers, firdragons over banshees and doom/mindwar on the farseer

·
Registered
62 Posts
LongBeard said:
To be honest I think the best Eldar armies at any tourney are going to be the finely tuned combined arms lists where the player has playtested rigourously and knows EXACTLY what to do with his list against ALL armies.
So basically to sum It up there Is no netlist, yet! :wink:
My opinion exactly on the combined arms comment.

To you guys that asked about my list....

So far, actually, its a substandard list that I'm running only because I dont have quite enough guardians and the Harlequins havent been released yet.

In 2000 pts I run...

HQ

Eldrad

ELITE

6x Banshees with Exarch-Mirrorswords, no powers

TROOPS

10xGuardians with Scatterlaser
10xDire Avengers w/Exarch-twin Shuricat, Bladestorm
mounted in WaveSerpent w/Brightlance, Spirit Stones, Vectored engines

F. ATTACK

Vyper with Scatterlaser
9xSwoopingHawks w/Exarch-Sunrifle, Skyleap, Intercept

H.SUPPORT

5xDark Reapers w/Exarch-EML, Fast Shot, Crack Shot
3xWarWalker 4xScatterlaser 2xStarCannon
3xWarWalker 4xScatterlaser 2xStarCannon

It might seem light to many people on anti-tank, but the fact is, I simply dont have a problem at all with armour. There is more than enough STR 6 to take out lightly armoured vehicles (including souped up falcons which I've pasted time and time again). Land Raiders and Monoliths? If the hawks dont suicide and take them out then you simply murder everything else on foot. Against a foot slogging army, if this list goes (shoots) first, your opponent is done. Combining Eldrad, the Avatar, and fearless guardians, close combat is not feared in the least.

Several elements of this list are leaving once my collection gets a bit bigger and I pick up a few key units and embellish others with better numbers. However, this has been the base I've built on and against Novice to above average players, this list has been hard to overcome. True veteran players even have a hard time with it, but so far, thats what its taken in order to beat the list.

Combined forces are the way to go guys, none of this 3 man jetbike spam or 30 harlequin crap. Mech Eldar...maybe, but mech eldar will NEVER give you the versatility of large numbers of foot troopers. Grav Tanks may take the glory out of all the units in the codex, but foot troopers take the real estate, and thats how you win games. You cant hold ground without men on the board.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.