Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Ultramarines distinguish thier companies via the shoulder pad rim and I was wondering weather any one else knew how other chapters distinguish thier companies.

I'm looking to do a Post-Heresy army because I really want a force with Mk6-8 marines and the new SM tank kits but i'm also a fan of painting armour accurately or rather what Games workshop made up.

With my knowledge that just leaves me with the Ultramarines and that dosn't interest me so much, I was thinking about Blood Ravens so I could have a father and son mix, Thousand sons in the "past" and Blood Ravens in the "future" but again i'm not sure how they mark thier companies.

Any one got any ideas that will be great, oh and one more thing. No one cares about space wolves end of.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Well most Chapters (especially strictly Codex ones) denote their Company colours somewhere on their armour, whether it be Shoulder Trim, Chest Plate ornamentation, knee armour, gauntlet etc etc

Also the colours the Ultramarines use are by no means the only colours, whilst the Imperial Fists use the exact same method other chapters use different colours to denote various companies and some don't differentiate between Companies at all- the Codex actually encourages this variation, and also espouses the occasional change of Company markings so as to confuse enemies.

Basically what I'm getting at is that Insignium Astartes says that anything you do is fine :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Not sure I understand that last bit, but it generally depends on the chapter you choose and how much they adhere to the codex astartes. Its not that the Ultramarines alone use trim colour to signify company markings but rather many chapters do that as it is laid down.

What colour denotes what is left to the person, but other idea's to work with are different helmet colours as sometimes used by the Blood Angels. (Though for them they use this to denote regular marines, devestators, assault, and elite squads.) Some chapters make slight alterations to the chapter icon, or have specific heraldry denoting which company they belong to on the opposite shoulder.

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
AAARRGH. Ninjaed by Baron and Reever :threaten:

The way the Ultramarines distinguish their Company colours is they method put down by the Codex Astartes. Meaning that any Chapter that is a Codex Astartes Chapter (or any found in Codex: Space Marine) would also distinguish their Companies in the same colour designation. A Chapter may change properties of the Company markings to ensure that the enemy cannot identify the specifics of a Chapter's force through repeated conflict.

Hope that helps a bit.

Grish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts