Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew had a good question concerning the forces/factions of the 40K galaxy and that was "Who are the most common and least common of them all?"

Well I am sure many have their own opinions concerning this subject; but if you ask me it goes something like this.

I start with the most common and work my way down to the least common. Now I didn't completely separate all of them so please don't get upset over it.

Obviously humans are everywhere as the dominant species so
1. Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy and PDF
2. Traitors and Rogues
3. Adeptus Mechanicus, Adeptus Arbites and the Inquistion(Including all Ordos; but not including the Sisters of Battle or the Grey Knights)
4. Chaos Cults, Mutants and Alien sympathizers
At this point I suppose it all depends on what front you fight on; but we start to get into aliens and daemons.
5. Chaos Daemons, Tyranids and Orks
6. Eldar (including exodite and craftworlds)
7. Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle
8. Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Renegade Marines etc etc(Marines maybe the most common on the table top and the most popular; but fluffwise they are not that common)
9. Tau and other various Xeno factions
10. Necrons
11. Grey Knights(this was kinda obvious)

I imagine some are gonna read this and think I don't know what I'm talking about; but instead of disagreeing with me and steering up what can be an extremely controversial debate please just post witch army's you believe to be more common in the 40K Galaxy :eek:k:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Orks are probably the second most numerous - they may even outnumber the Guard.

Chaos Demons don't really have numbers, they appear and vanish at the will of the chaos gods and there are always 'enough'.

The Inquisition (not counting GK, SOB and Deathwatch) are a far smaller number than you estimate. Maybe 100'000 total (Inquisitors, acolytes and stormtroopers combined)

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I think that Orks and Tyranids probably outnumber humans. Daemons are infinite, so there is no way of counting them...

There is no way of knowing how many Necrons there are, but considering that they had enough to rule the whole galaxy, not just the small bits that humans know about, then there probably are far more than you would think. At any rate, every chapter of SM combined is going to be an order of magnitude less than the total number of Necrons, Tau, or even Eldar. 1,000,000 (1,000x1,000) maximum for SM, and there are almost certainly far less than this when you think about the constant warring and chapters turning traitor or renegade.
IG will be in the billions in total, as would Orks and Tyranids be.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry I guess I should have been more clear on the subject.

Its not a numbers game its about encounters and what is more common in the 40K galaxy that is dominated by the Imperium. Now I know opinions could greatly sway in others favor from different points of view concerning locations and what not; but that was the idea I was trying to get at so I posted a list of what I thought was more common and asked to see what your thoughts were and possible your own list. Of course one could say I'm just looking at this from an Imperials point of view.

I apologize for the confusion :eek:k:

The Inquisition (not counting GK, SOB and Deathwatch) are a far smaller number than you estimate. Maybe 100'000 total (Inquisitors, acolytes and stormtroopers combined)
I posted the Inquisition in 3rd because there always seems to be an Inquisitor or one of his henchmen involved in everything in one way or another.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Ah. Sorry I misunderstood.

Here's my opinion:

1. PDF- every planet has one (or at least every planet with consistent contact with the Imperium)
2. Adeptus Mechanicus/Arbites
3. Imperial Guard
4. Imperial Navy (even if it's only a system defence ship)
5. Renegades/Heretics
6. Xenos or Chaos Cultists/Heretics
8. Orks
9. Adepta Sororitas (Sisters of Battle)
10. Miscellaneous Xenos (Hrud, Mercenary Kroot etc)
11. Adeptus Astartes (Space Marines)
12. Chaos Space Marines
13. Dark Eldar
14. Eldar
15. Tyranids
16. Inquisition
17. Necrons
18. Grey Knights/Death Watch

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
My thoughts are much the same as Baron's; with the exception of normal Eldar probably being more prevalent than Dark Eldar.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
D'oh forget Tau, here's my refined list:

1. PDF- every planet has one (or at least every planet with consistent contact with the Imperium)
2. Adeptus Mechanicus/Arbites
3. Imperial Guard/Imperial Navy
4. Renegades/Heretics
5. Xenos or Chaos Cultists/Heretics
6. Orks
7. Adepta Sororitas (Sisters of Battle)
8. Miscellaneous Xenos (Hrud, Mercenary Kroot etc)
9. Adeptus Astartes (Space Marines)
10. Chaos Space Marines
11. Dark/Corsair Eldar
12. Eldar
13. Tyranids
14. Tau
Inquisition
16. Necrons
17. Grey Knights/Death Watch

I placed the Imperial Guard and Navy together because it occurred to me that you won't have Imperial Guard without some element of Imperial Navy present (transports and such)

I put the Dark Eldar higher than Craftworld Eldar because the CE hold to a very isolationist policy whereas the DE actively seek out and raid vulnerable worlds and shipping convoys so might be encountered more often than their Craftworld brethren.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts