Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started collecting 40k when I was younger i could never commit to a army, now I am older I thought I would be able to commit to collecting and painting a 1500pt list but some things never change...

I always end up building an army and after a few months of painting the same colour and collecting and glueing the same looking figures, reading and re-reading the same tactics for your list you decide, "I don't like Space Marines (or who ever) anymore i want to start collecting Necrons (or something)"

How can I commit to an Army, is speed painting the way forward?

How do you commit and build a decent list and how long does it take you to build and paint a 1500pt army?

·
Registered
113 Posts
variety is the key, when i was bored with an army i took a radically different army. i switched from Tau to Space wolves To vampire counts to Grey knights and back again because i was up for it.
downside to this is that you need a decent amount of money.
in the end you will always go back i find

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I tend to colelct armies over a period of time and then change once I have reached a certain level of points. A good way I find to focus on an army is to give your self a target. Mine is normally a particular torunament to get ready for.

For example my most recent ork army was a massive project spaning almost 2 years. I basically said I wanted to use it in the first Throne of Skulls in 2013. I made the target with a few weeks to spare.I then have had a break only doing a few bits and pieces here and there. I am now on a new Deamon army which I am aiming to complete by the first tournament in 2015.

Another way to keep interest is to make sure you use the army, even in its incomplete form, if you can find peple who don't mind playing against substitute units. I had a number of games where I used a rhino as a truckk or a normal boss as Mad Dokk Grotsnikk.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow 2 years to build a list... maybe I have high expectations of building a list in a few months. I've tried to keep my interesting by customising every unit, it's more pricey but it keeps me interested in that army a bit longer as each individual unit has it's own unique look. Do people find it easier buying units then painting them up later so or paint a unit before moving to the next purchase?

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you like the gaming side of the hobby (and it sounds like you do) play with your army. Start out working to 500 pts, then 1000, then 1500. Take time to consider your list and get used to the playstyle and then play often (even with gray or just partially constructed bits). Almost all the figures in my painting log (in my sig) are 20+ years old. They had been sitting in my hobby room untouched since I stopped playing in 3ed, so 15 years or so. I had no motivation to paint them until I started playing again. That has kept me wanting to get those painted minis on the field.

Another suggestion with the new Allies rules, a 500 pt "allied contingent" is a great way to test out other armies or scratch that "different" army bug, but still work towards your main goal. Bonus, if you like the allies you have a core force to build upon later.

Once again all this is based on actually using the minis, there are many people who are more than willing to play you even if your army is "in work".

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm always thinking of other cool armies to build, thinking up colour schemes, fluff and writing army lists, but always as a future project once the current project is finished. Don't buy all of your models at once (you'll be stuck working on a list you wrote up months ago) and make sure it's an army you really want to invest the time and money in. Paint as much as possible when you're starting out and full of motivation, then hopefully you'll hit the point where you've painted enough that it would be easier just to press on and get it finished. It takes a bit of discipline but if you make the right decision in the first place it'll be easier

Maybe the best approach would be refraining from starting a new project until a couple of months have passed and it's still what you want to do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes a lot of sense :)

So how long do people spending building a list that is fully painted? And does anyone find the painting side of thing gets quicker with practice? Or do most field base coated models?

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
That makes a lot of sense :)

So how long do people spending building a list that is fully painted? And does anyone find the painting side of thing gets quicker with practice? Or do most field base coated models?
This all depends on how quick a painter you are or how big the army is. But I would suspect at least a year for most armies for a lot of people. I take a lot longer as I am a slow painter (maybe a squad of 10 models a month) and I tend to do a lot of conversions with my recent armies.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I always start buying 500 pts worth of stuff. Then while i paint this 500 pts (and yes, speed painting helps me alot) i decide what to buy next. I rarely go for just one list, though: i just buy units I like and then build lists with them. mayebe once in awhile i understand that I should need that unit and go for the buy.
my 4000+ points of chaos needed 4 years to get painted...just because i'm lazy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's looking like my tyranid army will be done almost exactly a year after I started, with about 2000 points total. I think I've got about two months until I hit that one year mark. By then I'll have painted 113 gaunts, 8 genestealers, five monstrous creatures, 9 medium sized creatures (warriors, biovores, zoans) and a bunch of spore mines and ripper swarms. I'm a slow painter but I put a lot of hours into it. A relatively fast painter could have done all of that in 6 months. Somebody as slow as me but without the time to paint could take upwards of two years to do it all

Painting has never been a process that got faster for me, it's actually been the opposite. How many hours it takes to finish something depends on a few factors

1. How many colours are used. The best painted models might look like they only use a handful of colours but you can bet what looks like blue actually involves several different shades of blue layered to give depth. Highlighting is a time consuming process and the more you do the more time it'll take to finish a model

2. Level of detail. This ties in with number 1, and is largely based on your own standards. Some might paint space marine helmet eye lenses red and have done with it, whereas others will use highlighting with different shades of red and maybe put a little white dot on both lenses to show they're both coloured glass with light passing through. Some might be happy to have slightly sloppy work with paint layered quickly and unevenly over the model, while others want every model to stand up to close scrutiny with no mistakes apparent, and may thin their paints as they work to make sure the layers of paint lie smoothly over the model and don't obscure detail

3. Techniques. Alternative painting methods like drybrushing, feathering and using ink washes (to flow into the recesses for easy depth) create effects on models which are often faster than painting everything with normal brush strokes. Experience teaches you when to use certain techniques or you can follow guides to know when to use the various techniques and see what effect they'll create

4. Practice panting the scheme you are currently using. Painting your first imperial guardsman will take extra time as you figure out what to do next after every stage and consider whether it looks good or not, but when you've done 30 or 40 it's all automatic and you know exactly what's coming next and can just get on with it

There are probably other things that aren't coming to mind right now. The point is there are plenty of factors going into how long it takes to paint a model, let alone an entire army. The best thing is to buy a few cheap snapfit models and try painting them (one at a time) with different techniques to see what comes out best and what you think is the right amount of time you're willing to spend. Once you know how you're going to paint your guys most people paint models a few at a time to speed things up a bit. Fuck, I wrote too much.

tldr; How long it takes to paint depends on how you paint

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I convert, every model I built HAS to be different to any other model I've seen, it keeps me on my toes, and keeps the army interesting.
And I never let myself buy another model until the last ones done and painted, so I don't have unpainted models sitting around 15+ years eviltwin!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts