Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the polar opposite of the all-plastic Franks I just did in July - this time it's all Vikings and all metal. Most of the minis are by Foundry miniatures, but there are some notable additions as well.

Without much further ado, here are some WIPs of the gang!

Veterans with two-handed axes:

Warriors:

Warriors from Saxon Miniatures (very nice sculpts, hands and faces not as nice as on Foundry minis, a bit more delicate maybe, weapons aren't cast onto hands):

Berserkers:

Well, I hope you like them so far! :)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
love the berserker. Your work is professional as always.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Har! :laugh:

Anyhoo, nice work there Sig! :good:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@Oldman78, Tawa: Oh, you. :p Thanks for the comment and for being in top form as usual. :D

@meferhet: Cheers, that's very nice to hear. :)

Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

Update on the Saxon Miniatures Viking warriors (just to keep stuff confusing):

They're pretty much done now, only lacking basing and shields on some of them. Those I'll add lateron when the whole army is done to this point. Hope you like them so far. :)

This past weekend we played some "Vikings raid village and Anglo-Saxon defenders have to shoo them away before they take too much stuff and people away with them":

I plan to write up a proper game report too soon (as soon as time allows), so just a few impressions for now.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Okay, back to metal and vikings. Here's an update on the rest of the regular warriors:

These are at the same level as the guys above now, only lacking basing and shields. The next unit (veterans with great axes) are on the table already. Tomorrow there probably won't be an update as i'll be out for most of the day. In the evening I'll have another game of Dux Britanniarum, so at least there's that connection to this thread. ;)

Thanks for looking, looking forward to any and all comments!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, okay, ONE update for you today. 8 Elites with greataxes:

Next: Errr...phew...Berserkers I guess. :) Not too many either. After that I'll try to get the archers done. Hope you like the elites so far!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Berserkers WIP:

Archers are cleaned and glued to bases, now I gotta run deliver the Franks. ;)

Oh, here's a picture of last night's game by the way:

I'll see that I get a battle report done asap! Good, proper game.

What's everybody up to this weekend? It's horribly hot here, so I guess I'll hide in a dark corner and not move an inch. :p

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn me, these dudes took long to do.

Hope you like them so far. These are technically Levy or armed peasants, so I chose more sombre colours and less pattern work on the clothes than on the warriors.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is not all that was done since the last update, but these are the only things halfway presentable at this point:

There's more peasant stuff coming up now (as I try to hunt down a 60mm GW-style tall round base for the warlord).

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks very much. :)

You really never heard of Saga? It's a complete smash hit. Very gamey, very playable with a thin veil of historical wargame draped around it.

The minis showcased in here are mostly Wargames Foundry minis and some by Saxon Miniatures and Gripping Beast. Because the notion that rules and minis are somehow inseparable is weird. :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, all you've seen so far is a few viking minis and pictures of games I had in a similar setting (a bit earlier though) and using a different set of rules (Dux Britanniarum), which I prefer over Saga myself. :D

Either way, due to the fact that my own review of Saga isn't done yet (it's been a few years since I played it), here's a review from a source I trust:

https://meeples.wordpress.com/reviews/rules-reviews/dark-age-medieval/saga/

As a general word of advice - listen to the Meeples and Miniatures podcast. It's good stuff (and it's got several episodes on Saga):
https://meeples.wordpress.com/

Miniatures you can get from various companies at various scales. As long as the scale fits with your opponent's minis' scale and as long as your minis look like a proper (depending on your and your opponent's definition) representation of the historical group you want to represent on the table. :) Historical wargaming is da bomb. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts