Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
health issues are never good, you didnt get knocked up did you? :p j/k (I know 6 women who were knocked up recently, so I had to say it) but its coming along nicely aru.
No I didn't. Have neck and back pain mainly and I had to deal with a numb arm this week from a random bug bite or allergic reaction. It was really weird. And thanks!~

Looking good. Though one side of the cloak has a smoother transition then the other.
For some reason, I cannot find which side that is. It looks fine to me, but I've been staring at this model for a while. :biggrin:

Looking good Arumi! Keep plucking away at him. As for health issues, I wish you the best!
I second this. Looking good girl.
Thanks guys!~ :biggrin: I'm going to be working on him again later tonight after cooking. :) I'll have more work done and show it later tonight.

·
Mentally hilarious
864 Posts
Coming together nicely, arumichic! I don't have much to add on Inquisitor Hex at the moment. I think the cloak looks good and the blending is well executed on the cloak - it will be interesting to see how the miniature comes together when the armour is done and you start to paint the details.

I was thinking about the servitors, specifically the one covered in purity seals and "paperwork". The texts and iconography is nicely done (something I usually don't have patience for). But the paper/parchment itself isn't that convincing for me. It looks a tad to yellow for my taste, may I ask which combination of colours/washes you use on it? It's all personal preference in the end but I'm still curious.

·
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
So after a two week hiatus from having to do a sudden move to Mesquite, Nv from Tx and then working for a week in California, I FINALLY got internet today. Albeit it's a bit slow, but at least it works, right? :) I'll slowly be making my way back onto Heresy at some point and be painting a lot more since I'll have time and the energy to do it to. :) And the money to get more paints! I'm starting to run low!!!

Because of the sudden move, I have not been able to finish Hector, but he will still get done in the next two weeks or so as I start painting and start settling down some more. I did bring my paints and brushes unlike someone I know. *cough*djinn*cough* So look forward to more painting soon.

Really nice blendings on the clothing!
And I like that you show so many pictures.
Thank you! I try to do the best that I can

Coming together nicely, arumichic! I don't have much to add on Inquisitor Hex at the moment. I think the cloak looks good and the blending is well executed on the cloak - it will be interesting to see how the miniature comes together when the armour is done and you start to paint the details.

I was thinking about the servitors, specifically the one covered in purity seals and "paperwork". The texts and iconography is nicely done (something I usually don't have patience for). But the paper/parchment itself isn't that convincing for me. It looks a tad to yellow for my taste, may I ask which combination of colours/washes you use on it? It's all personal preference in the end but I'm still curious.
Thanks xeno. I'm still working on Rex since life got crazy and all.
The servitor's text stuffs is done with a micron pen. It helps so much. The parchment I actually kind of like, though for one of them, it did come out a little bit too dark and like Djinn's said (I think), looks more like vellum than parchment which isn't too bad. I did it with bleached blone (or vallejo equivalent of it) then washed it with sepia and then I think a second light coating of sepia and then badab black. How would you go about it?

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Welcome back!

Now that pleasantries are over..... I DEMAND PICTURES:p

·
Mentally hilarious
864 Posts
SThanks xeno. I'm still working on Rex since life got crazy and all.
The servitor's text stuffs is done with a micron pen. It helps so much. The parchment I actually kind of like, though for one of them, it did come out a little bit too dark and like Djinn's said (I think), looks more like vellum than parchment which isn't too bad. I did it with bleached blone (or vallejo equivalent of it) then washed it with sepia and then I think a second light coating of sepia and then badab black. How would you go about it?
I usually do parchments:
Denheb Stone
Devlan Mud Wash
Kommand Kakhi highlight (saving Bleached Bone for actual bone details, hehe)

If you feel like experimenting you could try to do:
Bleached Bone
Gryphonne Sepia
Devlan Mud

I find a lot of people put far to much trust into Badab Black. It's a nice wash but it carries a lot of issues with it for me when it comes to some colours and I think a lot of people tend to get locked in on one or two washes when they are all useful in their own way (specially the brown ones Gryphonne Sepia/Ogryn Flesh/Devland Mud).

·
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Welcome back!
Now that pleasantries are over..... I DEMAND PICTURES:p
Hahaha! I don't have pictures though and I haven't done much with him. I'm planning on starting him up again this week and try to have him done by the end of this week if not the first half of next week. So there'll be more soon I promise. I need to find a good way of storing and pulling out paints easily now though since there's a kitty in the house that apparently loves to chew on wires and investigate AFTER we've gone to bed. It's a scaredy cat ninja kitty.

Coming together very nice. keep up the good work.
Thank you DocB. Hope to see you around more on Heresy.

I usually do parchments:
Denheb Stone
Devlan Mud Wash
Kommand Kakhi highlight (saving Bleached Bone for actual bone details, hehe)

If you feel like experimenting you could try to do:
Bleached Bone
Gryphonne Sepia
Devlan Mud

I find a lot of people put far to much trust into Badab Black. It's a nice wash but it carries a lot of issues with it for me when it comes to some colours and I think a lot of people tend to get locked in on one or two washes when they are all useful in their own way (specially the brown ones Gryphonne Sepia/Ogryn Flesh/Devland Mud).
Hmm...interesting way to go about it. I don't like Devlan Mud too much mainly because it leaves a grainy texture. Other than that though, I do know that different washes are useful in their own way. I'll try experimenting with it though. Thanks for the tips. :)

On a different note, as I'll be painting more often and need more money, do ppl think it would be okay for me to open up a commission type thing? As in my painting style and lvl. I know that it can improve and it will over more projects and such. I've been doing commissions for buddies for now and since we moved, that will be coming in to me and Drannith a bit less than it has been. Also since I'm close to Las Vegas, I was wondering if that would be a good customer base. Just let me know if I shouldn't. :biggrin:
Anywho, the next time I should be posting, I should be posting pictures of at least a half finished Rex.

·
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
So I can't find my camera first of all. I know that I brought it, but not too sure. Another thing is that I don't have any lighting source whatsoever to take pictures, so my phone wouldn't do. The first layering of the gold is done, so as soon as I make a trip to the dollar store and get a desk lamp at the very least, there won't be pictures, but Rex will be done soon. Another like 2-3 layers of different golds will be done and if I'm not mistaken, he will be done! See you all soon!

·
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
So after many months of being terribly busy, I finally have an update with pics for you all. Rex was done a couple of months ago, but I didn't have time to upload stuff even though I sit at the computer for forever. :) I took some really horrible pictures, so please bear with me. :) He also looks a lot better in person, so please understand that (as it always happens with models). I also went in and touched up a couple of the weird white spots that appear, but I don't know if it got more chaffed or whatnot during the shipping process. I think I do need to find a better way than just bubble wrap the models.
This model really did help me with trying out TMM and I think I'll do that in the future instead of NMM, though I am still going to attempt to learn NMM when I have time. >_<
Well, comments, critiques, anything accepted. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
WOOT! Finally...I was wondering what happend to you Arumi. So glad to see you posting again.

As for your model, I particularly like the power sword. The different hues of blue from dark to light on both sides of the power sword look good! His cape looks great as well, the transitions from dark in the recesses to lighter at the peaks of the cape are great!

The silver metalic parts of his armour could have done with just a little more shading in the groves and cracks. Other than that I think you did very well and I am happy to see you here posting again!

ohhhh....WTH happend to his base? :grin: And do you have anything else planned?

Regards,
DoE

·
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Thanks guys, it's been a long while and it's actually kind of weird being back. I feel like I have no right to comment on ppl's work. Hahaha!!! I'll get back to painting again sometime, but 2 jobs and kids over the holidays have kept me pretty busy.

nothing to add as im not that much of a painter, but im assuming the black lines are chips and not random black lines :p
Yes, the black lines are chips. I tried doing them with a micron pen rather than a fine paintbrush since it was better control for me and it seems it turned out pretty well. Though on hindsight I think I should have put a slight bit of silver over it to make it look more like a chip rather than black lines.

Thanks DoE. You have no idea how much I cursed at the sword doing it by hand. Lol. I am really thinking about picking up a paintbrush here pretty soon so that will become a lot easier and more consistant than it is right now.
Yeah I do agree with you on the silver parts, but that was after viewing the pics on the computer...months later...maybe only one month...but very very late hindsight. Hahaha! At least next time I'll know better, right? :biggrin:
As for the base, it's gone! JK. I let the "customer" aka our good friend do up his own base since he already has his own army and just wanted that to be consistant.

Hopefully I'll be painting more in the future, but I'll be traveling around the country next year for my job, so we will see what the future holds. I will definitely check heresy more often though. :)

101 - 114 of 114 Posts