Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently finished a little DKoK project for a client. :)

Grenadiers plus extra special weapons and Quartermaster:

Heavy Flamer:

Twin-Linked heavy stubber on the move:

Second Grenadiers squad:

Commissar:

Bit of an "army shot":

Twin-linked heavy stubber on the move (again):

Second Commissar, showcase-y this time (couldn't quite decide which pictures to post, so I'll just post all of them :p ):

"Look at my horse. My horse is amazing."

Hope like the pictures! C&C welcome.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
*looks at pictures*
:good:
*looks at paint desk*
:cray:

·
8,723 Posts
THIS!!!!!!!!!!! In particular the commissar on the white horse, makes me want to have an angry/bitter wank all over it! Great work!
Oh lord!
*gets umbrella out*

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Swede Marine: :biggrin: To be fair, each time I look into the thread I get the song stuck in my head as well. I guess it's like a rock eating contest: There just are no winners in this. ;)
@Tawa: Trust me, if you could see my desk (well, all the rubbish and models and bitz and paints are visible, but there must be a desk underneath there somewhere) you'd be much happier with yours. ;)
@Oldman78: YOU STAY THE HOLLYOAKS AWAY FROM THESE MODELS, you dirty old man! ;)

Thanks for the comments, guys!

·
8,723 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Oldman78: Layering, I calls it. :) Well, I went with a very white-ish base colour, especially on top and where light would reflect the most, painted on some more highlights, shaded where required (with inks and mixes of black and white and what ever else is required... and that's it really.

99% of my painting is this: Basecoat: layer, layer, layer, shade, layer, layer, final 'ping'. I don't know what other painters do that they can write "how to" articles without end and get applauded for it all the time. It's always the same thing. Always. If someone goes basecoat, zenithal, zenithal, filter and muddy up the whole damn thing with washes and whatnot that's the same thing again, they're just doing it a bit differently.

I think that some people (this isn't directed at you at all of course, just a general observation) nowadays watch WAY too many "how to paint X" videos. Sitting down, doing it usually leads to better, more unique and more satisfying results and spares them the kind of silly experience of being That Guy who posts all over facebook how he's got a new kind of miniature and it makes him curl up in terror and gnaw at this paintbrushes because he can't find an instructional video on how to paint the bloody thing even though he painted a billion other minis before. ;)

Anyway, sorry about my droning on about this. I hope I could give some insight into how I painted that horse in the first paragraph. :) Of course if I have to paint a unit of say 12 horsemen (like my Confederate cavalry) I'm using a more standardized approach (which usually includes starting with pretty bold brushstrokes for highlights and then go on from there), but especially on this Commissar on the white horse I really didn't think of how I did other horses, go back and look up recipes i used on those and replicate that. This is a showcase piece, so it's meant to be unique, so I just got started and painted until I found a look that's satisfying and which matched the idea I had in mind.

Of course in this I draw from experience from painting other horses in the past, that goes without saying. I think that painting is mostly experience, but above all it's sitting down and doing it. Maybe it's because I didn't learn from anybody and of course then there wasn't this huge internet community with all its tutorials available (at this point please imagine me pointing to a computer with a cane that's about as ancient as I am ;) ). Up to two years ago when I started painting workshops at events it was a VERY rare occurance for me to paint 'publically' or even see other people paint stuff face to face.

...and THIS is how I paint a whilte toy horse! ;)

@SonofVulkan: Thanks very much!
@Tawa: I'm sure that it's a big relief to us all that you can't. :D

·
8,723 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts