Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so had one of my young guys ask me this question today and it completely stumped me..

pg 59 AM codex crack shot order "pasks lemon russ can re roll amour pen or glances"

so thats pretty clear..
so the question was..
becuase of the rending rue and the d3..
he was shooting at a vindicator..kept the 6's reroll everything else..then rolled his d3 for rending and asked if he got to reroll the d3's..as for the rule above..

no to me i think yes he can as he IS NOT re rolling a re roll they are separate rolls,,but i cant find a clear answer..
can you guys correct me if im wrong cheers

·
Registered
773 Posts
Kinda a tough one BUT

In either case, against vehicles, each armour penetration roll of 6 allows a further D3 to be rolled, with the result added to the total. These hits are not resolved at AP2, but are instead resolved using the model/weapon’s AP value.
I would say it would either be.
1) The Rending additional D3 is just added to the result so you couldn't reroll the D3.
2) Otherwise if they choose to reroll then they would have to reroll the D6 after hoping for a 6 again to be able to roll that D3 again.

It seems kinda unclear to me, but I would say it would be the 2nd one as it is still part of the armour pen roll.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I would say the armor pen roll is different from the rending bonus roll. Reroll the armor pen trying to get 6s all you like, but I would still only take the D3 bonus for what it rolled the first time around.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I would say the armor pen roll is different from the rending bonus roll. Reroll the armor pen trying to get 6s all you like, but I would still only take the D3 bonus for what it rolled the first time around.
Same for me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
well the rending rule states you only get the D3 from a 6 its not a part of the armor pen roll, its only triggered off of it. sort of like a state based effect in magic the gathering. I would say No to rerolling the D3 as thats sort of powergaming but if its a friendly game with friends then you honestly can make your own homerules for that.

·
Registered
773 Posts
With the quote I put from the rulebook though it isn't actually saying that the additional D3 isn't still part of the armour penetration roll. What TBH it is still part of the on going roll to penetrate the vehicles armour.
As said that is my justification, so I think if they choose to reroll it they would need to reroll the d6 in hopes of getting another 6 to then be able to roll the further d3 to add to that roll (what TBH isn't that high a chance, and even if they do then its still possibly not a great chance of rolling better than you previously did).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts