Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say i have a 5 man command squad with a Chapter Master leading it. If the entire command squad other than the Master dies, can the Master revert back to being an independant character and join another unit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Short answer is yes he reverts back to independant status and may join and leave under the rules for special characters. The rule is listed in the space marine codex the page before the armory.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
It's also listed in the main rule book.
I don;t mean to be rude, but the answers to all of your recent questions so far have been readily available in the main rule book. Have you ever sat down and just read it cover to cover? Skip the fluff sections if you want, and a lot of it;ls just pictures. There's only about 80 pages of solid rules...it wouldn't take long.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I'm sure he read it; I still have questions myself that I should know to ask to this day. Maybe he knew the answer already and was just makin sure.

No questions are discouraged here, Xurce. :peace:

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Of course. As I said, I'm not trying to be rude, and questions are better asked than not, I was just trying to suggest that if, perhaps, he learned how to play from friends relating the rules verbally, or has only been able to borrow a book, it would be a good idea to try and find the time to study up on the subject.

I say that because that's how *I* learned, back in the day.
A friend of mine told me the rules, and I skimmed the main book a little, but I never actually read the core rules at first. As a result, I still don't have a 2nd edition core book ;-)

However, I got tired of having to ask and when 3rd edition came around I broke down and just bought myself the main book (actually, I bought the boxed set) and read it cover to cover. I did it again with 4th edition.

It's a bit like paying to do your homework, but it pays off in the end.

I don;t want to imply that asking questions is bad or anything. I'm just trying to stress that if you take them time to study the rules, you won;t have to ask as many questions and you can move on to nitpicking and rules lawyering instead ;-)

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
<coughs>
OXC, pop open your Space Marine dex, Chapter Master is a type of SM commander. It doesn't have to be one of the 'Masters of the chapter' models and it doesn't have to be Poppa Smurf

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's also listed in the main rule book.
I don;t mean to be rude, but the answers to all of your recent questions so far have been readily available in the main rule book. Have you ever sat down and just read it cover to cover? Skip the fluff sections if you want, and a lot of it;ls just pictures. There's only about 80 pages of solid rules...it wouldn't take long.

yeah i read the rule book cover to cover multiple times. I highlighted rules that i saw to be "abstract" and it appears i missed a few. To this date I have no idea where in that book it refers to the rules for krak grenades or about close combat weapons in that detail. Trust me ive been doing my research however again i havent played for 7 years and i dont have an army to play with atm because of the fact that i sold my unpainted black templars army back in the day. PS: i was 12 seven years ago and the rule were quite basic for me back then (ever weapon was treated as rapid fire, there was no assault phase, ect..)

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
yeah i read the rule book cover to cover multiple times. I highlighted rules that i saw to be "abstract" and it appears i missed a few. To this date I have no idea where in that book it refers to the rules for krak grenades or about close combat weapons in that detail. Trust me ive been doing my research however again i havent played for 7 years and i dont have an army to play with atm because of the fact that i sold my unpainted black templars army back in the day. PS: i was 12 seven years ago and the rule were quite basic for me back then (ever weapon was treated as rapid fire, there was no assault phase, ect..)
I know your pain, I recently came out of retirement. I poke my head out every edition for a while. 4th seems to have caught my attention though.

Sorry if I was speaking out of turn

·
Registered
5 Posts
I totally know how you feel on reading it cover to cover and still wondering WTF is going on. When I first started 40k, right at the beginning of 4th ed., I read and read, only to be baffeled. The best thing I've found with myself and other players is to read the book once or twice, then have it handy in a game. I kept wondering how some things would work in different situations. Such as consolidating. At first glance it didn't make sense when you consolidated or massacred. After it happened a few times I get it now.

·
Registered
538 Posts
best to read yourself. I usually end up teaching lots of players at gw as they go by what others tell them (who obviously didn't read the book) or they didn;t read it all either. yes,there are a couple grey areas but 99% is easy to learn. Granted they could re-write the rule book to be easier to comprehend and with better examples.
some questions in the forums are easily answered by just reading the rules and playing a couple beginner games at a gw store.
never hurts to ask q's but at least pick up the book and read it. get too many q's at gw store cause players are just lazy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts