I'm looking for your comparative analysis of these two options

290pts
Captain w. SS
Apothecary
4xVeteran w. SS
Option on a Razorback for more pts

280pts
7xTerminator SS/TH

So far I reason that the command squad has in theory 16 wounds and 19 attacks against the termies' 7 wounds and 14 attacks. Of course, the termie attacks are much, much stronger, and the termies have that 2+ save against things that don't bypass their armour. A flaw I've noted with the command squad is that everything you want the SS for will negate their FNP.

Thus, before I go doing conversions to make six shield carrying marines, can you offer any advice/observations/analysis about whether this is worthwhile? Has anyone played a command squad set up this way? What was it good/bad against?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a question: why do you compare at that particular points value, instead of at the more standard 200 or 400? it seems to me that right now the TH/SS would be a better investment, but when would you buy 7 th/ss termies? you'd buy either 5 or 10 and combat squad them. Furthermore, it seems like in the interest of getting them to be similarly pointed you haven't really optimized the command squad's kit. The nice thing you can do with the command squad is that you can customize them a lot, so you can get some power weapons, some power fists, and still have storm shields. The other thing is that you don't necessarily need the storm shields on all models, since as you said, things you want the storm shield against will bypass FNP. What I don't agree is in seeing that as a fault, since in my mind you'd want a 3++ especially when you're losing the FNP

all in all, it depends on what you want them to do, as well as how many points you have to spare, and what the rest of your army looks like. I jsut don't think it's a good idea to compare them like you did with a (seemingly) arbitrary point value in mind.

hope that helps,

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a question: why do you compare at that particular points value,
Partly because you can only fit 7+1 IC in terminator armour in a Crusader :) and partly because I was looking how this integrated with a core force I am trialling. Partly too because of the cost dictated by the Command squad.

Your question makes me think though, that the correct range to compare is ~320, i.e. 8xSS/TH termies vs. Command Squad as above with Razorback.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Here's the big diff... the first is HQ and the second elite... so one gives you the HQ choice... so it's a way to make that a stand alone unit... though it's expensive...

Personally, I would be more likely to run a big termie blob than the command squad... they just don't seem scary enough (most lists where you see them tends to be bike lists - where they're mobility makes them more of a threat)

However, one thing to consider... maxing out termies to go into a crusader can turn into a massive points sink... I have found that 5 should break just about anything... 7 feels like overkill...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts