Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum-peoples. I'm a new poster who's getting back into the hobby after a twenty-five year hiatus (you heard me). I'm a fan of the fluff and the aesthetic, but I'm not sure if I'll get into actually gaming, both for logistical and time constraints (lotta rules in them there books!). Still, I'd like to see about becoming the best model builder/painter I can be.

I am in the Chicago area, so we have all manner of options for not only GW stuff, but general modelling. Waaaay more than we ever had when I was growing up downstate in the 80's! Back then, my whole technique was pretty much limited to base colors and a bit of drybrushing. Now, I'm looking forward to trying out highlighting, washing, glazing, blending and even airbrushing perhaps.

I've got an extensive list of models I want to get around to making from pretty much every faction in the game. I'm planning to start off with Space Marines, Eldar and Tau, thinking that their large areas of primary color will make for good n00b fodder. I'd like to work up to doing more elaborate things, like some Thousand Sons or Death Korps or Dark Eldar.

If anyone has tips on secret gems to be uncovered in the Chicago area, please feel free to share them!

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Hey :)
Welcome to Heresy. You'll find plenty of knowledgeable people kicking around on here :so_happy:

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Welcome back to the hobby - Glad to have you with us!

In terms of trying out various techniques, I cover a few of the ones you mentioned in the tutorial for my Pink Horrors. You can find it here. There's layering (and how it's done) drybrushing and shading in the tutorial. You might not want to paint that specific model, but the techniques and tips can be used across other models and colors.

If you need any help or advice, feel free to either ask on the forum or in a PM to me personally if you prefer. I would gladly help you out a bit, until I have written some more tutorials :)

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, hope you like it, I'm into it for the same reasons as you. The problem is now becoming where do I put it all!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also worry about where to put it. My wife is supportive, but has asked that it not be all "in your face" in my nerd bunker, so I'll probably keep it stashed. I've seen some people who just enjoy the process who then trade the finished models for unfinished models, thus keeping costs and clutter low. If I get to a decent enough level, I might try that myself!

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Yeah I planned to do that. After spending so much time on the minis I really can't see that happening now!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They tend to become like your children, don't they? I actually lost close to a hundred minis from back in my youth, possibly in a move that was only three years ago! Twenty plus years of them sitting in my parents' basement, then in my storage area, and just before I decide to get back into them, they are gone. It's the hoarder's nightmare scenario.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts