Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Did I get that right? A SM combi-weapon can only fire its non-bolter weapon ONCE A GAME?!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello.

Did I get that right? A SM combi-weapon can only fire its non-bolter weapon ONCE A GAME?!
Yup you got it right only 1 shot with the special weapon per game (and while using the special weapon you cant shoot the bolter function). See SM dex pg. 97 under the header Combi-weapons.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nah, their a heck of a lot cheaper than the real thing and their situational in most games so a full wepon would be overpriced.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But 10(!) pts to fire a flamer, meltagun or plasma gun only ONCE in the entire game?
And only either bolter or special weapon in the same turn?

I think that's a bit too pricey.

5 pts would fit well. For 10 pts I would rather expect to chose between both weapons every turn (instead of once only).

OR maybe fire the special weapon once a game IN ADDITION to the bolter...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Combi weapons can be really useful, especially if you use them on sternguard. On just squad leaders they are a little bit wasted.

Their there to add alot of versitility, eg allow sternguard to combat hordes (flamers) or tanks (meltas)

Plus flamers and meltas only tend to fire about twice in a game anyway due to their short range so having a bolter helps while the squad advances

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, true!
But as you can see, the combi-weapons cost only 5 pts for sternguards.
That's pretty okay for my POV.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
You normally only fire a special weapon once or twice a game anyway (especially true fpr flamers), so only having 1 shot with a combi isnt really that much of a problem.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Combi-weapons on Sternguard are awumse. not only can they keep there special ammo but they are 5pts instead of 10. Everyone cna have one and you will oftne only need abotu 2 melta shots to take down most tanks.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The advantage of combi-weapons is best summed up in the old adage that 'It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it'.

With my Sisters of Battle I like to sprinkle combi-Flamers around to really get the most out of Divine Guidance (Basically, rending). I've also got good millage out of a combi-Plasmagun to deal with that MC or last Marine that simply will not die (and we've all been there...).

Combi-Meltas are very popular, since a lot of squads will only have one meltagun, and if that misses it's nice to have a plan-B.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Combi-Meltas are very popular, since a lot of squads will only have one meltagun, and if that misses it's nice to have a plan-B.
I my self run a Marine unit with a Meltagun, Multi-melta and Combi-melta sergeant(and fist if i can find the points). Just for the times when it's life or deaht that you take down that tank and it jsut wont pop. That saying i have had a Guard Vet squad fire all 4-6 meltaguns at my Redeemer and only stunded it.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I my self run a Marine unit with a Meltagun, Multi-melta and Combi-melta sergeant(and fist if i can find the points). Just for the times when it's life or deaht that you take down that tank and it jsut wont pop. That saying i have had a Guard Vet squad fire all 4-6 meltaguns at my Redeemer and only stunded it.
Yeah, have to agree with that- its also very useful to have combi weapons on any hammerblow unit that you need to have a large impact on the game quickly: whenever I used squads in drop pods and wanted them to combat drop (often had small underequipped troop units in even pods to come down late game to grab objectives) then I packed them with combis. If you know that I have a pod with a plasmagun, combi-plasma sgt and combi-plasma character then suddenly deployment and use of cover becomes incredibly important. I admit that my use of plasma was gradually changing to melta... but its the same idea: if I bring down a troops unit that can do 2 melta shots ona tank then I can vaguely rely on them to destroy it... if its just the 1 then its almost a waste of the unit's firing.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Chaos Termies with combi-meltas destroy Tau. Melt Crisis Suits and bust vehicles, plus the 12" range gets them inside the DPod!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts