Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, still new to 40k.

Secondly, I recently bought a Space Marine Chaplain off my friend, and I wish to give him a combi-melta. I don't have any combi-meltas in my box o' bitz, but I have several spare meltaguns that I won't mind cutting up and using in conversions.
My question is, My Chaplain has a Bolt Pistol as his primary weapon. If I was to cut the barrel off the meltagun (the bit you know is from a meltagun) and glued it onto the barrel of the bolt pistol, would I be allowed to use it as a combi-melta in games, or would I be forced to use it as a bolt pistol?
Also, If I AM allowed to use it's melta properties, would the "bolter" properties be in any way changed by the fact that it is based off a bolt PISTOL and not a boltGUN? As in, would the range of the bolter rounds be shortened due to the model?

Sorry for the long-winded question, but I couldn't think of a better way to word it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
well a combi melta is a bolter with a melta attached to it... but wont making a Combi-pistol look like a pistol with a massive silencer o.o?

i think as long as you clear it with your opponant your smei-conversion should be fine, it would still fire as a bolter (because combi melta is a bolter not a pistol) you could just use the excuse that his pistol is to 1337 for your your opponant

torny wise im not entirly sure

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
basically, anything YOU can make represent a combi-melta, is a combi-melta. so putting the barrel of a melta gun on the bolt pistol somehow, you could call it a combi-melta and it would be fine for all but the stiffest of asshats.

if its in friendly games, most places you can just SAY hes got a combi-melta and you would be fine. in tournaments and against ass hats is the only times WYSIWYG is truly important. (mainly because in most tournaments ass hats are abound in plenty)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I saw a custom conversion with a Boltgun in one hand, and a custom-shrunk melta in the other, with a Powersword strapped on the back. Looks rather badass.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I saw a custom conversion with a Boltgun in one hand, and a custom-shrunk melta in the other, with a Powersword strapped on the back. Looks rather badass.
If that powersword was a remake of William Wallace's Claymore I would of given the man one of my models for letting me play such a amazing model xD

really WYSIWYG is there for assholes to be assholes, for some people (including myself) they play the game for fun and as long as you remind them or tell them whenever they ask that Character X has weapon Y then you'll be fine

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
really WYSIWYG is there for assholes to be assholes, for some people (including myself) they play the game for fun and as long as you remind them or tell them whenever they ask that Character X has weapon Y then you'll be fine
Always kind of thought that WYSIWYG was pretty stupid. As long as there is someway to tell the difference between models, I have always taken my opponents word to what they are running.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Always kind of thought that WYSIWYG was pretty stupid. As long as there is someway to tell the difference between models, I have always taken my opponents word to what they are running.
Wysiwyg is a decent rule, for tournaments.

Wysiwyg, effectively, was origionally designed for 1 simple purpose: to make games go faster, and to keep the mouths shut of model ass hats who insist on Wysiwyg anyway even if it wasnt a rule. (IE: people who bitch when you have a flamer and say its a melta, kind of thing)

but mostly to make games go faster. dont you think its easier for an opponent to know what you have, and for you to know what you have for those of you who are forgetful if all you have to do is more or less look at the model? also keeps people from completely removing the wrong model and going dur where did the model go?

·
Registered
220 Posts
so yes, modify your gun and run it. most of us aren't leet at modeling, or painting, or even playing! we should all get our chance to apply ourselves the best we can and be recognized for it, even if we suck at it!

that's what my mom always told me anyway ;D

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
@ OP

either way you should post a pic of your Epicly pistoled chaplin after you convert him :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure. I'll do it when I get the time, perhaps tomorrow morning.:victory:

·
Registered
468 Posts
i used this but made it even cheaper by not including the side canister or the stormbolter clip, they look perfectly fine and cost me about 30p each.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
and winterous is one of those assholes who doesnt like proxies obvously! :p

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
So am I. Though that's not what makes me an asshole. It's more my penchant for not giving a shit about my fellow man.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm not too keen on proxies. I just got a really bad taste in my mouth from some absolutely confusing proxied armies. Ranging from the unit of armless Marines, unpainted and supposedly the guy with the little touch of red paint on his shoulder pad is the guy with the powerfist all the way to the army of bases and I'm suppose to remember random chips in the base, paint, or slips of coloured paper respresenting Monsterous Creatures, bikes, jump pack troops, CCW crazed units, Heavy Weapons units, etc etc.

It just took it's toll.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I'm not too keen on proxies. I just got a really bad taste in my mouth from some absolutely confusing proxied armies. Ranging from the unit of armless Marines, unpainted and supposedly the guy with the little touch of red paint on his shoulder pad is the guy with the powerfist all the way to the army of bases and I'm suppose to remember random chips in the base, paint, or slips of coloured paper respresenting Monsterous Creatures, bikes, jump pack troops, CCW crazed units, Heavy Weapons units, etc etc.

It just took it's toll.
Yeah, that'd suck.
Back when I used bases for a lot of my stuff, I always made it clear what was what; now I blu-tack models on top of them :>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The pics have arrived

Okay. At last I have got around to the conversion process, and the painting. Sorry for it being a bit late. You will also notice that He seems quite a rough job. I am not afraid to admit that I am not a fantastic painter. This is the first model I have ever highlighted, so don't expect Games Workshop standard. I also decided to leave his tabard black, because I am unable to mix an appropriate colour from what I have, I am, quite frankly, a massive noob.
So take a look, and don't despair about how such a fantastic model could go to waste at the hands of such an inexperienced painter. :whistle: Also notice that the base has not been painted, I will eventually paint it in a lava/magma style and make it look like charred rock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Consider strapping a Bolter to his back.
So he's holding his Melta pistol, thing, which only has enough fuel for a single shot.
And then he's got his Bolter, which he can not use very often :>
I would, but the jump pack is VERY bulky, I suppose I could hang it from his belt, but there is nowhere on the back for it to go unfortuneatly. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.