Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, on the spine of the Horus Heresy series each book has a little band of colour along the top - anyone know what it's for?

For example, the first three in the series had a dark red strip, but since then there have been several other colours, though mainly green. Nemesis, the new book has a green strip.

It must mean something... Any ideas?

:scratchhead:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very strange thing to do if it has no meaning IMO. They changed the metallic colours as well, but I thought that was due to a change in production at the time as there was no obvious reason for the change there.

Odd.

:scratchhead:

·
Registered
262 Posts
The answer lies somewhere in the understanding of 4 8 15 16 23 42 - I'm SURE of it :wink:

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
I would say they just use whatever color fits with the cover, but Baron has a logical-sounding explanation.
Baron's description was for the color of the words on the cover, not the color stripe on the spine of the book. That's really what's in question here.

CP

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry Commander, I opened a second front on the lettering... the answer there is credible, but still no plausible theory on the coloured strips.

I'm going to get back to Nemesis...

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
I always thought it was based around the legions that the story was based around. So, Decent of Angels and Fallen Angels, based around Dark Angels, then the stripe is green. Obviously, I haven't really checked, and I'm not in a posistion to check. So, if anyone could check for me, then I'd appreciate it.

Also, tell me if I'm wrong!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Apparently the BL have said it's just random...?
on BL's forum it was stated implicitly by one of the author's (I think it was McNeill about 2006 ish) that the colours had a meaning,
he went on to say that he wondered when it would be explained

·
Registered
142 Posts
ok, I was also wondering about this when I received Nemesis last saturday....my hope is on Commissar Ploss.

·
4,632 Posts
ok, I was also wondering about this when I received Nemesis last saturday....my hope is on Commissar Ploss.
i'll probably get something within the day. He wont be back into the office until monday, i assume. He's good with this kind of info. :) fingers crossed.

CP

·
4,632 Posts
here we go, final answer:

Me:

"Hey mate,

I had a question in regards to the Horus Heresy series. The colored bands on the spines of the books. What is the significance of those? or are they just random? thanks in advance. If you don't know, no big deal. :)"

Vince:
"Yes, they are random. Evidently a rumour started that there was some significance to them. The coloring of the titles however is planned. Gold is first edition, silver second and bronze third and subsequent"

Me:
"ah, i see. thanks for the information mate. I appreciate it. :)"

You're welcome everyone! :grin:

CP

1 - 20 of 53 Posts