Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have read through the rules and I am unsure on this, if I were for example to use a Tau Firebase Support Cadre could I use the Farsight Enclaves supplement with it and give the Riptide Earth Caste Pilot Array? :scratchhead:

So basically can you combine a supplement and a dataslate and how about if your main army is using that supplement will it affect the dataslate?

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
As far as I know, dataslates can be used with any combination of codixies and supplements. They do not act in the same way a supplement does, as you can use endless amounts of them with any given combination.

Where-as supplements have limits, dataslates do not, as they only offer one new thing (usually) per slate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But can you have a farsight enclaves firebase support cadre allied to your Eldar or a Iyanden Supplement Ghost Warriors allied to Dark Eldar? Because in the dataslates it references options from the main codex for customisation but makes no mention to supplements and supplements do the same.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Dataslates are "complete" documents and should contain all the rules you need to play those models. If they give you wargear options from the standard dex, but not the supplement then you cannot use the supplemental wargear.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Dataslates are "complete" documents and should contain all the rules you need to play those models. If they give you wargear options from the standard dex, but not the supplement then you cannot use the supplemental wargear.
That's one way to interpret it, but honestly I'd like to hear what the team who made them says over what we interpret them as.

EDIT: I posted the question and will screen cap their answer as soon as I have it and share it here.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Just paraphrasing what it states in the dataslates and datascrolls.

Here is the intro to one of the datascrolls (WFB...only one I have on my computer atm):

Battlescrolls allow you to add unique battlefield formations to your games of Warhammer. Each Battlescroll lists the units that make up the formation, and the special rules that apply to them in order to represent the fighting qualities that they possess. The following rules describe how you can use Battlescrolls in your games of Warhammer.

Games Workshop Ltd. Battlescroll - Restless Dead (Kindle Locations 4-6).
Pretty sure that my dataslates have something similar to that at the beginning.

Every dataslate/scroll I have purchased has complete rules for the units included and any wargear options inside.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
"Each datasheet will list the Faction it is part of. The Faction determines which codex the datasheet is considered part of for all rules purposes" Pg 2, Firebase support Cadre dataslate.

The Faction list on Tau Fire support base is "Codex: Tau Empire". You cannot choose it from "Farsight Enclaves", that's a different Faction.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Just paraphrasing what it states in the dataslates and datascrolls.

Here is the intro to one of the datascrolls (WFB...only one I have on my computer atm):

Pretty sure that my dataslates have something similar to that at the beginning.

Every dataslate/scroll I have purchased has complete rules for the units included and any wargear options inside.
In the case of some formations though you refer to the codex for certain rules and options to play the options. The question is if you can use wargear in a supplement over the standard wargear and have the formation still be legal. There isn't anything that specifies that (as far as I can remember at least) and the worst GW: DE can do is say "no" so asking them if that's an okay use of the formation.

EDIT:
"Each datasheet will list the Faction it is part of. The Faction determines which codex the datasheet is considered part of for all rules purposes" Pg 2, Firebase support Cadre dataslate.

The Faction list on Tau Fire support base is "Codex: Tau Empire". You cannot choose it from "Farsight Enclaves", that's a different Faction.
Supplements add rules to the codex though and are treated as being the same codex for things such as allies. We don't have anything that says that can't work that way for formations (yet).

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
It's not a supplement. A Dataslate is an independent "Add on" to the Faction listed. So you use the rules from that Faction Codex, not any other codex. That's my interpretation of it.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
It's not a supplement. A Dataslate is an independent "Add on" to the Faction listed. So you use the rules from that Faction Codex, not any other codex. That's my interpretation of it.
You've misunderstood what I was trying to say there. Codex Supplements are treated as being the same as the codex minus any specific things that is says that are different (such as artefact options). That's why they use the same allies charts instead of new ones and purchase units out of the same book.

Like I said, worse GW DE can do is tell the OP "no", and I think the team is more apt to answer questions about their dataslate and how they feel it should be used since they're the ones who make the dataslates, versus us so let's just hold off on the conjecture for now and wait for a response shall we?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have submitted this question to them:

I have a question, are the dataslates and codex supplements compatible. For example; would I be able to use the Earth Caste Pilot Array on my Riptide in a Firebase Support Cadre (as long as I gave the Broadsides the bonding knife ritual), or use the Iyanden rules on a Ghost Warriors dataslate, if you can could you use the Wraithknight as your warlord?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
In the same vein, can you field Cypher or Be'lakor with, say, the Crimson Slaughter? After all, they aren't exactly the C:CSM that the dataslates say can take such characters... (even though those characters cannot buy gear from the codexes, so it's a bit less fraught of a question)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
My take on it, for the Firebase Support Cadre, is a little simpler: It's not a codex. It therefore does not have access to signature systems, which are specific to a codex, be it Farsight or C:TE. Yes, they can take standard wargear upgrades, because that's what upgrades are for, but it is a Formation Detachment, not an Allied Detachment or Primary Detachment. Therefore, it's not technically an army to take Sig Systems/Relics/etc, unless it specifically states (such as the Legion of the Damned relic).

Similarly, the Ghost Warriors, being not an official Primary or Allied Detachment, can't be Warlord, even if they're Iyanden.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts