Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I realise I'm asking a question probably only I can answer but I wanted to appeal to people's experience,

Q: Should I paint a custom chapter or an established Codex?

This is my first army. I want a vanilla codex army (I know, yawn etc.), I have painted three tactical squads in a custom colour scheme but I am wondering if I should continue or choose a published chapter.

Q: Have any of you guys/girls finished a custom army and then wished you'd painted a recognisable one? Or vice versa?

Your thoughts are gladly appreciated,

David

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Once did a custom chapter my "flaming fists". But without any real set standards or colours and any kind of suport I found it hard to do anything good with them in the end I striped them ( and sold them but that's because I was getting out of marines). If you think you can do a good sceme going id say go.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If your just going to play as "vanilla marines" then paint them any way you want. Personally, I love seeing custom chapters on the board. If you have a good scheme that you like, then I say keep going. Their color, in the long run, doesnt matter. It's the codex that you use that matters. Just make it clear to your opponent that it's a custom chapter using the SM: Codex.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Keep going wi yer custom job. I run Space wolves, and love them, yet sometimes wish I had done a custom chapter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys.

I am happy with my scheme (which I'll post after the weekend) but I can't help looking at the pics in the codex and thinking WANT.

Hey, it's all practise isn't it? I'll likely finish a few a couple of thousand points and see if I still love my custom list.

(also I have a sneaking suspicion that Iron Hands are gonna get a touch of awesome in the new SM codex this year)

·
Registered
11 Posts
do a "custom codex" army. mine is a blood angel off-shoot. if you want to go that route, just find a codex you like, then get them a cool name and paint scheme. i even went so far as to make up the background story, home-system information, order of battle, and all that fun stuff.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Pro's of a custom chapter.
They are unique. Nobody else will have an army painted like it.
Marine Codex jumping. One week your army could be "counts as" Dark Angels, next week they could be "counts as" Space Wolves. Just make sure your opponent knows which Codex you are using.

Con's
They may lack identity. Your armies background will not be as well known or respected as a known Chapters.
Depending on your colour scheme, they may be mistaken for a known chapter. This can get annoying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts