Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, all.

I am curious to know what people think of the Codex, the units, the lore, everything.

Now the 'dex has been out for a couple of weeks, I am sure people have reached some form of conclusion.

Personally, whilst I cannot say I am disappointed with the codex, I am of the opinion that it is more a supplement book for both the Eldar races. Which isn't quite what I was hoping for.
A full army is possible, of course - but I see the formations more as extensions. A standalone Harlequin army would struggle to deal with certain things that are in the current meta... I can't quite understand why they couldn't have some form of AA version of the main vehicle, for example.

Your thoughts, people?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
i think that it is a perfect allied attachment more so for Dark eldar for the combo with the Raiders being better..

my only real issue is that once again Eldar have been given a rule set that breaks the mechanics of the game.

run shoot shoot run and now hit and run embark from combat.. i know maybe unlikely to happen but still why is it needed in the first place?

·
Registered
443 Posts
i think that it is a perfect allied attachment more so for Dark eldar for the combo with the Raiders being better..

my only real issue is that once again Eldar have been given a rule set that breaks the mechanics of the game.

run shoot shoot run and now hit and run embark from combat.. i know maybe unlikely to happen but still why is it needed in the first place?
I never liked that only Eldar can mess with standard organization of turns. While that can be argued as fluffy, it should have been dealt with in another way by simply allowing them to move longer distances,run 3+d6. .. well you get the idea.
Harlequins seem to be the glassiest of glass cannons. I had a skim of friends codex and there are good options but there doesn't seem to be any heavy support or expandable troops.
However the army can always burrow things from their Eldar kin so niches can be supplemented.
I would imagine the army runs like Deathwing, very elite, maybe not as expensive but has to be played with tactical precision of a surgeon with very small margin for error and bad dice.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

you are forgetting the first rule of eldar, which is the rules dont apply to them because they are better than you

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I like them for one reason: Faolchu's Blade.

More specifically, Skyweavers look great as CC bikes and I feel can compete or beat Shining Spears, and the Blade Formation lets me throw them in an Eldar bike list. Voidweavers even look pretty decent, as a superior (if maybe shorter range) Vyper. Don't hold a candle to Hornets, but that's FW for ya.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
rules yes..but game mechanics? can any other army run and shoot? or embark in combat?
but yes you are right which rule to break
Harlequins can only get the embark during with a formation, and only Craft World Eldar have the Battle Focus rule (a rule they quite frankly needed because as an army they weren't that impressive for a while, and it's a rule that's well balanced. Also Eldar used to be the only army that could run (original fleet), so breaking the shooting phase to be an army of fast, fragile models is their "thing").

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
can any other army run and shoot?
I believe one of the Militarum orders allows them to either shoot and then make a run move, or run and shoot.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
yes but that has a chance of failure..
You asked if others could do it, not if they could do it with 100% certainty. Just because harlies can do it does not mean every situation warrants them doing it.

So what your saying is harlies are just doing what others do but better....
That looks to be the size of it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I need to take some more time to play with the new rules, but I have about a 1/2 dozen games in and so far the army plays like it has over the years. Fast, nimble, hits like a ton of bricks, but cannot win a sustained war of attrition.

Multiple Death Jesters and Shadowseers are the key players in providing the real tricks for the army.

As for the lore and look of the codex. It was a good read and the expansion of the Harlequin lore in the different paths was a nice addition to the older lore.

So far I am liking the look and feel of it, it seems to be a more robust codex than most of the other "mini"-dexes and they are going to make great allies to the eldar factions. Some more time to comb through it and practice is needed to form more permanent opinions on the power level and such.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
rules yes..but game mechanics? can any other army run and shoot? or embark in combat?
Tyranids and Space Marines basically ignore the way morale and rallying work respectively (and Daemons pretty much exchange it for a whole other system). Space Marines and their ilk ignore the way units bought for the army work, with Combat Squads, and are basically the only army (along with GK, who are close enough to be the same thing) that can bring Reserves in on the first turn. Necrons ignore the rule that you may only use your best save (technically, anyone can do this with FnP, but FnP is easily negated in many cases and no other army can bring it, unconditionally, on every model for every turn of the game). Imperial Guard ignore the way the FOC works with almost everything in their army coming in as a Platoon or at least a squadron. Dark Eldar have a lot of fixed To Wound rolls that ignore the S/T comparison chart mechanic.

Harlequins do horrible, horribly leadership shenanigans where they can kill a guy and get his squad to run off an objective, or cause horrendous amounts of damage by deep striking in a Raider with a Webway Portal, the Mask of Secrets and the Armour of Misery or getting some Horrify from Warlocks and then casting Laugh of Sorrows, Terrify, Psychic Shriek etc., but they don't really stand up as their own army being a very fragile, very expensive melee force. Can make a great detachment to add to a DE or Eldar force, but not to be considered viable alone, I think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts