Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**Warning - some minor spoilers for the novel Warriors of Ultramar below**

I'm reading Warriors of Ultramar again, and something jumped out at me the other night. Right after they detonated the first refinery to destroy a hive ship, and the Inquisitor had the planet nuked anyways, there was a confrontation between Uriel and the Mortifactor Chaplain.

Uriel had just bitch-slapped the Mortifactor, and the Deathwatch Captain was holding a knife to Uriel's throat, when Tiberius, an Ultramarine, intervened. He said something to the effect of:

We are all servants of the God-Emperor

Sorry, I'm paraphrasing from memory here.

I seem to recall reading that Codex Chapters didn't hold to the Cult of the Emperor, but still followed the Imperial Creed (ie, the Emperor is not a God, just a badass). Am I mistaken here? Is the Cult/Creed preference tied to a Chapter's adherence to the Codex, or is it just a belief that varies from Chapter to Chapter?

·
Registered
304 Posts
When was the book written? they only stopped looking at him as a god after 5th edition hit so if it was written before then then you have your answer.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When was the book written? they only stopped looking at him as a god after 5th edition hit so if it was written before then then you have your answer.
It was published in 2003. I believe the 5th edition was published in 2008, so I guess that answers that question.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I heard it mentioned in the 4th ed that every chapter views the emp differently, but most view him as a truly amazing super human that created their fathers,primarchs.

EDIT: As always the baron delivers.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I seem to remember this coming up soon after I joined Heresy, it was something that I believed as well for quite a while.
Far be it for me to question Baron Spikey but the general consensus was that Space Marines do worship the Emperor as much as anyone else in the Imperium. It does seem to be a fan opinion that has somehow taken root and is now considered fact.
Again, I could be wrong but from what I've seen and read it does seem to be the case.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
According to the Codexes they revere him as the Master of Mankind, the Primogenitor of the Astartes and the most perfect being to have ever lived but not a God- it's explicitly stated that there is some friction between the Astartes and Ministorum because of this and that the Rosarius given to the Space Marine Chaplaincy is a paper thin attempt to disguise this animosity.

Please feel free to question me, I've never said I'm infallible (or in fact that I'm a 'Fluff Lord'), I know a lot but I don't know any where near everything.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
If I aint totally mistaken up my ass, then I would say that every chapter has their own variation of the religion. Some chapters might regard him as a god, other might regard him as a kick ass grandfather...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Apparently the White Consuls revere him as a God, and this is noted as being unusual.No doubt they're not alone, but the majority of the Chapters view him as he asked to be viewed back in the Heresy days. Hypno-induction and indoctrination overwrites previous beliefs so the Chapters have had very little outside influence tainting their dogma over even ten millenia.

It's an oversight, I'm afraid. Like mentions of the Guard or Navy in a few HH books. You could hand-wave it by saying they've picked up the world by talking to too many non-SMs, but I'm prety certain Ultramarines do not worship the Emperor or view him as an actual deity.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
The Black Templars, certainly, are a chapter one should consider as being at the deeper end of the pool. Or if you really prefer, off the deep end.

It's something that has been embarrassingly sloppily dealt with, as I see it. What can you say, though... (besides: "Shout! Shout! Let it all out! These are the things we could do without!")

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm of the opinion that it varies not only from chapter to chapter, but also from reader/writer to reader/writer. Each individual will interpret the actions of Space Marines in their devotion to the Emperor differently.

Even so, some chapters, like (as Mossy Toes mentions) the Black Templars, or perhaps the Dark Angels, are certainly more of the religious bent, while the Ultramarines or Imperial Fists are of a more lord-and-servant viewpoint. In either case, it can certainly be said that any loyal Astartes will have the utmost devotion to the Emperor as a warrior-servant.

Even so, the zeal with which Space Marines are loyal make them susceptible to a religious viewpoint. It's a major reason so many turned to the gods of Chaos during the Horus Heresy and for millenia after. Devotion and zeal are a double-edged blade.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think sometimes a reference to the 'God-Emperor' might, sometimes, be a way of talking about the temporal power of the Golden Throne. Maybe that particular Astartes has a different take on things, feeling that the Emperor is too powerful to be talked about in any other way and that any differences between Astartes pale into nothing beside the mission that the Emperor tasked them with.

GFP

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the best way to describe the SM's interpretation of the Imperial Cult is Ancestor Worship. I've heard it mentioned a few times in various BL books. The gist of it is that Space Marines venerate their Primarch and the Emperor for creating them, but do not view them as gods. I also doubt the SM worship the various Imperial Saints. Again like a few others have stated this fluctuates from chapter to chapter. A First Founding chapter is more likely to view and emp and the primarchs as their gene fathers and not gods, mainly because the chapter's history dates back to the time when the emp and his sons were still walking around. Now a later founding chapter who's linage is in question would seem more likely to worship the emp because they really don't know their own history or anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts