Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well, it greatly depends on how you spec your army. I guess that both Chaos and regular Marines, Orks and Tyranids all are very durable on close combat.

In the case of my own army, all the squads are durable close cobat units, and they deal with heavy armour with some good old power fists, as well as some effective fire support units. And also, my anti-tank Ravenwing are every crewman's worst nightmare.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Close combat? The Tyranids are good there, take them in mass swarms with Zoanthropes and Carnifexes to deal with heavy armour. Or, take a Chaos army geared towards Khorne and mechanise them. You could use Marines with the mark of Khorne. Even better, build a Chaos World Eaters army using Khorne Beserkers. Include Land Raiders or Obliterators to deal with heavy armour.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
123 Posts
the best close combat unit is a unit of 10 chaos termies, with a icon of khorne and 10 dual lightning claws. for armor change the lightning claws with chain fists and combi meltas

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
It all depends... most armies have their own Uber close combat units.. as an army probably the best close combat army is Grey Knights.. to deal with armor they can take Melta Bombs, Land Raiders, Land Raider Crusaders, Dreadnoughts, Thunder Hammers on their Terminators, or they can call in some Storm Troopers with Meltas.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Grey Knight Termies with a Grand Master and lots of expensive goodies can really P'wn folks' Uberpwnage units.

-Dirge

·
Registered
66 Posts
there are many hand to hand forces, what you need to do is decide what the second attribute of the army you want.
there's hoard - orcs
there's elite - Grey knights
there's mid ground - Chaos
There's both extremes - Tyrnids
then there's weird - Guard
most of the rest have specialized units good at CC but overall use a diffrent approach.

If your unsure chaos is a good start, good at CC with plenty of options for specialization and even enough for fire support. Plus fewer models to paint.

·
Registered
177 Posts
my khorne berzerker squads have at least 2 plasma pistols which are decent against heavy armour

and zherkers are mean in CC i mean 4 attacks on the charge

·
Registered
129 Posts
Another army to consider for Hand to Hand is Kroot Mercenaries. I think they strike a pretty good balance between Tyranids and Space Marines, and the sheer number of attacks they can throw out is pretty awesome, considering how cheap they are. For dealing with armor, some strategicly placed Eviscerators (Power Fists) and Meltas will work, as will Greater Gnarlocs if it comes down to it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
PURE KHORNE PURE KHORNE!!!!!!!!!!

KILL FOR THE BLOOD!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
You also forget the fastest army not only in close combat but getting into close combat: Dark Eldar.

With 32" charges and initiatives at a minimum of 5, we strike first.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
32" charges?? how the heck do yall manage that??

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't care what y'all say, I love me some Ogryn.

Ok, that came out wrong.

In any event, I've been trying them out and they've been working for me against Space Marines.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For Assault if you want marines take Blood Angels. Assault Marines as a troop choice and 1 free death company marine for each squad. The death company have rending attacks and feel no pain and furious charge so that should tear anything up in CC (well maybe not genestealers) If you dont like red marines take nids with lotsa genestealers + carnifex.

·
Registered
227 Posts
32" charges?? how the heck do yall manage that??
Simple, we have open-topped fast skimmer transports(albeit with the armour of tissue paper)
So we move 12", disembark 2", Fleet 6", Charge 12"(combat drugs) and we are where we love to be :grin:

and we beat Blood Angels in close combat 9 out of 10 times :wink:

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
A single archon will take the grandmaster and his retinue on and win.
HAH! In your dreams maybe. First off that retinue of Termies can take a Psycannon as well as the Grand master can take one. Thats upto 6 Str 6 shots at upto 36" 3 of which will hit on a 2+ and all of which will wound on 2+ and will deny you any Invulnerable save what so ever including your precious shadow field and at AP4 will deny you your regular saves as well. Your shadow field cant save you from a squads worth of Str 6 Power Weapons in HtH. A single wound from the Psycannon OR the Grey Knights Nemisis Force Weapons will cause Instant Death on your flimsy Archon. Heck a REGULAR Grey Knight can splatter your Archon just as easy as the Termies can. Archon *yawn*. Not to be mean or anything but theres a reason the DE codex is being re-written other than that its just plain old.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Uh... for over all effectiveness I dont think anyone can beat the orks in close.

Yeah there are other woobier HtH guys but for the points your basic everyday green grunt is by far the best brawler in the game. New or old codex. They will just bury you under a green tide.

Numbers - the orks do this better than anyone else and at T4 can take some abuse.

4 attacks on the charge for the normal ork boy and you can take some obnoxiously large squads. Going to feel that one.

Ante vehicle - up to 4 rokits in every squad (Nob can take one), Power Klaw for the nob, burnas do OK on vehicles (2d6 + 3)

Old codex - the choppa! makes marines cry

New codex - 6 point boyz makes everyone cry

I can lose over 2/3 an ork army in the first 2 turns and still win as the orks tear into things in the final couple of turns.

Just my humble opinion.

Yoj

·
Registered
227 Posts
Lol...You talk about the psycannon like you'll get a shot. Unless you have a C'tan blade, pft, no chance in CC buddy.

I hope to see you in the Vassal tournament :wink:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts