Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had this situation come up and was curious about the rules:

Force X with ICX (Independent Character X) faces off against Force Y with ICY (Independent Character Y) in close combat. My opponent X said that after my Y initiative 3 guys assaulted that I couldn’t attack with ICY because he was no longer in contact with any of his pieces. So ICY didn’t get to attack.

Additionally he stated that since ICX which was in coherency with force X, was not in base contact anymore that it could not be hurt by my Y troop attacks. I killed all his troops and had 4 attacks overflow which he stated could not hit his ICX.

ICX...X....X Y (Initiative 3)
.............X Y (Initiative 3)
.............X Y (Initiative 3)
.............X ICY (Initiative 1)

ICX............Y
................Y
................Y
................ICY

I’m curious about how this should have turned out.

-Christopher

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Uh, rather than X and Y, let's pretend that you have 10 Guardsmen with an attached Commissar Lord with a Power Fist. Your opponent has 5 marines with an attached Captain.

Assume that somehow the Marines and Captain fail to kill anything with their attacks at Initiative 4 and 5 respectively. Actually according to your diagram above, the Captain wouldn't even be able to attack, because he is not in base contact with ANY enemy models.

You choose to allocate all of the Guardsmen attacks against the squad of Marines, instead of the Captain (you have to choose one or the other) and you cause, say, 8 wounds with all of your attacks. He then allocates these wounds exactly like shooting, so 1 wound each on two members of the squad, and 2 wounds each on the remaining 3 (assuming that they have different wargear). He then takes his armour saves and manages to fail all of them, killing all 5 marines. The Captain is untouched by this, because he is not part of the squad, and therefore had no wounds assigned to him.

After removing the Marine Squad members, if the Commissar (striking at Initiative 1 due to the power fist) is NOT in base to base contact with the Captain, he cannot make any attacks at all, because he is not in contact with any enemy models by the time he starts swinging.

However due to the fact that you won the combat, you can then move any participating models up to 6" in order to get into base to base contact with an enemy model, so NEXT combat round, your Power Fist will get to strike (assuming the Captain doesn't allocate all of his attacks at your Commissar and kills him before he can strike, or that your Guardsmen don't kill the Captain).

Does that help? Basically, in combats, Independant Characters count as totally seperate units for the purposes of allocating attacks, rolling to hit, rolling to wound and armour saves. They then count as part of their unit again when the time comes to make Leadership tests after all attacks have been resolved.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
page 35 BRB

"Working out which models are engaged in combat is done at the start of the fight, and will not change until its end..."

so as long as your model is engaged in combat, following the normal rules, than he will fight regardless if there is no model in base contact

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
page 35 BRB

"Working out which models are engaged in combat is done at the start of the fight, and will not change until its end..."

so as long as your model is engaged in combat, following the normal rules, than he will fight regardless if there is no model in base contact
Yes, that is correct, however the unit that ICY was in combat with (unit x) had all been killed. ICX wasn't in combat, as he's treated differently from unit X for working out attacks, and so couldn't be attacked by ICY (or unit y) no matter what. As such, ICY couldn't attack in this particular situation. If there was any of unit X left (no matter where he was) then ICY could attack unit X, but he could not attack ICX.

At any rate, ICY would then have to make a LD check, or ,if he was fearless, take wounds, which usually should do a bit of damage to him.

Hope that all helps somewhat :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts