Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a cityscape board for our games club, the board is currently 6x4 and I have made it into modular 2x2 sections.

Our existing boards are flat and supportive so all I have to do is make the scenic terrain to go on top, here are the initial panels marked out and cut.

They all fit together in any orientation, I have to give credit to Lord of Petropolis' project for the idea of diagonal roads, as our modular terrain is on 2x2 squares I decided to stick with it and expand to fully rotatable modular terrain.

The next stage was to build up some paths, this was to hold the buildings in place (which will be on base boards to fit) when placed on the board - they also give some definition to the roads.

For this I have used cork floor boards, I will distress some of the edges as I build up the texture on the roads so that they have a ruined look.

I intend to use about a 25%/75% mix of CoD buildings cut with foamboard and have some ruined and some semi-intact buildings.
So far I have bought the basilica and manufactorium to take a look at what parts are in them - I am very pleased to see what I have avaiable and look forward to starting on the buildings - but first I need to finish the base boards.

The next stage will be to add rubble to the roads, add some texture and paint the boards. I will post pictures when there is something to look at.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A quick update, I have started on the details of the board.

Some roads are now cracked open, a few blast craters and ruptured roads.

I now have the materials for making my rubble piles and road surfaces so once I have finished smoothing in the raised roads so that they look like they are just bent upwards and have finished the craters then I will surface the roads and add rubble piles.

Hopefully will have another update before the weekend is over, it depends on how long I spend making Island of Blood rats.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bit of progress in between rat painting, I have textured the T-section with rough grade sand (Which I dried in the oven). Before this I smoothed the broken up roads at the point they joined the base road - this gives the effect of the road rupturing and rising up.

The rough grade sand has a lot more large pieces in than expected, so the roads will be more covered in debris - but I am happy with the effect.

Next step is to mix up some rubble mix and build up piles of it on the road in places, that and texture the other 5 tiles.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
For your buildings I would consider using polystyrene ceiling tiles as opposed to foamboard.

Make your wall elevation template as usual.
Take the ceiling tile you will use for a side wall. Cut a very rough diagonal from corner to corner. Try to make this "blocky", you know like stonework. You should now have two "triangles" of polystyrene.
Attach one of these "triangles" with bulldog clips, quick clamps or whatever you have to the template with the right angle of the "triangle" to the bottom corner of your wall template and with the textured side of the tile touching the template.
Now, poke holes through the polystyrene where you have enclosed windows or doors in your template, obviously if the opening is on your diagonal you don't need to do this bit.
If you are cutting an enclosed hole, undo the wire of a Hot Wire Cutter and pass it through the hole, then re-attach it.
Now run the hot wire around the inside of the hole. Instant window or door.
Undo the wire and repeat as neccessary.

I find that where walls are going to join each other it is best to run the Hot Wire Cutter down the polystyrene while it is still attached to the template and create a 45 degree angle. When you fix them together it looks a lot better than overlapping them. This will also mean that when assembled the textured sides of the tiles will form the outer walls of your ruins.

Now but two walls up to each other and use tile adhesive liberally down the join. Add a floor or two at this point. The floors make the building much sturdier.

Adding floors is a cinch. Cut a right angle triangle again, Measure the height of the floor on the wall and glue the floor into place.
I usually add small offcuts of polystyrene where the underneath of the floor adjoins the wall as a strenghthening batten. They're pretty much invisible seeing as your viewpoint will normally be from above.

All the rest of the offcuts make for terrific mounds of debris.

Now seal the polystyrene with PVA.

Don't use spray paint unless you've sealed the polystyrene! It will melt!

I hope that you find this of use. Cheers for sticking with it.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice ideas, I will try some out on a few buildings.

My first building is half made and looks just how I wanted the city to pan out, I will hopefully be getting more PVA glue tonite for a weekend of tile texturing.

If I can cut straight then I will also make up the blanks for the bases to the buildings - having made one building so far I have seen how flimsy they are without a solid base - so wont even mock them up before I have cut the boads.

If all goes to plan I will have some pictures up later today or tommorow of the mess I have made of our lounge - If not then I have been killed by my wife.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few pics to prove I am doing something, there has been a lot of progress since last night when these pics were taken:

[The mess]

Edit: the section in the bottom left has some rubble piles built, I will give a tutorial on making these as I have found a simple and effective technique which seems to make very pleasing results

[The sand I have been cooking in the oven to dry out]

[A building WIP checking how the roads look when surrounded]

More updates later before I go out for the evening...

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finishing up and clearing up sadly took priority this weekend over taking pictures, I have made a whole load of progress and am at the stage of spraying everything black and then drybrushing.

I will try to get time to spread them out on the floor this week and take some more WIP photos.

I have also cut all of the base boards for the buildings - this was actually the messiest part - wood dust everywhere.

·
Registered
72 Posts
well now. At last I found your thread.. hehe. Your work seems really promising. The texture on the roads is made so realistic. What I may suggest, is to make a higher level, with styrofoam, and then break it, so that to make some sewers e.t.c. (I'd do the same if the city I make right now, was static). Waiting to see more of this project!!!

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I started on the drybrushing for the roads, this is taking way more time than I had ever imagined - but also looks better than I had ever hoped.

A few WIP shots of the road I started, much more work to do on this and some detailing both painting and other details. I have found some suitable plastic with which to make shattered glass as I thought this would certainly be littering the streets.

Other details to come, and of course the endless drybrushing, and then maybe even some buildings :D

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Excellent results so far. I really must get back into my scenary making, but so few games at home make it seem pointless.

But back to your progress. The paint job and the water look really effective. I missed where you painted the water. How did you do it? Its very effective. Cant wait to see the whole street layout painted.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The water was just a scorched brown coat, then bestial brown drybrushing (not for texture but to get a varied patchy look) then some dark angels green drubrush to give the effect of algal growth.
I intend to use some 'ardcoat to give it a wattery look then maybe add some inks to the wet 'ardcoat for an oily sheen.

The rest is all drybrush work, I can see a lot of paint being used and hours of tv being watched while I do it :p

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So here are some pics of the first road section completed (bar some tidying up of the black paint on the building region)

I have finished drybrushing it and painted the pipes in the cracked road, I also ardcoated the stagnant water.

All except the special tile (imperial building one to be made later) are sprayed black, so next up will be another dybrushed road - hopefully I will finish a tile tommorow night.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I really like how the road rises up out of the street and the polluted puddle is excellent (+rep). I took a look at the thread that gave you the inspiration for the diagonal roads and I think you are doing a sterling job of making your own version here. Look forward to seeing more for my own inspiration. I will follow this.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks piemaster, I was pleased with the effect, part way through I wasnt sure but after the spray paint it made it come together.

Work today and last night was mostly on getting some shells of buildings together so we can try the board out at our games club on Sunday.

The gaps left are for CoD pieces once I have gone out and bought the kits, they will also be much more detailed once finished but I am happy with the general layout of each building.

One has a huge hole through which will be made to look like a large orbital lance weapon has blasted it, the other has two large cracks through it.

There is also a town square piece which will have a gothic fountain, and a few smaller rubble pieces (not pictured) to give some low cover.

Tommorow is a club day so I will not get much done - but will get a chance to test out how the cover from each building plays out, I will also get some feedback from those who will eventually be using the terrain set.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Deimos thanks for the the comments, I will be trying to document a few of the techniques I have used, first I want to repeat the process on a few pieces of the terrain to perfect it and get a better idea of exactly what I am doing.

If there are any other bits of the terrain modelling anyone would like instructions on then please do ask - once completed I would like to have not only the WIP photos and the final finsihed shots but a few tutorials on making similar terrain.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.