Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today I had the "pleasure" of picking up my first and second citadel finecast figs. How do people work with these? My glue (citadel brand) doesn't stick to them, plus they are COVERED in tiny little nubs that have been a pain to remove. And they seem to break/bend really easily. Any tips? What glue works on them?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Ok, here is a quick run down.

Hot water will bend them back into place if they're warped.
Use a scraping tool to smooth out places where you've removed those mold nubs.
Scalpel typically works best, IMHO, to remove very annoying flash in hard to reach places.
Keep liquid Green Stuff on hand to fill in bubbles and gaps in the cast.
Glue with Super Glue.
Also, it doesn't hurt to give the model a short bath in warm soapy water and gently scrub any mold release that may still be on it.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Forgeworld has this guide here that is very useful.
In my experience with it, Forge World resin is absolutely a different animal to Finecast. It doesn't need washing, for starters - just clip it off the sprue, take off any flash or mould lines with a scalpel or modelling knife (rather than filing, which isn't good for resin), stick it with superglue. Forge World resin is a horrible, horribly substance to work with; Finecast is just not as brilliant as plastic.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
It doesn't need washing, for starters
I have had more consistent applications of primer on washed models than on ones I just clipped and sprayed.

just clip it off the sprue, take off any flash or mould lines with a scalpel or modelling knife (rather than filing, which isn't good for resin)
I've filed almost all of my Finecast models, as invariably some of their mould lines were god damned hideous. Frequently I've even used a GS/Apoxie mix over spots then filed them down to a smooth finish after the putty's cured so that I get a real true finish without potentially gouging into the model.

stick it with superglue
This is in the guide.

It's fortunate that you've not had to treat your Finecast the same way you've had to treat your Forgeworld stuff. Not all of us have apparently been as lucky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts