Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've reached the point of frustration with buying brushes at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. I use the brush for about a month, if that long, taking care to clean them after each session and I'm still ending up with a brush that looks like it was repeatedly jabbed into a table top and its hairs splayed in every direction. I've tried using The Masters soap to reform the point and its just no luck. So, I've decided to invest in a couple of the Citadel brushes, assuming they're nor the same synthetic hairs as I've been buying for 2+ years... I don't think they are, but, I could be wrong. I'd really like to hear from users on here, as to the experience and quality of the brushes themselves. A couple of reviews I've read seem to indicate they are a quality product

Please, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I use two Citadel brushes; detail and fine detail. I bought these in 2009 and they still look and paint like they did the day I bought them.

Massively impressed and would definitely recommend investing in them :so_happy:

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
GW brushes are the only hobby tool from them I recommend, I've been using army painter ones at the moment when I lost mine during a house move, and they are shit, beyond shit to be honest, they split like crazy, but I never had an issue with my GW one

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
I had my citadel brushes for about 5years and have only just had to replace the detail and fine detail brushes as they eventually splayed, a quick trim and now I have a detailed and fine detail drybrush

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Windsor and Newton series 7 is the be-all and end-all when it comes to brushes
If only the local places had some. Most Hobby Lobby and Michael's have a large rack that display the entire stock and most brushes look like total crap from people messing with them.

At this juncture, I'm buying the Citadel brushes. I can at least buy the Citadel today without having to wait on a mail order, which is what I'd probably have to do for any other brushes like the W&N 7 or the Raphael brushes I've heard about.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If only the local places had some. Most Hobby Lobby and Michael's have a large rack that display the entire stock and most brushes look like total crap from people messing with them.

At this juncture, I'm buying the Citadel brushes. I can at least buy the Citadel today without having to wait on a mail order, which is what I'd probably have to do for any other brushes like the W&N 7 or the Raphael brushes I've heard about.
Raphael 8404 Kolinsky Sable Brush is what I use at the moment; I can highly recommend them. Been using two of these as my main brushes for the better part of 6 months and they still look like new and have great paint flow. Maybe a brand to keep in mind for when you feel like buying new stuff down the line :)

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Raphael 8404 Kolinsky Sable Brush is what I use at the moment; I can highly recommend them. Been using two of these as my main brushes for the better part of 6 months and they still look like new and have great paint flow. Maybe a brand to keep in mind for when you feel like buying new stuff down the line :)
I definitely will.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Raphael 8404 or Winsor and Newton series 7 and yes you can notice an improvement on your painting if you're a decent painter.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Windsor & Newton are your friends. Even if it doesn't make you a better painter, the things last forever if you take care of them. A well cared for Citadel brush still lasts like... who knows. A month or two if you're lucky? I have W&N brushes that are going on two years old now and are as good as the day I bought 'em. It's a better investment-- you spend less on brushes by just buying the better ones initially and taking care of 'em.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Before you spend too much on brushes it sounds like you need to clean your brushes better?

I had similar problems until it was pointed out to me that I needed to keep paint out of the ferrule.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
The FLGS recommended the Citadel brushes as being a good product, the only thing that stopped me buying one was the super detail brush not looking like it had a small enough tip. I picked up a Tamiya Modelling Brush (item87019) and so far it's been great.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I still have a number of my red handle brushes from GW that I got in the mid-late 90's.

I had similar problems until it was pointed out to me that I needed to keep paint out of the ferrule.
This is important for any brush. I'm absolutely sure there's better brushes out there for bristle quality and tip compared to GW's, but if you clean your brushes properly (always using cold water) and keep it moist constantly while in use there's no reason they should be dying so quickly. Unless they are total and utter crap... I've had duds before.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Before you spend too much on brushes it sounds like you need to clean your brushes better?

Brush care is important but the amount of painting you do will also have a huge effect on the lifetime of a brush. I average an 1850-point army a month. Sometimes more. Citadel brushes aren't designed for that volume of work. They just wear out. Windsor & Newton can hold up to that volume of work and still be as good as the day you got 'em.

The thing about small brushes-- the assorted fine detail things and whatnot-- is that it's harder to maintain the point on those than it is to just use the same sharp point you get on a larger brush. I don't paint with anything smaller than a 00, and even then I very rarely use it-- I'd say 90% of my painting is done with a 1. As long as you keep the point sharp and take care of the brush, there's nothing you can do with a tiny brush that's hard to take care of that you can't do just as well with a larger brush's point. All comes down to quality of the tools and how well you take care of 'em.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Windsor & Newton are your friends. Even if it doesn't make you a better painter, the things last forever if you take care of them. A well cared for Citadel brush still lasts like... who knows. A month or two if you're lucky? I have W&N brushes that are going on two years old now and are as good as the day I bought 'em. It's a better investment-- you spend less on brushes by just buying the better ones initially and taking care of 'em.
GW brush lasting a month or two?, try years and times that by 2, they really are the only decent thing they do, my standard brush is still going, and I treat that brush like shit, its the only sucker I didn't lose

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I'm going to second Matcap on Sable brushes--the two I have have served me very well, and might as well still be new for how they look and feel.

I average an 1850-point army a month.
That is incredible. You have my compliments: your speed-painting techniques must be finely honed to a brutal efficiency and your free time copious (unless the armies are commissioned work?).

·
Registered
971 Posts
@Stella, are you using the old style citadel brushes with the red/blue shafts or the new style ones with the different coloured tops on them? If it's the new style, I'd love to know how you've kept them going as all the citadel brushes I've bought lately have been utter shit

1 - 20 of 22 Posts