Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently bought the apocalypse SM Battle Company. I and fairly new to WH 40k and I am looking for some advice as to which chapter to choose. I am a fan of the “fluffy” superiority of the Ultramarines, but don’t know how they hold up in comparison to other chapters. Can some people please share some insight on there thoughts about SM chapters?

·
Registered
176 Posts
My advice would be to make your own chapter, colour scheme and fluff. It'll be more fulfilling the long run and you have additional flexibility since you can use any of SM, DA, SW, BT or BA rules with your models.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
make your own chapter its fun you get to write your own fluff you get to make up names for your commanders.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Since you like the Ultra marines i would suggest make your own chapter based on them. The ultra marines have many sucsesor chapters. This lets you take your favorite bits from the ultra marines fluff and add your own as well.

Can also use any codex if you want to change, also more personal...can be a similar color as well(just not the same)

·
Registered
41 Posts
You bought a battle company without even knowing what to do with it?!?!?!?!?! (falls unconscious)

(wakes up again) I'd advise you to go for the looks you prefer, you're going to be painting a boat load so you better like the scheme. If nothing existing pleases you enough or if you just feel like it, you can make up your own chapter. That's what I did and it's great fun. Also, don't go overboard with convertions if you choose to use traits. You never know when GW is going to make your expensive converted mini obsolete. No traits is better anyways :grin:.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i feel in love with the "palladin" feel of the SM's. Glory and faith. Thanks for the advice guys, much apprciated.

·
Registered
598 Posts
ah, i see. then create your own chapter, based on knights etc.
i saw an example of that in white dwarf
it was quite impressive. but if you wanna go existing, give BT, DA or SW a look

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was torn for the longest time, myself, on what chapter to play. I read alot of novels and had alot of different ideas for SM armies but I ultimately I started a Space Wolf army. I love their story line. It is established but it leaves alot of room for tinkering and individuality. Example: I only use Chaos models for my Wolves. I paint them up like the 13th Company and generally try and make them as scary looking as possible. I think that it is more fitting for the 40k universe, and the spirit of the army as Vikings to looks as dark, gothic, and frightening as I can make them. Ultimately it will come down to personal taste and what makes you happy. I hope you find a good army though, and please post pics and stories:victory:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yeah. Make up your own chapter. Own fluff. everything. Make up your own colourscheme... If you're skilled at painting, go right ahead with it, I say. If not, look around for people's existing schemes. Look in codexes and find your favourite looks. Mix and match all you like. My Marines are the Dark Angels with odd part in purple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts