Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Playing against my buddy I immobilized his Chaos Defiler, and in his shooting phase he wished to shoot with it. Now the rules state you pivot the walker and measure from the gun right? So if the defiler is immobilzed its body is stuck in that position it was when mobilized. He argued that the upper torso is not affected by this immobilization and is still able to rotate it in order to shoot at a unit behind it. I was not sure this was legal because a)his defiler's upper body could not physically pivot as it was glued in place, and i am not sure about the modelling of the unit and if it is supposed to be able to pivot its torso but he put it together wrong and b) Even if he's defiler was able to pivot, its immobilzed, so just has a vehicle cant pivot once immobilzed, how could a walker? can someone clear this up for me

·
Registered
496 Posts
Playing against my buddy I immobilized his Chaos Defiler, and in his shooting phase he wished to shoot with it. Now the rules state you pivot the walker and measure from the gun right? So if the defiler is immobilzed its body is stuck in that position it was when mobilized. He argued that the upper torso is not affected by this immobilization and is still able to rotate it in order to shoot at a unit behind it. I was not sure this was legal because a)his defiler's upper body could not physically pivot as it was glued in place, and i am not sure about the modelling of the unit and if it is supposed to be able to pivot its torso but he put it together wrong and b) Even if he's defiler was able to pivot, its immobilzed, so just has a vehicle cant pivot once immobilzed, how could a walker? can someone clear this up for me
first of all, smack your friend around the face for me :D

if you look in your rule book under firing arc's you will see exactly what happens

he cannot pivot because he is not using a turret mounted weapon (Under firing arc's)

the Battle cannon on a Deifler (im assuming this is the weapon he wanted to fire) is hull mounted, this means he has a 45° firing Arc with it (22.5° either side)

so yea... thats about it XD

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Good point. I personally had allways thought the battle cannon was in a turret on the defiler. Amazing the things you learn.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Walkers may pivot in the moving phase regardless of whether mobile or not. BRB pg 72. He was right.

·
Registered
496 Posts
ahh... stupid rulebook not being anywere near me... looks like i fail XD

·
Registered
86 Posts
Walkers may pivot in the moving phase regardless of whether mobile or not. BRB pg 72. He was right.
Granted I just got off a double shift but I don't see that any where on page 72. Could you please point me at the correct paragraph or header thanks.:)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i have been playing for 4th ed and 5th ed and i have always played that walkers can pivot no matter what. now i have never checked the rules on this, but ever single person i have played that uses walker knows of that. and i have never checked because it makes since. the walker cant move but the torso is mounted on a rotating ball joint. so unless the hydrolics or whatever the 40k universe says gets damaged i dont see why this keep the upper body from turning on the ball joint.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Whats important to note is that Walker pivoting actually turns you around as well. So you can turn right around and shoot at something behind you but then you're stuck facing that way till your next shooting phase.

Aramoro

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whats important to note is that Walker pivoting actually turns you around as well. So you can turn right around and shoot at something behind you but then you're stuck facing that way till your next shooting phase.

Aramoro
However on page 57, where it states that if a vehicle only pivots it doesn't count as moving, then goes on to say that immobilized vehicles may not pivot and the pivot that walkers make is still made by a vehicle, see my point.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
However on page 57, where it states that if a vehicle only pivots it doesn't count as moving, then goes on to say that immobilized vehicles may not pivot and the pivot that walkers make is still made by a vehicle, see my point.
walkers have their own set of rules. just like they dont get assualted on back armor.

·
Registered
86 Posts
walkers have their own set of rules. just like they dont get assualted on back armor.
And no where in those rules does it say that you may pivot while immoblized and main vehicle rules still apply except where changed, in fact the context of that entire paragraph is that the walker is mobile.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
And no where in those rules does it say that you may pivot while immoblized and main vehicle rules still apply except where changed, in fact the context of that entire paragraph is that the walker is mobile.
im sorry man i really dont know, i phrased it in way that it sounded like they have their own rules i meant to say that they might have their own rules because they have other rules like not being assualted fon back armor. so i was saying the immobolize might have different rules for walkers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
im sorry man i really dont know, i phrased it in way that it sounded like they have their own rules i meant to say that they might have their own rules because they have other rules like not being assualted fon back armor. so i was saying the immobolize might have different rules for walkers.
No need to apologize. The thing is people forget paragharph 2 under the vehicle rules header TYPE on page 56. Check it out its very infomative.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Movement rules/= Shooting rules. Walkers pivot in the shooting phase for free with no restrictions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Movement rules/= Shooting rules. Walkers pivot in the shooting phase for free with no restrictions.
Immobilized=Immobilized. The contexext of the rule is a fully mobile walker, read the whole "walker pivot" paragraph. No where does it say "Immobilized" in fact its sais that you'll "remain facing in this direction until its next movement phase" . So that would indecate that fully mobile is the context,if the pivot were allowed it would most likely say Movement or Shooting Phase and use the word Immobile some place in the rule.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Remember, it is RAW not RAI. The actions it can perform in the shooting phase are different than in the movement phase.

And no, a Walker is not a Vehicle. It is a Walker.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts