Votes: 19 51.4%
  • something else (specify)

Votes: 6 16.2%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people prefer out of a chimera and rhino. My vote goes for the chimera. It is a lot more effective, has weapons (not including upgrades) and only costs 70 pts (compared to the rhinos 90). what do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
The lastest batch of Rhinos only cost 35pts and come with extra 'free' upgrades. For a vehicle that is a dedicated TRANSPORT and nothing else, it's a bargain.

The Chimera really serves a different purpose and is often worth the 90+ points spent on it. It is pretty rare that a Chimera is used more in a transport role than as a mobile firebase for the schittload of shots it can put out.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Rhino for transports, so cheap. also whats not to love? they also provide mobile cover and even if destroyed block los.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
It's kind of hard to compare Rhinos and Razorbacks to Chimeras, since they're available to two different armies, and are used for very different things. As raw transports go, Rhinos have the upper hand, I think-- they're cheaper, and the contents are usually much more survivable than guardsmen anyway, so the lesser protection on the front facing doesn't seem to be that big a deal.

The Chimera, on the other hand, is armoured enough to deliver guardsmen into close range, if you really want them there. As Hesp said, though, Chimeras are better off used as anti-infantry platforms. Even without a heavy stubber, a Chimera is capable of spitting out six shots, which is a fair number for anti-infantry purposes.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
and only costs 70 pts (compared to the rhinos 90). what do you think?
Rhino is only 35 for CSM and 50 for SM base. Not 90. For a mobile transport a CSM rhino with extra armor, a tl bolter, and smoke launchers is only 55 pts. A Chimera will run you 85 points or so after the weaponry but before smoke launchers/extra armor. With those it becomes over 100pts, twice as much as the rhino. That's why I prefer the rhino as a transport. The chimera makes a decent mobile firing platform, but I much prefer the devilfish for that role.

Razorback is kind of a waste unless you're going for a crapload of SM tanks. If it moves its full potential it can't shoot, so it's not great at either since it's always not working to its full ability. Plus it can't carry as much.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn. sorry about the 90 pts error. shows what a bad source year 10s are.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
lol... It really is a hard comparison. Still I like all the models for the transports. (except the DE Raider - ich.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rhinos all the way!

·
Registered
147 Posts
rhinos for me too im afraid :( although personally i think they look better than rhinos, but on ther other hand if you painted a chimera yellow it might look odd :s (this is from a modelling point of view)

·
Registered
414 Posts
id have to say rhino. its cheap, there arent many weapons that can take on any vehicle effectively (that isnt anti-tank already) and if it can punch through a rhino then i can most likely go through a chimera so id rather save the +20 points. besides, the 6 shots that a chimera can shoot is based on a D6 so for anybody knows, you could end up rolling a 1. razorbacks are just a waste of points in my opinion. can only take 6 troops and, like Culler said, it would be difficult to use it to its full potential.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think Hespithe said it best its hard to compare them unless you pu one against the other in a one on one cage match.....idea:biggrin:

·
Registered
995 Posts
This is essentially comparing an armored personnel carrier like the M113 to an infantry fighting vehicle like the Bradley or the LAV-25. 2 different purposes. I will illustrate. One is meant to provide an armored transport for troops. The other is meant to be a mobile fire platform that carriers what are essentially scouts. Typically IFVs are heavily armed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I prefer the Chimera, mostly because any unit in my army that can't shoot is a waste of points.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I chose 'something else'.

Namely, the, er... Gorgon. Or the Manta. Either one beats a rhino hands down.

*doesn't get the point*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts